D&D 4E A gathering of Martial Controllers - what do you think

They made alchemical opportunist as a supplementary feat to presumedly represent some skill at use... but it really doesnt go far at all.

Where as it seems to me if we combine them with other class control which force movement to enhance those powers or enable enhancing via your application skill they can deliver extra pop.

Effectively the unimpressive basic use they have now might be a good starting point. With feats to make them more skillful and better interact with powers.

Agreed. The gloves help a little, but they really needed a couple more, perhaps paragon/epic power ups to kick them over the top. The fundamental problem was the fixed attack roll bonus. If you could just add an ability score bonus to it that would be huge. Some damage bonus would also be needed. The more effect-based alchemy OTOH is actually not bad, smoke stick for example is OK, since it just creates an effect, but I think it would still be desirable if you could add in some more significant effects for these at higher levels.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Agreed. The gloves help a little, but they really needed a couple more, perhaps paragon/epic power ups to kick them over the top. The fundamental problem was the fixed attack roll bonus. If you could just add an ability score bonus to it that would be huge. Some damage bonus would also be needed. The more effect-based alchemy OTOH is actually not bad, smoke stick for example is OK, since it just creates an effect, but I think it would still be desirable if you could add in some more significant effects for these at higher levels.

Molotovs Alchemical Touch:
Minor Action the effect lasts till the end of your next turn
Your experience and battlefield training allows you to adjust on the fly the basic activation and targeting mechanisms (including the fuzes of basic molotov cocktails / wound spring timers / chemical switch ) of standard thrown alchemical devices the extra measure of control which makes the device both more reliable and tuned to the situation.
The device while so adjusted can be deployed as a standard dex or strength based thrown weapon attack.
(Perhaps an Artificier or Trained alchemist may also use it with Int or Wis.)

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Molotovs Alchemical Touch:
Minor Action the effect lasts till the end of your next turn
Your experience and battlefield training allows you to adjust on the fly the basic activation and targeting mechanisms (including the fuzes of basic molotov cocktails / wound spring timers / chemical switch ) of standard thrown alchemical devices the extra measure of control which makes the device both more reliable and tuned to the situation.
The device while so adjusted can be deployed as a standard dex or strength based thrown weapon attack.
(Perhaps an Artificier or Trained alchemist may also use it with Int or Wis.)

Note one could theoretically hand off an adjusted one to an ally although the action cost would get a bit sketchy.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Whirlwind Stance
You spin and thrust your weapon with incredible speed, striking every enemy you can reach.
At-Will * Martial, Stance
Minor Action Personal
Requirement: You must be using a pole-arm or other weapon with reach
Effect: When you use a Close burst 1 or Close blast 1 Martial Attack power, use the reach of your weapon to determine the size of the burst or blast.

Why isnt this just ummm I don't know standard? The martial close burst weapon attacks should have all been based on weapon reach.

My thought is that it might create too much disparity between reach and not reach weaponry.

The sword has legendary primacy (not the Halberd).

An option would be to make it 'all creatures' instead of an enemy-only attack. Getting in the way of the whirling glaive isn't a good idea...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
An option would be to make it 'all creatures' instead of an enemy-only attack. Getting in the way of the whirling glaive isn't a good idea...

I like that ... though I guess I am thinking the definition of "berserk" attacks could be up the damage but allies beware. Of course I do not necessarily think one needed different classes for so many things D&D slots in as class differences

There are definitely some fairly base elements that could be tweaked.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Realistically of course the most likely multi attack with such weaponry would be using the back end of the glaive/halberd interchangeably so you can threaten and block enemies behind you and in front.. ie you might actually loose the reach AND having to have a feat or class feature to extend the area actually works ;) Not that realism is exactly a goal.

Remove ads