• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Divine Theater

WizWrm

First Post
A couple notes before we jump in:
  • All of the tribes possess knowledge of only extremely basic tool-use; they haven't even really begun to use the simple machines (pulley, wedge, inclined plane, fulcrum, lever, wheel) yet, unless otherwise noted. However, they do all have a reasonably sophisticated language.
  • For simplicity's sake, all races have about the same life-span, which, in their primitive and barbaric state, is currently about forty years.
  • I included all of your first-appearances, but decided to modify a couple for the sake of variety. If there are any objections, I can change them back.
  • As much time can pass between turns as you wish, though I suspect that at first you'll want to spend some time getting yourself involved in your tribe and pushing them out of barbarism.
----
The elves of the Radu tribe - graceful creatures of middling height and muscular build - awoke one day to see a man approaching them from upriver. He came from the north, walking slowly towards the series of caves where they had chosen to stay during the months before the river would flood and drive them back onto the high plateaus of the area. Though they were initially suspicious of his odd clothes - a robe expertly woven from animal hair - and of his inability to speak their language, they quickly took him in, eager to have an extra set of hands to join their hunters in catching fish. Eilil, as the man called himself, quickly learned to communicate with the Radu elves, and adapted to fit into their social ladder. Their leader, Alade, is given much respect, if only because he is the eldest and understands the changing seasons, and knows when the tribe must be moved to higher ground. Below him are the other elders; those too old to care for themselves but wise enough to settle disputes and oversee the day-to-day affairs of the tribe. Below them are the hunters, fishermen who spent their day gathering sustenance for the tribe using their hands and primitive spears. When the fishing is bad, they go searching for berries or fruits. On a level, socially, with the hunters, are the caretakers, men and women of the tribe who are not physically fit or patient enough for the grueling job of catching fish, but were equally important, as they are responsible for the crafts of the tribe - mainly raising children, making spears, scouting caves, or cooking. Finally are the children, who are raised by the caretakers as a group and have little say in the day-to-day activities of the tribe, until they grow to maturity. The Radu are a small tribe, consisting of around forty individuals, equally distributed between men and women. For the most part, they live in caves or in rudimentary tents and lean-tos made of animal skins and mostly-straight fallen tree branches.

Eilil, it is an average day in the existence of your tribe. You have just returned at dusk from a fishing trip that was only mediocre in its success; in fact, the tribe has been getting a bit short on food lately. The fish are scarce, the hunters are having to go farther and farther to gather fruits, and Alade is unsure how the tribe will be able to feed itself in the coming week. Suddenly, for whatever reason, you choose to reveal yourself, and in a brilliant flash of light, you do so. The hunters around you shout in surprise, one of them even dropping his bundle of fish. After the initial shock passes, they gather in a circle around you, obviously unsure of what to do, but none seem confident enough to address you.
----
Attar, you find yourself brought into existence near a tribe (the Jasad, as he would later learn they called themselves) of noble, broad-shouldered, green-skinned humanoids - orcs. They make their home roaming a cold tundra, hunting almost exclusively to obtain food, though there are some edible plants they gather on occasion. Thus, the hunters - the strongest, fastest, and most intelligent of the Jasad - hold the highest social status in the tribe, and the tribe's leader is the best hunter, a position he (or she) holds until either he dies, steps down, or is judged no longer able to think clearly by the other hunters. For shelter, they set up animal-skin lean-tos around a central firepit, but none of it is very permanent, as they must move with the animal herds to feed themselves. When it snows in the winter, the Jasad have learned to retreat along the treeline to protect themselves from worst effects of the bitter cold. Today is just such a day, and the tribe (of about fifty orcs) huddles together around a giant bonfire they built to cook the results of their successful hunt, one in which they also managed to bring down a small group of wolves that threatened the elk the Jasad feed upon. It is the evening, and as they dance in celebration around the fire, you decide to show yourself for the first time. With a thunderous roar of laughter, you spring out of the fire itself in the guise of a man with jet black skin and the head of a lion with a fiery mane, set down his burning spear, and join your tribe in the dance. They are wary of you, and none approach closer than a few dozen feet, but seem pleased, somehow, that you are there. As the celebration comes to a close and the meat finishes cooking, the lead hunter, Yalakar, approaches you carefully. Spear in hand, he asks, "Who are you, and why have you come?"
----
Asveh, you come into existence over a vast grassland, watching a nomadic halfling tribe. Their small stature keeps them hidden in the tall grasses from predators, and there are several fields of wild grain and corn that they wander between to collect food from, each full cycle (reaching all of the fields) taking about two to three years. There are perhaps eighty halflings total, but this is split into five smaller family groups that gather along a riverbed once every half-cycle or so (they measure time in cycles) after the floodwaters drain away, to meet, trading knowledge and food. All adults share equally in decision-making and food-gathering (even the children make a game out of collecting as much corn as possible), but there is a definite distinction between those who choose to follow and those who choose to lead. When arguments break out, it is put to a vote, but when an individual is too stubborn to yield to the majority, it is usually resolved through ceremonialized duels. It is usually warm enough that the halfling families can sleep under large animal-skin blankets, but when it gets colder or rains, they retreat to rocky outcroppings and take shelter in the caves.

After you watch them for about a dozen cycles, the nomads of the great plains gather in a dried, shallow river bed for one of their traditional great meets. On one morning, several days into the meet, a dozen of the tribe's elders convene in the morning, having been troubled by strange dreams. Solemnly, they announce to the gathered families that one has arisen to lead them - Asveh, a great spirit of the plains. Furthermore, they call for your acknowledgement and presence among them, to take your place in the halfling tribe.
----
The Volor tribe of gnomes makes their place on the island that they call Quam, or "the world," in their language, and it is here that you, Irohim, have found yourself. Quam is a tropical island dominated by a central volcano, which is mildly active, and erupts about once every two or three generations. The gnomes live near the coast, hunting marine life or gathering fruit to feed themselves. Besides a few large colonies of seabirds, miscellaneous lizards, and the gnomes themselves, there is virtually no animal life that doesn't spend at least half its time in the water. The Volor gnomes, numbering in the high thirties, is led by five of its eldest members, chosen by a general consensus of the tribe. It takes both popularity and intelligence to be chosen; therefore, it is rare that the any of the elders' decisions is questioned. The weather is good and it is rare that the gnomes need shelter from the elements, but when they do, they find it beneath dense groves of tropical palms.

It is several years after you arrived, and an unseasonal cold snap has touched the island, sending the usually idyllic gnomes into a state of anxiety. It was during one cold night that you chose to show yourself. The air is filled with trepidation, and with the desperate cries of pain of a woman in labour. Then you came down from the sky, your shape that of a naked child, your body as transparent as water, dotted with stars within. Saying no words, but filled with warmth, you ease the woman's pain, and the child is born healthy and strong. The child's father, one of the Volor elders, eyes you, shivering nervously. "I thank you for your generosity, and would like to repay you, though I do not know who you are."
----
Coreagen, you coalesce near a great underground river, which provides food for the Sharalik tribe, milky-eyed humans that have evolved to be able to see through the darkness. They live in relative unawareness of their broader surroundings, have little concept of social structure, and spend their time searching the river and its streams for fish, or defending themselves against predators. This year, though, about two years after you first began to watch them, there are less fish to be had, perhaps due because of the tribe's success and the overfishing that resulted. The Sharalik find themselves starving. However, after several weeks of hardship, the entire tribe feels a spiritual warmth, a feeling of joy and love. The greatest of their fishermen suddenly rises from his normal stooped posture, standing erect and tall. He signals the rest of the tribe to follow him, though even he is unsure of his destination. They travel for two days up one of their more heavily fished-out tributaries, heading uphill all the way. Finally, they reach the place where the river first descends underground, marked by a sparkling waterfall and a trout spawning pool. None of the Sharalik had ever been that far away from their homes, but when they arrive, they decide to stay, and make the forested region surrounding the waterfall their new home.

Last edited:

John E Smoke

First Post
WizWrm said:
Attar, you find yourself brought into existence near a tribe (the Jasad, as he would later learn they called themselves) of noble, broad-shouldered, green-skinned humanoids - orcs. They make their home roaming a cold tundra, hunting almost exclusively to obtain food, though there are some edible plants they gather on occasion. Thus, the hunters - the strongest, fastest, and most intelligent of the Jasad - hold the highest social status in the tribe, and the tribe's leader is the best hunter, a position he (or she) holds until either he dies, steps down, or is judged no longer able to think clearly by the other hunters. For shelter, they set up animal-skin lean-tos around a central firepit, but none of it is very permanent, as they must move with the animal herds to feed themselves. When it snows in the winter, the Jasad have learned to retreat along the treeline to protect themselves from worst effects of the bitter cold. Today is just such a day, and the tribe (of about fifty orcs) huddles together around a giant bonfire they built to cook the results of their successful hunt, one in which they also managed to bring down a small group of wolves that threatened the elk the Jasad feed upon. It is the evening, and as they dance in celebration around the fire, you decide to show yourself for the first time. With a thunderous roar of laughter, you spring out of the fire itself in the guise of a man with jet black skin and the head of a lion with a fiery mane, set down his burning spear, and join your tribe in the dance. They are wary of you, and none approach closer than a few dozen feet, but seem pleased, somehow, that you are there. As the celebration comes to a close and the meat finishes cooking, the lead hunter, Yalakar, approaches you carefully. Spear in hand, he asks, "Who are you, and why have you come?"

Attar's chest swells up as he places a meaty fist over his heart. "Yalakar, finest hunter and chief of the Jasad, know that my name is Attar!" With a great show of might, Attar drives his own spear point-first down deep into the earth, a gesture to show that he is no enemy. Despite this gesture of nonaggression, the light of the bonfire and of his own mane make his leonine features seem all the more menacing.

"Know also I have not come to you at all, for I have already been with you for many seasons. I have appeared to you now, for the Jasad's bravery has made me proud. I have appeared before you because I now can be proud to claim the Jasad as my people!""

Attar roars with laughter once more as he strides forward and claps Yalakar on the shoulder with such unintentional strength that the tribe's leader is nearly taken off his feet.

OOC: I'm not sure about pacing or orientation and whatnot, so I'll just be sticking with the introduction for right now.

Serpenteye

First Post
Asveh, the vast grassland, halfling tribe.

The spirit listens to the elders from the ghostly realm of ether, he hears their words and thoughts and he knows that the time has come. He sits down on an empty spot around the fire, and suddenly they see him for the first time in their waking hours. To each and all he looks different, young and old, male and female and child, and yet they all recognise their own reflection in his form.

Without a word he sooths their startlement and confusion, stands up so that all can see him, and speaks to them in a voice noone can ignore. He/she/it appears utterly calm, a subtle unreadable expression on its features.

"I have tasted the air and the water, I have looked deep within the earth and explored the raging heart of fire. I know that the world is changing. Soon, as I see time, generations from your perspective, the world will be a very different place. That is how it must be, the beasts have ruled this world for too long.
I have been with your tribe for many cycles now, I know each of you, and I know all of you. You have been judged. And you have been found worthy. You are my chosen people, I have come among you to rule you and to save you. The future is yours, and you are mine. Rejoyse, for I will always be with you."

Last edited:

Lichtenhart

First Post
WizWrm said:
The Volor tribe of gnomes makes their place on the island that they call Quam, or "the world," in their language, and it is here that you, Irohim, have found yourself. Quam is a tropical island dominated by a central volcano, which is mildly active, and erupts about once every two or three generations. The gnomes live near the coast, hunting marine life or gathering fruit to feed themselves. Besides a few large colonies of seabirds, miscellaneous lizards, and the gnomes themselves, there is virtually no animal life that doesn't spend at least half its time in the water. The Volor gnomes, numbering in the high thirties, is led by five of its eldest members, chosen by a general consensus of the tribe. It takes both popularity and intelligence to be chosen; therefore, it is rare that the any of the elders' decisions is questioned. The weather is good and it is rare that the gnomes need shelter from the elements, but when they do, they find it beneath dense groves of tropical palms.

It is several years after you arrived, and an unseasonal cold snap has touched the island, sending the usually idyllic gnomes into a state of anxiety. It was during one cold night that you chose to show yourself. The air is filled with trepidation, and with the desperate cries of pain of a woman in labour. Then you came down from the sky, your shape that of a naked child, your body as transparent as water, dotted with stars within. Saying no words, but filled with warmth, you ease the woman's pain, and the child is born healthy and strong. The child's father, one of the Volor elders, eyes you, shivering nervously. "I thank you for your generosity, and would like to repay you, though I do not know who you are."

Irohim reaches after the Elder's hand, with a friendly smile upon his glassy face, and as they touch, one of the stars in his chest shines more brightly, and becomes larger, until images appear all over his body. They show a calm and starry sky over the waves of the sea. Suddenly a shooting star falls from the heavens and drops into the ocean. There a child appears, that shares the nature of the stars and that of the sea, the same child now in front of the gnome elder. The child rises above the waves and looks around to see an island not far away, an island with a towering volcano and crowned with lush palms all around. The isle of Quam. The vision shows Irohim glide above the waters toward the island and his joy in finding the sleeping Volor tribe. He moves silently among the sleeping gnomes, and the children smile in their sleep as he softly touches their forheads. He looks with curiosity at their objects and, when he has a question, he touches one of the sleeping adults and the answer appears as a picture upon his body. When dawn is about to come, and the gnomes start stirring in their sleep, he floats back into the sky, looking lovingly upon them. The vision slowly fades away, as he hopes he explained to the elder who he is; Irohim, the name he chose for himself, really means 'the child of the stars' in the language of the Volor.

The godling stops for a moment, then he takes the Elder's other hand, while several stars start shimmering inside of him, and new images appear: all the Volor wearing a little starfish as a pendant around their neck; an old matron crushing some leaves and fruits in a wooden bowl, to tend an injured youth; boys training some birds to bring back the fishes they catch; two strong gnomes bravely in the middle of the sea upon a wooden shell; the Elder, much older, lying among his sons and daughters and grandchildren, and Irohim coming down from the sky, invisible to their weeping eyes, taking the hand of the elder with great gentleness, leading his soul, transparent, with a single bright star within, out of his body, and carrying it into the sky; and finally the whole tribe of the Volor, more than a hundred of them, happy and laughing, celebrating near large bonfires, under the starry sky.

Last edited:

Wrahn

First Post
Coreagen watches a young girl as she carefully studies a frog hop towards the river. It is the first frog any of the Sharalik have seen and he is delighted that the girl, Aesa, is so fascinated by it.

He can hear the tribe talking, they are afraid, afraid of the great ceiling that changes. Some even talk of returning. That is a trap, a dead end. There is a limited amount of food there, which can only supply a limited amount of people. If the Sharalik are to survive there, they would need to control how many children they could have. He looks back at Aesa, hopping along with the frog, That I would not like.

Coreagen reaches out and touches Aesa’s mind, asking to share her body, if only for a little while. He is filled with joy at her acceptance. As he looks through her eyes, he is taken by the wonder of the night sky, alight with stars without number. He can feel Aesa giggle at his awe and he laughs with her.

As they approach the meeting of the tribe, they can see the effect of Coreagen’s manifestation has, a slight confusion, with a look of contentment and joy. As he reaches the circle he speaks to them for the first time, "My name is Coreagen, Aesa has graciously allowed me to speak through her.” His voice carries an undeniable power, like two voices over laid on each other. “I am not as you, I am different. As the Earth is the Sharalik’s mother, so I am your father. I am here to guide you and help you.”

"I know you are frightened, all children are frightened when delivered from their mother’s womb, but there is no return. You have made the journey and you have emerged into a strange new world that has many unknowns, in truth there is much to fear, but there is much to know as well, much to delight in. I will teach and shelter you, protect you from harm as any father should.”

Last edited:

WizWrm

First Post
Attar:
Yalakar straightens, an odd look on his face, though he seems pleased. "Then welcome." He touches his brow. "I see that you are strong, though you are clearly different from the Jasad."

By now, a small group has gathered around the two of you. One bold orc calls out, "What can you bring to our tribe? I shall not accept you as a tribesman until you prove your worth." Yalakar stands impassively; he does not react to the orc's statement.

Asveh:
The elders glance at each other, then kneel in unison. "I am Asurin," says one of them. "On behalf of the tribe, I welcome you. What would you have us do?"

Irohim:
The elder says, his voice full of awe, "It is a wonderful thing that you show us, this vision of peace. Shall it ever come to pass? What were those two boys doing? It looked as if those birds were serving them. And why was the woman crushing the food? I'm afraid I don't understand."

He looks truly apologetic that he can't fully comprehend your message.

Coreagen:
They approach you cautiously. The man that you first led out of the caves asks if it was you that brought them to the fish, and when you confirm it, he bows and thanks you. They question you, asking what it is that they ought to do next to stave off hunger.

Serpenteye

First Post
Asveh, the vast grassland, halfling tribe.

WizWrm said:
Asveh:
The elders glance at each other, then kneel in unison. "I am Asurin," says one of them. "On behalf of the tribe, I welcome you. What would you have us do?"

He looks deep into Asurin's eyes and nods solemly in reply. "I greet you Asurin, and you Hesaras, Osera, Esarin and Larar (ooc: he knows their names from the dreams). You will keep your places as the leaders of your families, and make my commands come true."

He then turns to adress the whole tribe. His voice is strong and slightly mesmerising

"I have seen you range far across the plain in your cycles from field to field. I have seen you fall to predators in the wilderness, and grow weak and sick from hunger because of fields grown poor or crops eaten by animals before you could arrive. I have seen you hunted and restless, just another species of prey in the food-chain. I would have you fulfill the potential I see in you, the potential to live better, safer and richer lives."

He pulls a young corn-plant out of the ground and turns it over. Holding it in front of the elders so that they can see it in detail he directs their attention to the seed the plant is growing out of.

"You recognise this seed, this grain of corn? One of your tribe dropped it here when you arrived a few days ago. It was trampled into the ground, and started growing. Soon it would have grown into an adult plant, with dozens of yellow seeds of corn. You planted this seed here, and you made it grow."

He/She/It looks at them gravely.

"You realise now what it is I propose? The logical conclusion of my speach. Where you have planted one seed by accident you can plant a hundred seeds by design. Not all of them will survive and grow, but if enough of them thrives you will have created a new field.
You will no longer have to walk your long and dangerous cycles. You can now plant your food where ever you want, and you can all live together by your fields, protected by your numbers and permanent defenses."

He speaks in more conviction, his voice pounding his message into their minds.

"This is what I would have you do. Travel to your richest field, the one near the great river where the soil is deep and black. Leave two families there with as much food as you can spare, then the rest of you will continue on the cycle to gather more grain and return to the black fields when the cycle is complete.
Those of you left behind will clear the fields of undesired plants to allow the grains more room to grow. You will expand the fields in the late autumn and the winter and sow more seeds in the spring. Plant all the fruit-trees and vegetables you usually eat, let those plants that thrive remain among the species you plant and sow. When the fields have grown ripe you will harvest and store your food for the year."

He kicks a tuft of wiry tough grass, clinging to the soil with strong deep roots.

"I know what you are thinking. Clearing new fields will not be easy by use of force alone, but fire can kill everything that grows and, if used right, can make your work easy. Care must be taken, of course, so that the fire doesn't grow too far."

The tuft of grass rolls into the fire, prodded by a light kick. Soon nothing is left of it but ashes.

"In a few cycles time noone will longer have to range far afield in search of food. Soon you will all live by the black fields and the great river, and food will be plentiful. Then you will have enough food for all the children you can breed, for that land can feed thousands. So breed, then. Clear and plant more and more fields, for there is greater safety in numbers and there is nothing more precious than children."

Last edited:

Kavyk

First Post
WizWrm said:
The elves of the Radu tribe - graceful creatures of middling height and muscular build - awoke one day to see a man approaching them from upriver. He came from the north, walking slowly towards the series of caves where they had chosen to stay during the months before the river would flood and drive them back onto the high plateaus of the area. Though they were initially suspicious of his odd clothes - a robe expertly woven from animal hair - and of his inability to speak their language, they quickly took him in, eager to have an extra set of hands to join their hunters in catching fish. Eilil, as the man called himself, quickly learned to communicate with the Radu elves, and adapted to fit into their social ladder. Their leader, Alade, is given much respect, if only because he is the eldest and understands the changing seasons, and knows when the tribe must be moved to higher ground. Below him are the other elders; those too old to care for themselves but wise enough to settle disputes and oversee the day-to-day affairs of the tribe. Below them are the hunters, fishermen who spent their day gathering sustenance for the tribe using their hands and primitive spears. When the fishing is bad, they go searching for berries or fruits. On a level, socially, with the hunters, are the caretakers, men and women of the tribe who are not physically fit or patient enough for the grueling job of catching fish, but were equally important, as they are responsible for the crafts of the tribe - mainly raising children, making spears, scouting caves, or cooking. Finally are the children, who are raised by the caretakers as a group and have little say in the day-to-day activities of the tribe, until they grow to maturity. The Radu are a small tribe, consisting of around forty individuals, equally distributed between men and women. For the most part, they live in caves or in rudimentary tents and lean-tos made of animal skins and mostly-straight fallen tree branches.

Eilil, it is an average day in the existence of your tribe. You have just returned at dusk from a fishing trip that was only mediocre in its success; in fact, the tribe has been getting a bit short on food lately. The fish are scarce, the hunters are having to go farther and farther to gather fruits, and Alade is unsure how the tribe will be able to feed itself in the coming week. Suddenly, for whatever reason, you choose to reveal yourself, and in a brilliant flash of light, you do so. The hunters around you shout in surprise, one of them even dropping his bundle of fish. After the initial shock passes, they gather in a circle around you, obviously unsure of what to do, but none seem confident enough to address you.

"Do not fear, my children. You know me well, for I am Eilil, who has lived among you. I have shared your sorrow and your grief. I know your joy and your pleasure. And today, I know your concerns, for there is not enough food and the fishing is scarce."

Eilil turns to Alade. "Alade, elder of this village, leader of my people, I will show you many things which will help you to grow."

Eilil smiles benevolently as he spreads his arms wide as if to embrace the entire tribe. Then the glow around him fades slightly, so that his people may look upon him and see the features with which they are familiar. "Gather close, listen carefully, and I will tell you how to gather roots which you can eat, rather than rely solely upon the fruits of the trees and berries of the bushes. I will tell you of certain river plants which are also edible."

Without delay, awaiting no accolades, he launches into a lecture on the plants which they should seek out, using a portion of his own light to create an image of them so that the people may find them easier. "Go now and collect them. You will need to dig deep, for it is the roots of the plant, that part which extends below the soil, which you will want to eat."

Lichtenhart

First Post
WizWrm said:
Irohim:
The elder says, his voice full of awe, "It is a wonderful thing that you show us, this vision of peace. Shall it ever come to pass? What were those two boys doing? It looked as if those birds were serving them. And why was the woman crushing the food? I'm afraid I don't understand."

He looks truly apologetic that he can't fully comprehend your message.

Irohim gently caresses the Elder's brow, always with a comforting smile, then invites him to sit down. The godling then sits in front of him, keeping the Elder's right hand with his left hand, and placing his right hand on the Elder's chest. The Elder begins feeling an intense warmth as Irohim's stars slowly flow through his body, shimmering. This time, as the pictures appear on the starchild's body, the Elder can see them in his head as well, and feel them as if he was part of them.
He feels that the little starfish he saw his people bear would be a sign of brotherhood between the Volor and Irohim; he feels the pain of the injured man, and then his relief when the old woman smears the salve she did on his wounds, but he also feels the attention and care of the woman while preparing the salve, and he remembers with her when she, much younger, followed the godling into the forest, and he taught her which plants and fruits she had to pick.
He feels the forgotten feeling of a young and fresh body on his bones, while he becomes one of the children on the beach, and the excitement of a contest, while he and his friends incite their birds; he tastes joy and exhilaration when the first bird to resurface with a nice plump fish is his own, and pride as he gives the bird two of those dried toads they seem to enjoy much more than the fish.
He feels the salt on his skin after days upon the sea, as he travels with the two gnomes in the wooden shell, and as he touches it, he can recall the work of the carpenters back at home, carving it on the shore, following a dream they had on a starry night, and he can experience the awe as they reach another island, an new world for them to explore.
And when he sees again his people merrily feasting, he feels Irohim's burning desire to be one with his tribe, to help and protect them, to share their joys and ease their grieves, for he really is their brother, and only wants them to prosper and be happy.

The starchild lets the last stars flow out of the Elder back into his body, then leaves the Elder's hand. He waits there, sitting in front of him, a little child naked on the sand, looking at his older brother with eyes full of love, wondering if he will accept and welcome him, of if he will have to return to the sky sad and alone.

Last edited:

Remove ads