• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A group of secondary characters?

Secondary Characters?

• A more neutral/mercenary group interested in money

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • A group that works with a thieves guild in Stormhaven

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A mostly evil group based somewhere ...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A group that is capable of fighting the sahaugin

• A group that is fighting the serpent folk

• A group of similar minded adventurers from the Ternell Complex

• A group from Greerson

• A group of Durgon & Thurgon fighting the giants

• A group of pirates, er I mean merchants, exploring the world

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Some other idea

• Secondaries? We don't need no stinkin' secondaries

• Poll closed .

Macbeth

First Post
Any idea when we would start these secondary characters (if we did)? I would kind of like to sneak in one session with my secondary, to get him in at the ground floor of the group, so to speak. That would only give us this friday (out of the question) or the next two Fridays after that. I'd really like to get my character in for one of our first sessions, so that he doesn't have an awkward introduction later. Then when I get back after the summer, I could bring him back, and he'd already have a reson to find the group again. Perhaps he'll even participate in online RP to get a little extra XP.

Anyways, it seems alternate characters are a popular idea...

BSF

Explorer
Maybe we can chat about secondaries tonight. I have a few thoughts on how to run it and am interested in feedback.

In the last game I had a few reasons why I implemented the secondary characters.

The first was that the group I play in has secondaries. There is a story going on with them, but we haven't seen it yet. So we have these secondary characters that were originally supposed to be the fallback if a PC died, but we haven't used them in a few years. I thought the idea was cool, but would like to use the secondaries sometimes. So, I enforced my desires on the group. :)

More importantly, it also gave me a chance to give the players different types of quests to do that the PCs might not have time or interest to do. Taking out river pirates, travelling to the Shrine of Tranquility, stuff like that. We would finish an adventure with the primary group and they would get back to town, only to learn the second group had left on something else a few days ago. Then we would pick up the secondaries and have at it.

The secondaries also gave me an opportunity to show off more gameworld and different NPCs. Since I tried to keep stories related, the players would pick up a little more perspective on what's going on. I _think_ this helped raise the stakes and enrich the mystery to some degree. Maybe not. Ask one of the players for a more definitive answer.

It was also nice to give the players a different persona to bounce between. One thing that was a little unexpected to me was that the players seemed to grow almost as attached to the secondaries as the primaries. I know Chris liked playing Falon, his Dragon Disciple, but he also seemed to have a lot of fun playing Klaw, his archer badass.

Then there was the aspect of mixing both groups together for certain situations. It is fun to put together a battle that is larger than a single adventuring group can handle. When they turn around and ask for help from another group, the fun increases. We didn't do it very often, but the two big battles where most of the primaries and secondaries were available were very fun. During the first one, the two groups took out hundreds of hobgoblins, 20-30 ogres, a half-dozen trolls, a hydra and a couple of significant NPCs. It was a lot of fun and it was a huge battle.

I think that helps explain the popularity of secondaries. Maybe I am wrong? I guess the question then becomes: Will your planned secondaries provide as much fun? Some of the poll options would make it somewhat unlikely that your two groups would have much reason to cross-over. That might be good, or it might be bad. But I leave it up to you guys to decide.

Macbeth

First Post
Yeah, pirates might not cross over much, atleast at first, but ut all comes down to a matter o what we want out of them. Really, I want to:

a)Explore a different class
b)Explore a different persona
c)See a different area of the world

Croos-overs would be fun, but not nessecary. We can talk more tonight.

Remove ads