• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Fallen Angel

((Mik - please make sure to look at the God Talks to Me! thread - it's got Commume questions. If you feel that I haven't looked into it closely enough or want me to ask another, more specific, question post it and I will. But it seems pretty clear that if you choose to do this - whenever you choose to do it - the Circle will lose Archonus and you will be playing a new character... AND we'll be fighting an even more powerful Archonus fully equipped with scales.

It is not a question of sacrificing a life to save others - it is much, much more than that. It is essentially handing yourself over to the people we've been fighting all along. If you walk the Shadowpath, you will be come a devotee of Tain's darkness. You will BELIEVE in his doctrine. So, in the end, it's not really a sacrifice at all. It's more like a very powerful gift to Tain and Mordred.

However, out of character - Liz thinks it would be really cool. :) :p))

Last edited:

Xath

Moder-gator
Confessions

As Archon turns to follow her, Xath turns and makes her way towards the forest which surrounds the city. When they reach a secluded enough spot, she turns to face him.

“If I couldn’t feel you up here,” she says, pointing to her head, “the first words out of my mouth would be ‘Who the hell are you and what have you done to my fiancée?’” She waits for an answer, but he says nothing and tries to hide his reactions in the shadows. She continues. “But since I can feel you up here,” she grabs his arm to keep him from hiding, “I want you to tell me what is going on with you.”

“The war has changed all of us,” he says. “I’m sure you have felt it as well. I’m trying to end this war, and the circle just thinks I’m trying to martyr myself again.”

“Changed?” she asks indignantly. “I’m sure you remember, Archonus, that I have gone through some major changes throughout the course of this war. But through it all, I have still managed to retain the true essence of myself. And lately I fear that you have lost that. What has happened to you?”

“Is the truth really what you seek?” he asks solemnly. She nods. With a heavy sense of finality he says, “So be it.”

In a rush, a barrage of images and memories flood through the rings. Xath witnesses first hand what truly happened to Oceanus, including Arfin’s wish, the deck of many things, the armies of angels and demons, Archon being sent to the Bluestar, his wish to dispel the apocalypse that Arfin had unwittingly unleashed, and his swearing of the oath to the Lichlord. A blur of scattered memories flood through, and she feels his conflict in both identity and love. Before she can catch her breath, the barrage begins again, this time beginning with the death of Archonus Bluestar, through his own eyes. As Laren drives his blade into her neck, she falls into darkness; the only sound she hears is the scream of Archonus Arendorr.

Once again, she finds herself on the docks of Oceanus, this time as an onlooker. She sees Archonus Arendorr and Archonus Bluestar battling on the docks and watches as they tumble into the wreckage-choked waves, hundreds of feet below. With a start, she returns to the present, the one Archonus standing before her.

“That is my change,” he says, “if you consider it a change at all.”

Xath trembles, trying to absorb all of this information, and she hurriedly sits on the leaf-strewn ground. She looks up to him, a strange mixture of sympathy, shock, confusion, and compassion on her face. For a few moments she is too shocked to speak. Archonus takes a step back into the shadows and turns away, trying to hide the look of regret on his face. A few moments pass and she speaks. “I’m glad you told me, Archonus.”

She stands and embraces him. He returns her embrace, but turns his head and stares off towards the palace. She steps back, noticing where his attentions have turned. “And so you are now both Archonus Arendorr and Archonus Bluestar.”
“Both,” he says, “or neither.”

“And you love her,” she asks, but it is more a statement than a question.

“I…I don’t know,” he says, as his confidence in his words drains noticeably. “I remember loving her.”

She nods, remembering what she felt through the rings. “Just as you remember loving me.” She turns away, trying to conceal the tears welling up in her eyes, but as she does, he grabs her arm and spins her around to face him. “I do love you,” he says with renewed confidence, “and that will never change.”

A sad smile crosses her face. “And you do love her as well. I felt it.” She pauses. “But at least you do not hate me, as I had feared.”

“I don’t—Why would I ever hate you?” he says with complete sincerity.

She looks down, “Because…I lost your son, and…and our baby.

“You did not lose them,” he says. “They were taken from you.”

“Then why did you threaten me?” she asks.

“Threaten you?” he replies, sounding confused.

She pushes her memories through the rings. How he grabbed her by the arms and shook her, backing her up towards the wall, staring her in the eye and shouting about how he thought she’d be grateful that he was showing this much restraint.

“Restraint from going after Blackadder,” he says. “Not you.”

Seeing those memories again opens the floodgates to the pain she had been working so diligently to wall off. “Then why did you shout at me?” she asks, her voice rising. “Why did you go on and on about duty and how I mustn’t be weak in this time of war? How we had no time for comfort. No time for pain, or sorrow. We must push our emotions aside and go on with duty? No time for anything but the cause?”

“Because we need you; because I need you. We—I couldn’t let you fall in on yourself and be lost. I needed you to be strong.”

“Well you had a damn strange and hurtful way of showing it,” she says. Then she pauses and takes a deep breath. “I’m sorry. I know you went through a lot then, but you were not the only one. Do you know what she did? Do you know what she said?”

“Tell me,” he says. “No—show me.”

And she does; from the moment she teleports out of Caer Albion, through her return, and his awakening. He grimaces in pain, and then opens his eyes, looking off into the distance and calculating. After a moment, he looks back to her, and pulls her into a tight embrace. He whispers “I’m sorry.”

Laurel

First Post
Archon said:
"I AM no longer myself!!"
Taking a breath and calming down he continues.
"I understand we have pressing affairs, and i am not saying we do this now. I am saying that we look into it. That we consider it. That we don't just toss aside a potential fountain of information on our enemy that no spy, no matter how daring, could never discover. This may be a folly. But let's make sure first. We have a powerful ally that we do not use. The Bluestar's magics are powerful, there may be something in his foul arsenal that may help with bringing me back from shadows. You are discounting this before giving it a chance. What if we *did* find a way to bring people back from the shadowpath? Think of all the souls we could save. Think of all the powerful allies of Tain," Archonus motions to Arissa. "we could take back."
"By the Light, think about it. Before you call me a fool, think about it. I have and i know that if we can save all those lives with but chancing one more that it is worth it. I will consult those i can. I simply ask that you do the same. Until then we have defences to fortify and a trip by sea to plan, Neither of which should be done here."
Archonus bows,
"Now, if you'll excuse me?"
Then Archonus turns and follows Xath.
As he and Xath walk off L'Aurel continues to stare into the cage. Ever watchful she says through the rings, "Unless he could assure us of his return he would be killed before allowed to walk the shadow path. She is already condemed, already dead."
Aloud toward Arissa she speaks, "Why did you kill Link?"

The_Universe

First Post
He tried to stop us. To stop my master, as he had in the past. He could not be allowed to. The old fool forgot that he was not as powerful as he once was. Arrogant. Angry. But now, dead.

Laurel

First Post
The_Universe said:
He tried to stop us. To stop my master, as he had in the past. He could not be allowed to. The old fool forgot that he was not as powerful as he once was. Arrogant. Angry. But now, dead.
"So you feel no remorse? Felt no guilt at killing your own father?"

Laurel

First Post
The_Universe said:
"No more than you would for killing a fly. He may have been my father once, but I have embraced a stronger, truer heritage now."
"Would you repent and cast off the shadow for you freedom, would you return to the light for your life?"

Remove ads