• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A few questions

Akhkharu

First Post
I'm running a one shot adventure and would like some clerification on somethings that I'm not to sure about.

1) Do Boots of Springing & Striding stack with Expeditious Retreat?
If so, would it be considered triple speed (double + double)?

2) Do bracers of AC stack with AC provided by armor?

3) If a monk gets mage armor cast on her, or wears bracers of AC, is that considered wearing armor?
If so, she looses her Wisdom bonus to AC, correct?

4) Is there any difference in price to purchase a cursed item? Ex. a cursed potion of bull strength = 300gp?
edit
5) What are the rules for drinking lots of potions at once?
edit
6) Can potions be dispelled?

All I can think of for now.
Thank,
Akh

Last edited:

maddman75

First Post
1) I would think so - might want to see if the speed has a name. If they do, then no. If it just says 'doubles', then they do.

2) No - Bracers of Armor (no such animal in the DMG as Bracers of AC) give an armor bonus to AC. Regular armor gives an armor bonus to AC. Bonuses of the same kind don't stack (except dodge and circumstance)

3) No - Getting an armor bonus to AC (mage armor, bracers, etc.) is not always the same thing as wearing armor.

4) Have to look it up in the DMG, I haven't looked at cursed magic items in awhile. Who wants to buy a cursed item?

prodawg

First Post
1. No. To make boots of striding, you need expeditious retreat. So it does not stack.
2. No. Mage armor is required for bracers of armor. Mage armor and regular armor does not stack.
3. No. Mage armor does not count as armor so I would allow monks to wear bracers of armor without penalties. Though I'm sure that some would beg to differ with me on this one.

Skaros

First Post
prodawg said:
1. No. To make boots of striding, you need expeditious retreat. So it does not stack.

You may be right, but I don't think you would be right for the reason stated.

Its not what the prerequisite is that is important, but what type of bonus the boots grant. I don't think it always works out to equate the ability granted by a spell with the ability granted by items that use it as a prereq.

According to the SRD, Expeditious Retreat's benefits are considered an enhancement bonus. The SRD entry for the boots doesn't list what type of bonus it is. If we assume it also grants an enhancement bonus, then the question is whether two enhancement bonuses stack or not.

I don't think they do, but I can't find an entry in the SRD explaining what types of bonuses stack...and my books are at home. Anyone know for sure?

-Skaros

Crothian

First Post
"The wearer of the boots moves at double her normal speed."

That's from the DMG. So, I don't think it would work as a character under expedious retreat is not moving at her normal speed anymore.

Akhkharu

First Post
Thanks everyone

Crothian & prodawg: I like both of your reasoning.

maddman75: We're playing a game of death and a player wants to purchase them incase other characters take it once he's dead.

CRGreathouse: Thanks, I wasn't sure if there was one or not. I left all my books at home and I won't be there for a few more days to check.

Thank you everyone!

Seule

Explorer

Potions are just a way to store spells, and cast them later. They mix in just the same way that cast spells do (some like Haste and Slow will counteract each other, and some won't stack) but that's about it. They can be dispelled as normal too.

--Seule

hong

WotC's bitch
Seule said:

Potions are just a way to store spells, and cast them later. They mix in just the same way that cast spells do (some like Haste and Slow will counteract each other, and some won't stack) but that's about it. They can be dispelled as normal too.

Ahem. A magic item, even a single-use item like a scroll or potion, is not a spell. Casting dispel magic on an item will suppress its properties for 1d4 rounds, but that's it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads