• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Adventure

Hussar

Legend
So, running a session today. The party had entered Wave Echo Cave in Phandelver and was exploring around when they managed to bump something pretty nasty. I don't want to spoil anything, so, I'll just keep this kinda vague. Anyway, Mr. Nasty takes a swipe at the party ranger. Hits for a Crit.

4th level ranger, instantly killed.

Fight continues. Nasty baddy uses an ability to turn the recently deceased ranger into an undead spirit, which proceeds to attack the party. The party Warlock attacks. Hits for a Crit.

Instantly killed.

The dice gods really, REALLY wanted this player to not have anything to do this session.

So, the party fights their way clear, escapes and decides to head into Neverwinter to recruit a new PC. Fair enough. I have a honking big Wandering Monster book from Nord Games - titled Wandering Monsters - great book. Highly recommend. So, I roll for a random encounter on the way and it does trigger a random encounter. I ask the players for a number from 1 to 10, which picks the table. Then a number from 1 to 6, which picks the actual encounter. Rival NPC party. It was just too perfect. It would have been just a little too on the nose to recruit from that random encounter, but, suffice to say, the dice in my game had a SERIOUS sense of humour today.

What's your weird dice story? I need a giggle.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
So, running a session today. The party had entered Wave Echo Cave in Phandelver and was exploring around when they managed to bump something pretty nasty. I don't want to spoil anything, so, I'll just keep this kinda vague. Anyway, Mr. Nasty takes a swipe at the party ranger. Hits for a Crit.

4th level ranger, instantly killed.
I'm going to need a some info in a spoiler block.

Hussar

Legend
I'm going to need a some info in a spoiler block.
Mormesk the wraith hit the 4th level ranger with a crit. A Wraith deals 8d8+6 points of damage on a crit and automatically kills you at 0HP if you fail the save because of having your HP max reduced. Poof, one dead ranger. IIRC, it came very close to simply flat out killing the ranger on damage because I rolled particularly well.

There are lots of ways to kill PC's. The baddy kept ambushing from the darkness while rallying the other baddies in the area to come and attack.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Mormesk the wraith hit the 4th level ranger with a crit. A Wraith deals 8d8+6 points of damage on a crit and automatically kills you at 0HP if you fail the save because of having your HP max reduced. Poof, one dead ranger. IIRC, it came very close to simply flat out killing the ranger on damage because I rolled particularly well.
Cool.

That's why we have crits.

Remove ads