• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A few noobish questions, PF

Wycen

Explorer
All wands cost [caster level, multilied by spell level, and then 25 for scrolls or 750 for wands]. A wand MIGHT cost less, 1/50 less for each charge it is missing.

Wizards at 1st level begin with their spellbook containing ALL 0 lvl spells plus a number of 1st level spells equal to 3 + INT mod at lvl 1. :)

That is for buying them on the open market. You can create them for half of that cost. I bring this up because the poster mentioned the Craft Wand feat.

Palocles

First Post
Thanks for the insight there Empirate. I was unaware of the mount as cover move.

Scott, as it turned out the Wizard had fewer spells than he should have but the over powered wand took him way over wealth by level. I had originally meant to give him a couple of scrolls for extra options besides the daily amount but ran out of time and plumped for the MM Wand.

Wycen, i mentioned the feat because you can't get it till lvl 5 and i thought that made the wands caster level 5 (so d8+5 for CLW and 3d4+3 for MMs). Seems a little odd that the caster would be lvl 5 but choose to out in only 20% of the effort on the job. Helps for scaling wands though.

Ok, so another question now. Though i think i know the answer.

A multi class PC gains generic feats based on character level and class specific feats based on class level, right? So a human fighter 2/wizard 2 has human feat, two generic feats, two fighter feats and scribe scroll.(?)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Ok, so another question now. Though i think i know the answer.

A multi class PC gains generic feats based on character level and class specific feats based on class level, right? So a human fighter 2/wizard 2 has human feat, two generic feats, two fighter feats and scribe scroll.(?)

sounds about right.

Palocles

First Post
So is there any compelling reason to multi class in Pathfinder?

Obviously if you go beyond 20th level you almost have to but what if you're character is only likely to make it to 10th level?

Ramaster

Adventurer
There are some combinations that result in power boosts for your character. The classic example is to take some fighter levels, to get some bonus feats, and then multiclass into a more specialize class, like Paladin or Ranger for the class features.

Pathfinder has some rules that discourage multiclassing, compared to Dungeons And Dragons 3.5e. The bonus that taking a level on a favorite class provides (+1HP or skillpoint), the capstone ability and the lack of truly "empty" levels (levels where you do not gain ANY class feature), for example.

The main reason NOT to multiclass is being a casting class, since they are the ones that multiclassing hurts the most. You delay your new spell level access which is, in my opinion, the most powerful weapon there is. There are some corner cases (like Arcane Archer, for a couple niche builds) but generally is inadvisable.

Palocles

First Post
Thanks guys. It did seem that there wasn't much advantage to multi from looking through the classes but the Fighter/Wizard looks like it would be a fun concept but really inefficient use of levels.

Remove ads