A Long Hard Rain - The Story of Autumn of Fallon - Completed: 8/14

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Well, I am still not done posting her background story - there are at least two more installments to go - I have just been too busy to post them - I hope to get a chance to do another tonight.

Oh, and thanks! :)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Part Three: Spring

The seminary was outside of town in a secluded hillock away from the interference of the baron's cronies. I arrived much to Kellina's delight. The war had left many people homeless and seeking refuge and many others permanently scarred or crippled. There were many children there, cramped in bunks in a huge room that had once served as the dining hall. During the day the makeshift beds were all moved aside and piled up to allow people to eat. The infirmary itself now housed anyone that came along and beds were given out based on who was most injured. It was terrible work. There was great misery there embraced by a kind of gentle spirit I had never quite felt before. These people's lives had been destroyed and still they tried to make the best of it. The children still played and the people took turns working in the priests' gardens. There were different priests here. Kellina was one of two medicus of Fallon. There was a priestess of Isis (1) (here in hiding), a Wayfarer of Ptah (that had stopped to give service for one month and had now been here for three) (2), a Librarian of Thoth (3), a priest of Shu (4) and a militant of Anhur (5). There were also a few Neergaardian soldiers here that the seminary had granted sanctuary to.

Kellina explained to me how the seminary had taught all kind of priests of Ra's pantheon over the years and that a shrine to each of the gods could be found here (even Set; though that room was currently closed off) and that all were allowed to come and go as they pleased. She said that Friars of Nephthys (6) had even used it in the past as a base of operations for their quest to free slaves. Wounded people came in all the time. I learned quickly that the healing powers of the gods, though powerful, were not enough. The gods had granted us intellect, Kellina explained, so that we might develop the skills to heal, protect and create for ourselves. The rudimentary first aid skills I had learned were quickly augmented. I learned to set broken hones, to seek out and suck out poison and how to deal with amputated limbs and other horrid things. I also saw many beautiful things here. I saw Kellina and Rollod heal people many times and Tyth of Thoth allowed me to look at some of his books on occasion. I had occasion to speak with Lorraine of Isis and grew to care for her a great deal.

In addition to my duties tending to the sick and wounded I helped to cook and clean, tend the gardens and went out with Kellina and/or Rollod to collect alms for the poor in Geffanstag. Needless to say we rarely collected more than a dozen copper or so; sometimes a silver if we were lucky. It seemed as if the seminary ran on faith alone for the funds to run it with the added burden of the refugees did not seem to exist and yet we continued.

More than a year passed and I did not have time to practice my pottery or sculpture, but I became fast friends with Kellina and with Lorraine as I had never had an opportunity to do with a woman before. The love and affection; the genuine caring, that I felt from them made me feel so good and welcome. They constantly complimented and encouraged me and one day Kellina approached me with a pouch.

"I know that when you first came here you donated all your coppers to the poor box, but now for all your help here is something in return," she hefted the pouch.

"How can I take money when so many other people need it more than I? What would I need money for? I have no life but my life here and for that I need neither silver nor copper. " I was bewildered.

"Others who need alms get it. I always make sure of that. Haven't we always had enough to eat here and clothes to keep us warm?" Kellina said.

"Yes, but how`? And why are you giving me money?"

Kellina laughed. "Oh my dear sweet Autumn, I wish you could see the look on your own face right now. It is so genuine that I want to cry. I will answer the second question first. "
We were in my small cell and she went to my table where wrapped in my leather apron was my sculpture tools. She lifted them up.

"I want you to begin your sculpture again and to make pottery," she said.

"The seminary needs pots?" I asked. Kellina laughed again,

"Yes. A few. But what it really needs is a creative spirit to bring light in this often dark place. I want you to work with the love I know you have for life, for Fallon, for yourself, for the people here and fill this place and the garden with sculptures that bring glory to the goodly gods and the cause of good."

I was astounded. I was thrilled to take on such a big project. I was on the verge of tears from joy.

"Kellina, oh, Kellina! " I cried, hugging her tight. "You are such a good friend and wise person. You bring me so much joy I feel my heart might burst, but how will we pay for this. It will be expensive. "

"We have time. You will work a little at a time and you will go among the orphans and find those who have the talent to assist you. The money we need will come. I have a great deal of money stashed away in the seminary coffers in Fallon's name. I found it during my adventures."

"Adventures?" I cried and then hushed as if I had said a terrible secret.

"You are going to think I'm mocking you if you keep making me laugh this way," Kellina smiled. "Yes, adventures. I traveled with a group in the year before I first met you. We traveled to the ancient pits of the Nethermen (7) and fought the undead that plagued the area and we helped save a town from a kobold raid. There was some booty to be gained. I claimed my share in the name of Fallon and brought it here."

"You fought kobolds?"

"And hobgoblins as well."

"How could you`? You had to kill; to draw blood?"

"Yes. Did you not read the Ascendancy of Fallon I gave you? Fallon fought and defeated evil. She did not want to kill or harm anyone, but if she had to in the name of good then she did and she relished the vanquishing of unnatural evils like undead and demonic creatures. As she did, I have done and will probably be forced to do again even though I do not look forward to it."

It was then that I broke down and confessed how I had been forced to kill the boy at the River of Blood. I had not told anyone in the almost two years since it had happened and now it came out in a gush of tears and sobbing. I felt so terrible, so guilty. I explained to Kellina that my prayers did not bring me solace in that matter.

"Fallon has already forgiven you. You need to forgive yourself. You did what needed to be done. Remember the story of the time Fallon was forced to kill the wizard Lothgrane's henchman because he did not show mercy on an enemy that had surrendered, and thereby broke the pact between the Fallows and the Curens? Fallon struck down her own ally because she knew in her heart that his action was wrong. There are two sides to Fallon just as there are to every person. And that is what makes Fallon such a wonderful goddess that her mercy and wisdom spring from her humanity. As mighty as she is Fallon was always mighty even when she had a frail form as you and I do, because she kept her power in her heart and in her values and that is where your power lies as well. Some would say that Fallon's way is folly. Did she not heal her enemies repeatedly even though they would recover just to try to slay her again? But she never stopped, her mercy was infinite. Remember Bronthro the stone giant? (8) Did he not work for Agon and kill hundreds of men in the god-king's name? Did not Fallon strike him down seventeen times before he chose to leave her alone? Did she not need to only step before the blow of one of his allies seeking to punish him for his decision only once to convince him of the worthiness of her love and compassion and followed her every afterward being one of the few that witnessed her ascension?"

I was quiet for a time. I had heard Kellina speak of Fallon many times and retell the stories of Fallon's life. There were always lessons in what she said. And I thought, who was I to hold myself to a standard above Fallon's? There was no standard there, only pride.

"I only wish there was another way," I finally said.

"As do I and as does Fallon," she pointed upward. "But you will see things more clearly. You will become a priestess of Fallon as I am. You will spread her word as I do."

"I could never do such a thing," I protested. "I have not the strength."

"The strength to stand is all you need, as you have stood in the face of many trials and troubling episodes. Fallon will provide you with the rest. I will be her tool in this. As you sculpt the clay, so shall ye be sculpted.

Kellina hugged me again and I returned her embrace with strength.

"I am not ready," I said. "I am scared."

"I know you are scared, sweet thing," Kellina said. "When you are ready it will be known. Fallon has told me that much through her divine will."

I hesitated.

"I also fear that since my face is so disfigured that people will cower from me and keep me from doing Fallon's will. Being ugly can be such a curse. I can see the look in the eyes of people that first come here and in the eyes of the children."

"Autumn, you have the only kind of beauty that counts. It shines from within you like a reflection of Ra's Glory. (9) People see that beauty as well. Only evil or ignorance can hide that from them and if you hold true to your faith that light will always overcome that darkness."

"You must have patience," Kellina said.

--------------------------------------------------
Notes:

(1) You can read about Aquerra’s Priestesses of Isis here, and about the Priestess of Isis class here.

(2) Ptah is the god of travel and experience, but is also considered creator of the cosmos. You can read about Aquerra’s Wayfarers of Ptah here, and about the Wayfarer of Ptah class here.

(3) Thoth is the god of knowledge and magic. You can read about Aquerra’s Librarians of Thoth here, and about the Librarian of Thoth class here.

(4) Shu is the god of air & sky, and along with this twin sister, Tefnut, god of twins. You can read about Aquerra’s Windservants of Shu here, and about the Windservant of Shu class here.

(5) Anhur is the god of war and honor. You can read about Aquerra’s Militants of Anhur here, and about the Militant of Anhur class here.

(6) Nephthys is the former wife of Set. She is goddess of freedom, bravery and friendship. You can read about Aquerra’s Friars of Nephthys here, and about the Friar of Nephthys class here. You can also read the character background for Ratchis of Nephthys from the “Out of the Frying Pan” campaign by clicking here.

(7) Nethermen are strain of humans with a link to goblinkind. They are sometimes called “Norkers” and the few that survive into Aquerra’s current age are usually found as slaves to hobgoblins.

(8) You can read the tale Of Fallon & the Stone Giant by clicking here.
(9) Aside from referring to the power of the god Ra, ‘Ra’s Glory’ is also a reference to the sun.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I went into town and brought a wheel and clay and had blocks of stone delivered. I sculpted many things in the years that passed. Some of their titles were: The Ascension of Fallon; Bronthro, Thoth (a bust), Isis in the Moon and Seventeen Cats. Also in this time priests and scholars came and left. Rollod went off on some adventure and Poitren of Fallon and his sister Martha came to stay. Tyth moved on but left a copy of one of his journals at the shrine of Thoth and Benjamin of Bast (1) arrived.

Others came as well, warriors and bards and wanderers that I came to learn were adventurers. They came for aid, knowledge and healing and often left very generous donations for the seminary. On occasion one of the older orphaned children would run off and Kellina suspected that they had left to follow these adventurers. I learned a great deal in this time and my study of religion grew. I learned the basic teachings of all the gods in Ra's pantheon, from Ra himself to the deception of Seker. I learned the symbols of all the gods and when their holidays were. I took to wearing white almost exclusively, but I did not don the headband which would declare me an acolyte in the priesthood of Fallon.

It was autumn, and Lorraine had left the month before under mysterious circumstances. We were all worried, for one of the things I had learned in my studies was that worship of Isis was disallowed in the Black Islands. A message came to Kellina and she, Poitren and Martha left to find her. "I will be back in three to four days," Kellina said. Benjamin was spending less and less time in the seminary having found "good parties" (as he called a night out in Geffanstag's taverns) of late. And early one morning when I was the only one of any authority in the seminary, Fallon took her most direct action in my life up to that point.

I was washing clothes out front when I heard yelling and saw a group of men carrying some burden between them come through the gate. There were two women with them and they were wailing. As they approached I saw what it was they carried on a blanket. It was boy of about twelve summers and he and his carriers were covered in blood.

"Holy priestess of Fallon, please help us," one of the men cried.

I led them inside, too nervous to speak and brought them to a bed in the infirmary. It seemed that the boy had been running in the fields as his older brother was reaping with a scythe and did not see as the boy as he ran too close in the tall wheat. The blade had sliced him across the front from his right armpit to his bowels. Blood was everywhere and I could see a part of his entrails bulging from the wound. The boy moaned and spit blood and slipped hack into unconsciousness.

"Help him! Help him!" the mother cried.

I began to use my healing craft as I had been taught. I applied the crushed herbs that slowed the bleeding and the ointment that would help to prevent infection and them placed several large bandages on him and had the men hold him as I tied them tight around him to hold the whole thing closed. Blood soaked the bandages immediately. It was apparent that they were doing little good.
A man grabbed my shoulder and shook me. "Use the power of your goddess." he yelled in anger born of worry for the boy.

"I -," I faltered. "I am not a priestess. I just volunteer here. The priests are away."

"My boy with die! My boy will die!" The mother began to scream.

I heard the older brother sigh in resignation. "I killed my own brother," he said.

"Do not give up hope!" I cried to the crowd. "Fallon is with us here. She has not abandoned us, nor has she abandoned this boy. He might yet live. Nothing is beyond her power."

The crowd was silent. Several looked angrier. They were not convinced by my impassioned pleas.

"Do not lose faith," I told them. "Fallon desires and deserves your faith. What is the boy's name?"

"Tom," someone said. I walked over to the boy and cradled him in my arms. His hair was thin and blonde, stained with blood. He was not much younger than the boy I had been forced to kill back at the River of Blood and he was dying in my arms.

"Tom, " I whispered to him. "Tom, Fallon will save you. She has a place reserved for you in Anubis' Realm, but you don't have to go yet if you don't want to. It is not your time. " And I felt that to be true in my heart and I felt the strength of that conviction as I lay my hand upon his chest and softly said, "Fallon, please give Tom strength to face the trials of his life, for this is but one pain of life's many pains that he will overcome with your help." And I felt the healing warmth emanate from my hand and pass into the boy. The boy jerked and coughed. The wound was closing; not completely, but enough so that I could bandage him again and this time it would stay closed and begin to heal as long as he lay still.

The people stood in the room dumb-founded.

"I hope you never let your faith die. For only through your faith, directed by Fallon was this boy saved today. Please join me in a prayer."

Kellina returned the next day and the first thing I said to her was, "I am ready."

"I have waited five years to hear you say those words," she replied and the very next day my training was to begin, but that night I had a dream that Malsted had died and in the morning when I awoke I knew it to be true. I had to return to Lambert. Kellina understood.

Lambert had not changed much in my departure. Malsted had left me his shop and all his belongings in the will. Of course the government took more than half of its value in inheritance tax and I sold whatever did not have sentimental value and donated the money to the seminary. I took the statue of Captain Yeardley Scott Discovers the Black Islands and placed it in my cell at the seminary. I visited my old home. It was boarded up. Whether Eric had come and done that or someone else did it to ward off squatters I did not know. The house seemed like a ghost to me and I did not stay in its vicinity long. I have not returned there since. I was tempted to take a ride up to Sown With Bones to see if Eric had returned there. From what I had heard the main house had been sacked and burned during the war and at least one of his older brothers had died, but I resisted the temptation and returned to the seminary eager to begin my training.

The training took almost four years. I finished my religious instruction. Learned to focus Fallon's power through spells and learned how to defend myself with mace and shield and to shoo away opponents from a distance with a sling. Part of my training required me to wear chainmail armor for days at time until I grew used to its weight. I was taught to swim and how to save a drowning person and I learned how to lay my hands upon the wounded and heal them. This brought me much joy.

In time I knew that I had to move on. I had given the seminary over eight years of my life and I knew that there were other places I was needed and adventures to be had. Yes, I even grew to look forward to adventures. Kellina sent me to Paragraine. She pointed out to a quote attributed to Fallon, "The first and last steps of a quest take place where you were born." And so I returned to Paragraine and there I joined the old medicus, Milo, who worked out of a shack in the city’s market district. There were many poor and homeless in Paragraine so I took to asking alms until some guards rudely reminded me that this was against the law and so I was forced to take on another job to help pay for the temple's expenses.

I went to the Black Sunflower Arena (2) and offered my services to the infirmary there. Even though it was a place of infinite cruelty and glorification of violence I knew that even these savage gladiators deserved the gift of Fallon and that perhaps I might with Fallon's help get through to some of them and get them to devote their energies to more productive ends. In addition I knew that some of the warriors there were slaves that were forced to fight and since part of my religious training included the teachings of Nephthys I hoped I might get an opportunity to save some of them.

I met some people there including a young boy who sold bags of peanuts to the spectators. Jackie Dwiner (3) wants more than anything to become a gladiatorial warrior and I spent many afternoons trying to talk him out of it. He talked with glee about blood-letting and the poking out eyeballs and similar notions. I spoke to him of Fallon's love and how some warriors were dedicated to good and how he might be like them, but that even warriors dedicated to good did not take joy in murder for sport or profit. I could tell that there was a part of the 11 year old boy that listened to me and considered the options I tried to explain to him.

There was also Finneous "Fingers" McFinney (4) who often had one hand where it did not belong (thus his nickname). This young bard dressed and acted like a jester. I spoke to him once or twice and he was a bit too wild to hold a decent conversation with, but I got the idea that he did not like the Arena of Blood either and only worked there to save enough money to move on. In the few times I spoke to him he always mentioned traveling. He wanted desperately to go to Herman Land, Fallon knows why.

I don't know how long I will be satisfied with this new occupation. I am eager to adventure and to help those who are victims of tyranny, but here I will stay until Fallon presents me with an opportunity to move on.

I must go now. The last games of the year are beginning in a few minutes and I am the only one on duty in the main arena itself. Anyway I heard that Erlo the Pure (5) is going to fight today and I must admit a weakness for his honorific style of non-killing combat.
---------------------------------------------
Notes:

(1) Bast is the Goddess of Cats, Luck and Comfort. You can read about Aquerra’s Priests of Bast here, and about the Priest of Bast class here.

(2) This gladiatorial complex includes the impressive Arena of Blood which can hold nearly 30,000 spectators, and a series of smaller pit fighting areas for more intimate betting. Its plaza is adjacent to the Market District on one side and the Lists of Black Talon on the other.

(3) This was my attempt to give the DM some NPCs to work with and include in the game.

(4) Another NPC for the DM to use as he pleased, with a nod to the old Dragon magazine comic.

(5) Erlo the Pure, also known as the Bloodless Fop, is a famous gladiator of the Arena of Blood who always grants mercy, and is known for his dance-like flowing swordsmanship.

Richard Rawen

First Post
Thanks again for your wonderful prose. I am inspired to prod my players towards more RP and less hack'n'slash attitudes, of course I will continue to cook what they want to eat... perhaps I can spice it with some Autumn's on occassion . . .

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
So, that was the end of the character background.

The campaign began with the final gladiatorial combat of the season, which was an every man for himself battle royale to get the heralded "Key of Freedom" or the "Key of Fame".

The first session had Autumn discovering that some of the combatants had been swept up by magic to take part in the duel and had no idea what they were doing there. Before she knew it she was helping them escape and fled with them from the city of Paragraine, seeking out refuge out in the wilderness.

If I could remember the names of some of the other characters I would write a little more about Autumn's adventures. I do know we accomplished two adventures from Dungeon that the DM ran us through, and were in the middle of another when the campaign abruptly ended. However, that last battle was going so badly, I think we were all going to die or be taken as slaves. I guess, looking back, that the latter was more likely knowing the DM.

Autumn was third level when the campaign ended. If I get around to it, I will post a 3E update of her character to the thread.

I hope you all have enjoyed this. :)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I know it has been a while, but I finally got around to converting Autumn of Fallon to 3E and posting her stats on the Aquerra wiki.

You can view the conversion here.

Remove ads