A Keep on the Borderlands: Consolidation

Dr Simon

Explorer
Menexes nods. "You mentioned something earlier, before we were interrupted," he says. "If you will, I'd like to talk more with you, your men and Rexun. Our hospitality is rough, I apologise, but perhaps something to eat and drink for you we can be finding." He utters a few words in Dwarven, and some of the dwarves begin laying out a crude table with crates to sit on.

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah has thoroughly disarmed his prisoner within a few minutes, having searched his boots and in every metal crevice he can find. Unbuckling and removing the dwar's helmet, Sh'aah roughly shoves him toward the nearest group of copper dwarves.

"Rope," is all he says, miming putting his wrists together in front.

jkason

First Post
Bastian Sangue, human cavalier

"Without you and your men, I'm fair certain we'd be back in their prison or dead," Bastian says to the dwarven leader as he nods to Fife to help Sh'aah with some rope. "You can talk with me as much as you need for that deed."

Shayuri

First Post
Arcata smiled warmly at that. "Your hospitality is most welcome, and less rough than what we have at our keep for the time being. I hope to return this courtesy to you soon...once these lands are safe again to travel."

"At any rate, yes, we must speak on these matters. The old keep was occupied by beast-men, led by an evil-natured fae creature. Now this dwarf waystation is also insidiously corrupted from within, and that amulet he wore..."

She shakes her head.

"Well, we can discuss the particulars when you're ready."

Dr Simon

Explorer
Fyfe helps Sh'aah nind the captive cobalt dwarf, whilst beer, bread, hard cheese and dried meat are brought forth and set on a makeshift table made from some crates and a board. More crates and barrels serve as seats.

"Fanjyr Waystation is a valuable asset," says Menexes. "Whoever holds it controls trade between the Zwergenberg and the Empire, or at least its outposts. But like your keep its lain abandoned for some time. King Eisengrim wants nothing to do with the outside world but there are some of us who feel different. Iron dwarf and Copper dwarf are set against one another, and some fear that hostilities may turn to civil war.

"This Schattenstein is a wild card in these matters. These so-called Cobalt dwarves are an unknown to me, but like you I suspect some dark magic has changed him. Him being in control of the Waystation is not a good thing, I am thinking. If you think there is something else behind this, it is even worse.

"Regardless, I think you and I have the same goals - restore the waystation, restore your keep, open up trade and make the area safe. What say you we work together?"

Shayuri

First Post
Arcata smiled. "Exactly the proposal I had in mind. A good sign. We have the keep in hand, though restoring it will be long work. It...suffered under its occupation. From what I saw of the Waystation, it's a mess, but seems in better repair. Either the Cobalt dwarves are maintaining it, or it hasn't been lost for long enough to start crumbling. And I don't think the waystation fell to a siege either." She taps her lip thoughtfully. "You had no contact with the Waystation before?"

Dr Simon

Explorer
"King Eisengrim ordered the waystation closed, some time before your keep fell, when he decided to cut off contact with non-dwarves. I don't know when Schattenstein moved in but it would have been empty for him, although locked. We are ... not so welcome in the Zwergenberg and we have not been there for a long time. Our halls are out here, on the edge of the mountains and we have so far managed to avoid the waystation."

Kaodi

Hero
Having tended to his allies as much as the seem inclined to accept, Comoray moves on to the prisoner to inspect him for injuries. Not that he was a very merciful man as such, but in more civilized conflicts it was the duty of the medics to tend to prisoners as well. Not that he was a medic per se, though the blessings of the Lady Magnificient might give that impression sometimes. The brother is mostly keen on seeing the dwarf become a bit more pliant for when the interrogation inevitably comes.

jkason

First Post
Bastian Sangue, human cavalier

"And how many coppers are there, if you don't mind my asking?" Bastian asks. "As long as they hold the waystation, the cobalts are at an advantage. They're hiding ... something. We saw its glow, if not the source. I think that's the source of whatever corruption -- and power -- that's infused itself in them."

Dr Simon

Explorer
"Here we have around fifty," says Menexes. "Within a day or two's muster, another couple of hundred. But attacking the waystation, strange lights or not, will be likely the iron dwarves to provoke. It is risky for us to be too involved."

Remove ads