• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E A few questions regarding sun blades

zymurgy65

First Post
Q1. The DMG states that sun blades are longswords, so do they have the versatile property in addition to the finesse property? I think they might, as both the historical katana and fictional lightsaber would doubtless be classed as finesse weapons, but are generally used two-handed.

Q2. If the answer to Q1 is yes, does the damage bonus against undead also increase when the weapon is used two-handed, or is it fixed?

Q3. The text for the darkness spell states that non-magical light can't illuminate its area of effect. Presumably this doesn't apply to light from a sunblade?

Lanliss

Explorer
1) Yes, it can be two-handed

2) No, because the bonus damage is part of the spell, not caused by your swinging power.

3) correct, the Sunblade is undeniably Magic. I would also rule that Sunblade, being Rare, is more powerful than a 2nd level spell, and is immune to Darkness extinguishing it.

aco175

Legend
I did not think that longswords have finesse. I seem to recall a giant thread about everyone using rapiers since they do 1d8 and have finesse, thus making them superior. A good solution someone came up with is to make the longsword have it as well, but I thought it was not in the rules.

Lanliss

Explorer
I did not think that longswords have finesse. I seem to recall a giant thread about everyone using rapiers since they do 1d8 and have finesse, thus making them superior. A good solution someone came up with is to make the longsword have it as well, but I thought it was not in the rules.

Sunblade specifies that it acts as a longsword, but has the Finesse property while the blade is active. It is a special case.

Sorry, my bad. Should have said IMHO.
Heh. I wouldn't worry about it. Just be aware that suggesting that katana should get better/different stats than current longsword can make for a . . . lively discussion. :rant:

Finesse can also be kinda tricky in terms of that it actually represents, and there have been threads about that as well.

A 'finesse katana' suggestion is a can of sushi best left unopened unless that is what the main thrust of your discussion is about. :)

Remove ads