A Few More Tidbits About D&D Beyond From The Developer

Adam Bradford, the senior product manager of upcoming D&D digital toolset D&D Beyond has answered a few questions about the product over at the Tribality website. You can read the full interview at the link below, but here are the highlights. Nothing major, but a few bits like filtering content, roadmap features like initiative trackers, color-coded tabs, etc.

Adam Bradford, the senior product manager of upcoming D&D digital toolset D&D Beyond has answered a few questions about the product over at the Tribality website. You can read the full interview at the link below, but here are the highlights. Nothing major, but a few bits like filtering content, roadmap features like initiative trackers, color-coded tabs, etc.

dnd-beyond-monsters.png

• Alpha testing is finished.
  • Beta testing emails go out "very soon".
  • The software has table with colour codes (see images above and below) to make it easy to tell where you are.
  • Adam has played D&D for 20 years.
  • Additional features later will include "encounter builder, combat/ initiative tracker, dice rolling and automation, stream integration, and much more".
  • There will be easy ways to filter content - for example "Want to see every spell that requires a Charisma saving throw in the game? Or every healing spell? Every spell that does force damage?"
  • Their license does not restrict them on delivery mechanisms. They "are fully aware of the offline capability concerns and are working to mitigate those concerns". A few days ago, WotC's Greg Tito confirmed "D&D Beyond will work without an internet connection. That's a big deal for the devs!"
  • You an read the full interview here.

dnd-beyond-spells.png

practicalm

Explorer
I've been using the Game Master tool from Lion's Den and with the ability to import my own XML data, I'm not sure that this has much added value to me. This is late to the game and I already have a tool that does what they say they will do by phase 3.

We didn't even know this existed until a few days ago and people are already second guessing the business because there's no pricing info released yet. *sigh* Sure, it'd be nice to know, but seeing as how this was just announced a few days ago and won't be released for months, it's not silly to expect a little patience. :)

But I'm certainly excited. As a web developer, I really like the interface design - even the thought about color coding each section shows some nice attention to detail. With a couple new games starting up for me using 5e rather than Pathfinder, I'm excited to get my hands on these tools. I'm interested in seeing what degree of customization/3pp content is possible, however, because that can be a very deep rabbit hole to jump down. But even the ability to manually tweak character sheets to include custom content would be cool, but I know is not easy.

Either way, I do hope this breaks the Digital D&D Curse and has a great product! Looking forward to it!

ddaley

Explorer
I don't think anyone is second guessing their business. The pricing will definitely impact whether or not some of us buy into this. I know I am not the only one who has already purchased at least one of each physical books and have purchased all of the 5e digital content available for Fantasy Grounds, which is almost as expensive as the physical books. I have also purchased a fair amount of content from DM's Guild. We are not excited about the idea of paying for the same content a third (or fourth) time.

The tool looks interesting and will probably do well... I hope it does well. Will I personally pay for it? I am not sure yet. I am not ruling out the possibility.

From my perspective, the argument about pricing was more about when companies decide on a model in general. I am sure they have already decided upon a model, even if they are not willing to discuss it yet. Which is fine as far as I'm concerned.

We didn't even know this existed until a few days ago and people are already second guessing the business because there's no pricing info released yet. *sigh* Sure, it'd be nice to know, but seeing as how this was just announced a few days ago and won't be released for months, it's not silly to expect a little patience. :)

But I'm certainly excited. As a web developer, I really like the interface design - even the thought about color coding each section shows some nice attention to detail. With a couple new games starting up for me using 5e rather than Pathfinder, I'm excited to get my hands on these tools. I'm interested in seeing what degree of customization/3pp content is possible, however, because that can be a very deep rabbit hole to jump down. But even the ability to manually tweak character sheets to include custom content would be cool, but I know is not easy.

Either way, I do hope this breaks the Digital D&D Curse and has a great product! Looking forward to it!

Last edited by a moderator:

dave2008

Legend
If it really will, great.

Otherwise it's just completely uninteresting.

It would still be interesting to me regardless. I enjoyed the online only version of the DDI monster builder and compendium. They were on of my favorite parts of 4e. It has never bothered me that I can't use them anymore.

Of course, from everything we are hearing it sounds like off line support will be include so you can probably raise your interest flag to a lest half mast ;)

Osgood

Hero
Wow, I'm surprised at all the angst over pricing. I figure it'll cost what it costs, and since the price won't be "free", it will be too much for some (like just about everything in life).
personally, I'm far more interested in how it works. When we know how useful it is around the table, than I can decide what I feel it's worth.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Per the previous thread it is both and more:
1) free content
2) one time purchase content
3) and subscription content

And all of that, or any of it, could change before launch. It's best to just wait. It's not like it costs us anything to wait and see.

Remove ads

Remove ads