Pathfinder 1E A guide to sorcerers

Starfox

Hero
Just popping in to say that it's interesting that the guide does not recommend a human sorcerer to use his favored class ability to pick up extra spells, and that nobody else mentioned it here.

Been looking up some old threads on the subject, and there was a furor back then - the issue just came up IMC.

(Link to what I was mentioning in case someone wants to relive an old discussion - not really recommended: http://www.enworld.org/forum/pathfi...hfinder-advanced-players-guide-preview-7.html)

triqui

Adventurer
I'm still trying to figure out where the +3 caster levels come from to get a 7th level caster up to a 10d6 fireball. And that is my greatest complaint with this guide: statements are made that aren't fully explained so that someone who needs a guide like this one won't find it as useful as they might.

That's a fair complaint, I'll update the guide later.

But however, this is not a guide about how to make a 7th level character that can beat damage records. I gave that as an example of what is possible while in the realm of "blasting", to refute the common argument that "blasting is underpowered". I do not advice to build such a "one poney trick" character.

That said, +3 levels could come from:
1) being Gnome Pyromaniac alternate racial trait (advanced pathfinder guide) gives +1 Caster Level to Fire spells.
2) Varisian Tatto Feat (which gives you +1 Caster level to Evocation Spells)
3) Loreseeker Background trait, which allows you to select 3 spells from your spell list, and cast them at +1 caster level.

This is just one way to get it. You could go other routes. For example:

Bloatmage Initiated feat gives you a +1 to a school of magic (evocation in this case) too, but limits your max dexterity and slows you

Gifted adept background trait gives also +1 caster level to a single spell of your choice, although it's hard to (note, you can get 2 extra background feats if you need it).

Orange Ioun Stones also give +1 CL.

Spell Specialization feat gives you +2 to one single spell.

Spell perfection double any bonus given to a spell by a feat (so you could double the CL bonuses), but is a high level feat with a strong requisite, just for completeness.

This is just a few ways to get to +3. You could mix and match some of those, if you want, or use them all together to get +8 CL (although not possible at 7th).

That said, once I've re-checked, I think the problematic paragraph was refering to *7th level spells* and *14th level caster*.

So it should read:

a 14th level caster can cast 7th level spells. That means 14d6+14 with a delayed fireball (and draconic blood), or 5d6+75 if you empower and maximize a 3rd level fireball. In adition, a 3rd level fireball raised to level 7 spell slot -using magical linage-, is a 3rd level spell regardless. So it bounces in Globes of invulnaribility, but also work with Lesser Quickened MEtamagic Rods. Casting two 5d6+75 spells in one round, for 10d6+150 (average 185) surely beats casting a regular delayed fireball for 14d6+14.

Last edited:

triqui

Adventurer
Just popping in to say that it's interesting that the guide does not recommend a human sorcerer to use his favored class ability to pick up extra spells, and that nobody else mentioned it here.

Been looking up some old threads on the subject, and there was a furor back then - the issue just came up IMC.

(Link to what I was mentioning in case someone wants to relive an old discussion - not really recommended: http://www.enworld.org/forum/pathfi...hfinder-advanced-players-guide-preview-7.html)

Well, the guide says that Humans are "blue" colored, but if you use APG it's "sky blue" and literally says that having extra spells is better than anything else you can get from any other race. My own sorceror is human. I wanted to give options to people, so they can go and make the sorcerer they want.

But yes, from a pure mechanic point of view, I would recommend a Human over any other

GlassEye

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply to my questions/issues! That helps and I appreciate it. I realize my previous comment was mostly negative but I did enjoy the guide and found it useful. Thanks again.

triqui

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply to my questions/issues! That helps and I appreciate it. I realize my previous comment was mostly negative but I did enjoy the guide and found it useful. Thanks again.

I didn't find it so negative. It was a critic, but a fair critic. I don't mind critics as long as they are polite, and yours was. Your post has helped the guide to be better than it was, I changed the not-so clear paragraph. English is not my first language, so it's more than possible that what I thought in Spanish isn't exctly clear in English, so I know I have room to improve the guide clearness. I hope now it reads slightly better than it did :)

You're welcome.

Last edited:

Remove ads