• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Divine Theater

WizWrm

First Post
Asveh:
They nod and bow deeply. "Thank you for your wisdom. We shall do as you say." The halflings soon begin to organize themselves, and soon enough, two families volunteer to stay behind at the first field of the next cycle (the best of the lot) to clear it for planting. Soon after they arrive, one inventive halfling determines how to burn trenches around the area they need to set aflame, and they manage to clear the field in a reasonable amount of time. Four cycles (about ten years) pass, and soon the halfling tribes are fat with the bounty of the soil. By this time, they have even learned to store excess grain for the winter in giant cairns, which they build out of scattered boulders and rocks. Their moment of triumph is marked by a decision that the great meets of times past are no longer necessary; the fields provide all the food they need, and the tribes no longer need to wander about.

However, this has an unforeseen side effect as well. The once-nomadic halflings, now settled down, have become easy targets for predators, especially the roaming packs of wolves, who have teeth as long as a halfling's finger. When they roamed through their grain cycles, it was rare that the wolves would be able to find them, but now that they no longer need to move about, the crafty predators have learned that the camp is an easy source of food. Guards are set at night, but achieve only limited success in driving the creatures away from the giant blankets that they sleep under. It is one night towards the end of summer, soon before the rainy season, when you hear Hesaras calling for your help. You look down and see that he has been posted as a guard, along with four other halflings, and that they are under attack by nearly a dozen wolves, led by one of unusually large size.

Eilil:
In the morning, Alade and several fishermen are sent out to gather the roots and plants that you instructed them to find. Since they've never looked towards these plants for food before, when they come back, they are bent over with great amounts of the edibles, lashed together with flexible branches. Despite the obviously difficult labor, the fishermen are grinning and laughing as they return, and that night there is a great feast. While some of the elves are hesitant to try the new food, when Alade takes the first bite and declares it delicious, they quickly dive in. They decide to dedicate the feast to you, and Alade solemnly proclaims that from here on out, there shall be at least one day every season devoted in thanks to your wisdom.

Irohim:
The elder nods, gazing at you in wonder. "I understand. The birds are to be rewarded, then, when they do as we wish, and punished when they do not. Pieces of wood float, and even rocks will stay above water when they are seated on wood; thus, enough wood shall allow us to float as well."

With your vision in mind, and under your occasional instruction, within a few weeks they manage to train several birds to recover fish for them, and to construct a half-dozen wooden shell-boats that allow them to plumb the bounty beyond the shores. A few days later, one of the elders goes into the forest, seeking the herbs and fruits that you described as medicine. When he returns, they fashion a salve which is used to ease the pain of a gnome that was wounded after falling across a sharp rock. The gnome prays to you in thanks, and the Elder recalls the other part of your vision - the starfish that signifies their bond with you. The next morning, a trio of gnomes are sent to gather dried starfish and string them on necklaces as a sign of the Volor tribe's devotion; soon the entire tribe is wearing them. When they call to you while wearing the necklaces, you feel as if it is somehow easier to respond to than before.

Despite their appreciation, many gnomes still resist the idea of traveling to a new island; there are none within sight of the shore, and they worry about becoming lost or caught in a storm, out of reach of their kinsmen. Besides this, the eldest of the gnomish oligarchy, named Angariful, is the first to pass away under your oversight, no doubt due to his advanced age. This only further encourages their reluctance to sail away from Quam. You feel his spirit calling out to you, asking for your guidance. What do you want to try to do? You have a lot of options available to you, limited only by what you are willing to try.

Wrahn

First Post
”It was the courage of the Sharalik that brought you here, I merely was the guide, as were you.” Aesa/Coreagen responds to his question.

“The food here at our Fountain Home should last for a while, but even here, eventually the food will dwindle and again the Sharalik would be forced to move. This is because we become out of balance with what your mother provides.”

“It is as a pool fed by a spring.” Coreagen lifts Aesa’s arm and closes her eyes. A spring of water begins to fill a depression near the gathering. ”A certain number of animals can drink from the pool, too few and the pool with over run it’s boundaries.” Several small creatures come forth and begin to drink from the pool, but the pool overfills and begins to drain to the river. “Too many and the spring will not be able to maintain the pool and it shall dwindle till it can no longer maintain itself and the animals have nothing left to drink.” More, larger animals appear, the pool quickly is drank leaving little or nothing left, the animals all leave, the pool begins to slowly refill. “The fish are like this pool, and at the Sharalik’s previous home, you had drank too much.”

“It is a riddle, as is life. You can not drink as much, but then you will become weak with thirst. You can maintain a constant number that is in balance with your mother, but then your numbers will never grow and you will not have the joy of children. You could move from pool to pool as need requires, but the world is dangerous.”

“The answer lies with your mother. She loves her children, just as I do. She will help you if you know how to ask.” Aesa giggles a little as she is instructed what she needs to do. Lead my Coreagen she sings an odd harmony, calling to the spirits of the water. It is oddly beautiful and compelling. When she is done, nothing happens.

Aesa laughs in pure joy, “Their coming, their coming!” she runs to where the little spring is gurgling up water. She squats down looking closely at it. Distinctively, Coreagen laughs, “Aesa child, I think they love you a little too much, it is best if we take a few steps back.”

As Aesa takes several steps back, a low rumbling can be heard. Suddenly, from the spring a huge gout of water shoots up. Where there had been a bubbling spring, there was now a geyser, shooting water a forty feet in the air, raining water down on the collected tribe.

John E Smoke

First Post
Attar and the Jasad

"Different? Hah! You are one of the wisest of the tribe, Yalakar, but in this you are wrong. I am the Jasad."

Attar turns to the bold orc and sneers. A low growl rumbles deep within his throat as he bares his sharp fangs, and in an instant he is in close enough enough to the young hunter for them to feel each other's breath. As the orc begins to sweat from the intense heat eminating from Attar's burning mane, the godling answers.

"Jorah, you were part of the hunt today. I watched as you took that brief chance to deliver a fatal strike to the largest of the wolves. I felt your exhiliaration as you realised what you had accomplished. I felt your pride swell as the others cheered. But despite all of this, you have failed to understand the meaning of this deed."

Attar steps back and begins to walk around the circle as he speaks, taking a moment to look each of the tribesmen in the eyes. "Those beasts have always been a great danger to the Jasad. They are strong, and they are swift. And yet today they have fallen before the tribe's might! The Jasad are stronger than any beast! They are better than any beast!"

The godling stops in front of one in the circle. "Surlag, the past year has been very hard, hasn't it? Your woman and your children have all fallen sick, and though they have recovered, much more time is needed for them to regain their strength. The next move is but a few days and nights away, and you fear that they may not last the journey if they must share the burden of your family's belongings. But why must they? Why shouldn't someone else do this? Understand this, Surlag. Your station may be low within the Jasad, and you cannot make the tribe do this for you. But even the lowest Jasad is better than an animal! Make the beasts do your work!"

"Jorah, this is what I have to offer. The wisdom to understand your great deeds. The pride to appreciate them. And most importantly, the ambition to surpass them."

Attar snatches Jorah's spear and jabs it against a large stone, dulling its point. "So you see, this spear isn't even as strong as the fangs of the beasts you slew today. Yet still our people stood against them and through bravery and cunning dispatched them with so weak a weapon. Just imagine what you could accomplish with a greater weapon!"

Casting down the useless spear, Attar crosses his arms and stands before the brash orc, looking him in the eye with insurmountable confidence. "Of course, if you still disagree with me, you are welcome to challenge me. If you are strong enough, then I will listen to your words." A brief flare of Attar's burning mane puncuates his last statement...

OOC: Two main ideas I'm trying to push; first, better weapons mean better hunting, and second, beasts of burden/riding animals make life easier.

Last edited:

WizWrm

First Post
Coreagen:
One of the Sharalik steps forward. He closes his eyes, breathes deeply, and tries to imitate the magic you summoned through Aesa. It takes him a few tries, but he has a good memory, and succeeds within short order. Although he only manages a small stream, he looks pleased, but seems somehow exhausted by the magic.

He says, "I am pleased you have come. Water is excellent, but are there fish to populate it? Where shall we get our food, if we are to leave the Fountain Home?"

Attar:
The bold orc, Jorah, nods curtly. "Then you offer knowledge," he says, and steps back to his place in the circle that has gathered around you. "I will see if it is of use. I shall judge you, as you judge me."

Yalakar asks, "These are fine words, Attar, but there are few beasts who can bear much weight. Elk, caribou...they have weak backs that will break. Wolves, perhaps, but they are vicious and would likely not easily submit to our needs. And mightier weapons? What do you suggest? These fire-hardened spears have served the Jasad well for generations."

Serpenteye

First Post
Asveh:

In the years since his creation Asveh had been roaming the plains in his spirit form, watching over his people, and studying the beasts and the land. There was much to learn, if one only knew how to look.

When his attention turned once again to the tribe, drawn there by their call for help, he understood the nature of the threat and realised the possibility that it could be turned to an advantage. The wolves were strong and fierce, but they were also hierchal creatures, instintively following the leaders of their pack. If those leaders could be made to submit, the tribe could gain powerful allies.
His decision made, he descends into the body of Hesaras, right in front of the leader of the approaching wolves. He snarls a challenge to the beast, filling the body of Hesaras with his power. When the wolf leaps at him he steps forwards, under the animal, grabs it by the neck, pivots and throws it down on its back. Then, before it can recover from the impact he launches himself on the wolf, pinning it, and places his hands around its exposed and vulnerable throat. Staring straight into its eyes he growls again, with the voice of an Alpa-male. The wolds yips in fear and it visibly submits. He steps down from the beast and snarls at the other wolves, daring them to challenge his authority. They back away slowly, hesitant and fearful, then they too surrender.

He speaks then to Hesaras mind and the minds of the other guards, "Let this serve as an example for you, and for the entire tribe. Regardless of their strength or ferocity most animals can be made to submit. Any animal that lives in a pack has the instincts of obedience in its mind and those instincts can be harnessed to bind them willingly into your service. The strength of the beasts can be turned to your advantage, but the process is not easy. These adult wolves will never truly be yours, they will remain wild for as long as they live, though they will obey you for some time still. No, only the young are malleable enough to be shaped into your servants. They must be taken from their pack when they have been weaned and be raised with your people. They must be trained and treated with kindness, but greater firmness than you show your children so that they will always know their place. If you train them right they can guard you and carry you in the hunt. You will no longer be their prey, but their masters."

------

part 2.

The day after the attack Asveh appears yet again in front of the assembled tribe. He reminds them of his words last night and walks slowly down to the riverside. The river is low this time of the year, and a thick strip of dried clay is bordering the water behind a darker strip of clay that is still wet and soft.
When the Halflings have followed him he turns to them once again.
"The attack we suffered last night will not be the last. Wether or not we manage to tame the wolves to serve us there will always be new packs, other wolves and worse. I cannot always defend you, I cannot always intervene in every crisis. I will guide you and help you, but most of the effort must always be yours."
"Think back a moment to the earlier attacks. The wolves came amongst you suddenly, moving faster than your guards, and struck at the sleeping. When the guards came against them with their stones and torches they fled back out into the night, but often with an unfortunate victim in their jaws. The blankets were nearly useless for protection. The need for better defences is obvious. We cannot leave our fields."
"That is why I have led you here, to the waterside. Look at the ground beneath your feet. It is as hard as rock here, yet closer to the water it is soft and malleable. And yet it is the same material. The warmth of the sunlight has driven the wetness out of the clay, and when it has dried it has also hardened. The dried clay will turn soft again when the river rises, but a mere shower of rain will not suffice to soften it."
"Consider, thus, what would happen if the clay was molded before it dried. Don't you think it would dry in the same form?
"Remenber your cairns. You use stones to wall off your food and preserve it, but the stones are uneven and do not fit together. Water and mice come in trough the cracks and much food is lost. If you could have moulded the stones to fit together the cairns could have been built waterproof. They could have been built higher and safer with lesser risk of collapse. People could have built their own cairns for themselves and their families. Safe and dry dwellings where wolves couldn't reach them."
"This dried clay is almost as hard as stone. Couldn't it be used for the same purpose? To build cairns, dwellings and protective walls around the settlement to keep unwanted predators out."

Last edited:

Wrahn

First Post
Coreagen projects a great pride at Delak’s accomplishment, “I commend you, Delak.”

“But you are correct, water without food will not sustain you. There are spirits every where, in everything. With time and effort, I will show you how to persuade them to help you.”
Aesa and Coreagen walk to a nearby bush, which has berries growing from it. Aesa reaches out plucking one, she looks at it and then pops it into her mouth. Signaling the rest of the tribe, others come and eat the sweet berries, leaving the bush barren.

Coreagen speaks again, “The bush is like the pool. Too many have drank from it and now it is useless to us. In time, the berries will regrow, but like the spirits of the water, so the spirits of the plants will aid us, if we know how to ask.” Coreagen again lifts Aesa’s arm closing her eyes, berries start regrowing on the bush, soon it is as full as it had been before the Sharalik had taken it’s fruit.

“This is of course not free, there is a cost to us and a cost to the spirit that is aiding us. As you felt when you called the water spirits Delak. It will take time for any of the Sharalik to be able to call the berries forth from such a complex spirit as the bush.”

”Come.” Aesa leads them into the cave, she reaches down and picks up a sharp rock, and begins scratching pictures into the wall, “There are orders to spirits, starting with the most fundamental, Earth Water, Air and Fire.” Coreagen points to the symbols he drew for them, “The elemental spirits are the easiest to call, for they are the closest to your mother.”

Pointing above at the tree they have drawn, “Closest to the elemental spirits are the plants, like the bush or the tree. These spirits are more complex and are mostly unknown to the Sharalik. It will take time to befriend them and have them do your bidding.”

“Beyond those are the animal spirits, like the fish or the cave stalkers. These are more complex and less you are able to call upon them to do, as their own purpose is stronger and they are further removed from your mother.” Above the tree is a picture of a fish.

“Then there are the Sharalik, you too are of your mother, but it will be a very long time before any of you are ready to attempt a self aware spirit, but when you are able, you will be able to heal wounds and cure disease.” Above the fish is a picture of a man.

Above the man is a vague image, but he leaves that unexplained. “There is much to do my children. Delak, I would like you to help as many people as you can to learn how to call water. It is the first step along a path. Gather the fish here, at the fountain home,” they indicate the large pool where the waterfall dumps the trout. “For now it shall sustain us, while we learn how to survive in other ways.”

Aesa/Coreagen point at two of the bravest of the Sharalik, “You two need to look around outside of the Fountain Home. There is a very large world out there. There is much to discover and learn.”

“Aesa, child, I have a very important job for you. I want you to draw the story of the Sharalik, to tell those who come after us where we came from and as we continue to know more, you should continue to draw so the whole of the history of the Sharalik is known.”

Kavyk

First Post
Eilil is pleased with his people and the feast in his honor. "You have done well, my people. Next, we will look to the future so that you may eat always as you feast tonight." He goes on to explain how they can gather the root vegetables and take the seeds from them. Then he explains that the ground is very fertile and that if the seeds are planted in the earth, then they will grow just like the wild vegetables, except when they grow, the tribe will not have to go so far to find them. Since the entire tribe doesn't need to be present to do this, he suggests that the children do this work, with help from a pair of men and a pair of women. Again, he uses the light from his body to illustrate the point, weaving illusions in the air so that even the simplest child can see how the work should be done.

He then explains that the other adults should begin cutting down a few trees tomorrow, ten to be exact, and he will show them how to shape better houses from them, so they will not have to fear the flood.

He then takes Alade aside. "Alade, you will be the first of my tribe who learns to channel the power which I possess. You must swear always to use it for the good of the Tribe and never for purposes which would harm another tribesman, though in time, you will learn to use it to protect the tribe from harm. If you can agree to this, I will teach you to wield the light as I do."

WizWrm

First Post
Asveh:
The largest wolf, the one you threw to the ground, gets up, snarling. Suddenly, it does something very odd: it stands up on its hind legs, and as you watch, its canine form seems to almost flow. Legs lengthen, the thick hair recedes, its snout shortens, and its eyes shift, going from canine viciousness to sharp intelligence. It has changed, subtly and quickly, into a halfling man. You have a strange feeling that if you hadn't been watching the whole process, you might have missed the change.

You recognize the man - it is Osafar, a member of the first family to stay behind and sow the farms. He snarls at you, almost wolflike, "I think not, Asveh. You shall never make my people submit." You feel the growing fear in Hesaras as he steps back, away from Osafar.

When this situation is resolved, we can move on to the clay.

Coreagen:
Aesa says, "Yes, yes! I will keep the story! Where shall I put it?"

The two brave Sharalik you pointed at nod reverently, and set off the next morning to go exploring. They plan to return to the Sharalik in a week and share what they have found. Meanwhile, Delak goes among the tribe and does his best to teach them how to summon the water. He has only limited success; despite the entire tribe's best efforts, only another half-dozen are able to learn the magic. The rest, even though they are mimicking the proper gestures, rhythm, and chant perfectly, are unable to summon the water. In addition, those that do succeed quickly become fatigued after they summon the water only a few times. One man pushes himself too far, and faints, a feverish sweat glistening on his brow where he lies on the ground. You sense that he is merely sleeping and will recover in several hours, having become extremely exhausted by the magic.

Eilil:
The Radu elves are quick studies and soon manage to plant a large patch of land near the river with the seeds, about two hundred yards square. You fashion a few basic axes for some of the fishermen, and they pick up the technique, eventually making enough so that the trees are able to be cut down in a reasonable amount of time. However, during the work, one of the elves says, "It is not lack of good shelter that keeps us away during the flood season. When the rains come, the river flows over its banks and fills this entire area to a depth taller than a man's head. We retreat to higher ground to avoid being drowned, although we always find the river plants to have flourished when we return."

In response to your words, Alade says, "I am honored, Eilil, to be the first. I shall keep this honor sacred, as you request."

Lichtenhart

First Post
Irohim - Volor Gnomes - Isle of Quam

Irohim perfectly understands his people's fear of abandoning Quam, but he can see far away across the sea, to the new experiences that wait for them. There is no hurry though, the hour is not come. When the tribe will be larger, and the youngster will be overcome with curiosity, he'll be there to guide them. But it's not the time yet, and Quam is still the Volor's whole world. Not for Angariful, though, for his Time of Passage has come.

The starchild climb down from the sky and once again walks the soil of Quam, but this time he is invisible to the Volor's eyes, his shape completely transparent, for the Time of Passage is a private thing. He walks to where his body is lying, surrounded by his family, and hears his soul calling at him, longing for release. Irohim touches his hand, guiding his spirit to light and freedom, and as the gnomes leaves his mortal body behind, emerging as a clear soul with a single bright star in the chest, the godling takes his hand and lifts him up into the sky. Irohim bring Angariful's spirit to a star, that blossoms like a flower as they approach, welcoming them, revealing a place within, a place made by Angariful's dreams, where he can live happy.

There are also three things that didn't came from the gnome's imagination: a pool of incredibly limpid water, where they can see Quam, far below, but if only they will it, the vision becomes clearer, and the Elder can clearly see his family, weeping for him; then a vase, full of shining white petals, and Irohim, still holding his hand, shows him how he can use them to help his family and friends should they ever need it, pouring some of them on the pool; and finally an altar, white as a pearl, and a candid fire burning upon it. Never leaving his hand, Irohim explains the elder he's have to play every day a flute made of a shell, to keep the fire alive, for that is the warm heart of the star, that would perish and be swallowed into the darkness without it. He also shows him that whenever he will feel ready to return to Quam, he'll only have to dive into the pool, and he will be born again. He shows how every star in the sky is the home of a Volo that has yet to be born, and that many others are waiting for their turn to shine, till the end of times, when all the sky will be full of stars, the darkness will cease to exist, and all the Volor will live in the place of dreams.

Then Irohim lets his hand go, leaving him into his star, his new home, and returns to his family, this time visible and filled with a great light. He invites them to touch him, and when they do, they can feel right what Angariful felt, and how he still loves them and lives in peace watching above them, until the light within him fades, and Irohim fades from their sight as well.

Last edited:

Wrahn

First Post
“Here Aesa, I think this is a good place for the start of history.” Coreagen indicates a part of the cave wall. “And when you are done, we shall call upon the stone.” He raises Aesa’s hand once again, and the scratched drawings that he made, showing the hierarchy of the spirit world dig deeper into the earth, carving them into the stone.

He will go to the scouts, Oeln and Sama, “This is a dangerous thing I ask of you, your bravery is a credit to the Sharalik. I would offer advice to you both. Keep you distance from anything large. Try to remain unobserved. Keep to the River, this isn’t like the caves, you can easily get lost, use the river as your guide. It shall also provide food and water for you. Travel when the burning orb, the sun, has left the ceiling, the sky, your ability to see in the darkness is better than most animals and it will aid you.”

Coreagen will help Aesa draw with the sharp rock in the stone. He will gently and subtly guide her to stylize her pictures, so that all men look the same as do the women. He impresses upon her the idea of using symbols for things rather than just drawing free form. When she is done (with the very brief history of the Sharalik) he will have her present it to the tribe and he will again carve it into the walls of the Fountain Home.

OOC: Coreagen is trying to start teaching the tribe simple pictographic written language.

After Aesa presentation, he will address the tribe again, “You all know what you need to do. Delak, keep working with those that can call water. With patience you will be able to grow stronger. I shall return when you are ready.” The feeling of love and joy intensifies, like a warm spiritual hug and then it is gone, as is Coreagen.

Coreagen shall keep his presence masked and shall keep his attention alternately on the scouts and on the tribe during the next week.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads