A look at Dragons Conquer America with Carlos Gomez Quintana

Burning Games Carlos Gomez Quintana, lead designer and co-writer of Dragons Conquer America, took a few moments away from preparing the launch of the DCA Kickstarter to talk to us about how the game came about and what we can look forward to. The Dragons Conquer America Kickstarter launched on Tuesday 13th March and runs until Thursday 12th April.

Burning Games Carlos Gomez Quintana, lead designer and co-writer of Dragons Conquer America, took a few moments away from preparing the launch of the DCA Kickstarter to talk to us about how the game came about and what we can look forward to. The Dragons Conquer America Kickstarter launched on Tuesday 13th March and runs until Thursday 12th April.

We are a small group of four friends who make tabletop roleplaying games under the name Burning Games. We have made FAITH, a sci-fi ttRPG, and we wanted to take our unique game system to a fantasy setting. We were sure we didn’t want to make another medieval european setting, because there are plenty of awesome ttRPGs about it out there, and we felt there’s not much we can add to that subject that would make an original or interesting game. We considered several ideas, such as Mesopotamia, or the Old Testament, a bit like Aronofsky’s film Noe, but they were only brainstorming ideas, because my mind had already been caught by pre-hispanic America.

My first trip to the South American continent was when I was around 12 and I went with my family to meet our new sister. My parents had adopted an 8 year old Colombian girl. While I don’t remember much of that trip, because we only saw Bogota and its surroundings, many years later I met my now wife while studying in Cambridge, who -coincidentally- is also Colombian. Since then, I have travelled to Colombia many times and last year we took the opportunity to fly to Peru to visit some friends and as many Inca ruins as we could.

All of this, mixed with how much reading Aztec by Gary Jennings affected me as a kid, was an amazing cocktail of inspiration and the idea of Dragons Conquer America came to fruition.

I admit my personal interest came from learning of the Mexica civilization as an outsider. I wouldn't have dared getting into this game, these subjects, without a Mexican writer (JC Obal). While he is not a historian but a game writer; his sources include the most respected historians in Mexico, such as Alfredo López and Miguel León Portilla… and his very own grandparents, natives to one of the cultures we are exploring who offered him first hand access to their lore and myths. Additionally, we share a strong anti-colonial thinking.

The Inca, the Mexica, the Muisca, and the many other cultures in the area of that era were all so interesting. I am actually kind of sad that there haven’t been more ttRPGs written about them before (I know there are a few, but not enough!) as I would have played that to exhaustion in my teens!

We decided to set the game during the very first years of the arrival of the Spaniards, because they were a disrupting force that completely changed history. The game also has fantasy elements, as you can figure out from the game’s title. Fantasy allows us to explore myths and religions. Fantasy turns fears into truths. The Mayan temple is haunted. The shaman is a powerful mage. Fantasy also allows for more freedom and experimentation.

DCA is based on history, but it is not historically accurate. We have reinterpreted many historical facts and myths: Saint George did not kill the dragon, but instead converted it to Christianity. The Mesoamerican city-states are protected by guardian feathered serpents. The Catholic Kings of Spain have discovered the Fountain of Eternal Youth in the jungles of the Amazon and are now Immortal. Abandoned Mayan cities are now inhabited by strange beings, and haunted by their proud dead Kings. Priests of all religions hold formidable powers and their prayers are mighty spells.

The way you play the game remains the same as in most other ttRPGs: You are a party of adventurers braving into the unknown and performing quests. Most parties will be composed of mixed groups of Natives and Europeans, and most of the time you’ll be fighting monsters and creatures of the mythological pantheons of Mesoamerica.

To ease players into this setting, we have decided to write two short campaigns to accompany our Core Book, the Eight Omens and the Conquistador’s Gold.

The Eight Omens campaign is a celebration of Mexica myths. Players will embody four Native characters who are experiencing different omens that take them to various points in American history. Their aim is to interpret the omens that will help them be ready against the Spanish menace.

The Conquistador’s Gold is told from the perspective of four Spanish individuals that indirectly work for Hernán Cortés. Their main goal is to secure a huge bounty known as the Conquistador’s Gold, but the story might develop in a different direction depending on the player’s actions. The mechanics themselves promote tolerance and acceptance of the different, creating a natural arc towards tolerance for the players.

The Core Book itself is a classical RPG book, containing everything you need to play the game, from the core rules and subsystems, the character creation, gear and equipment, non player characters, the setting information itself and a short adventure to get you started.

The mechanics of DCA are oriented towards bringing people together to take down dangerous monsters, find treasures and unravel ancient mysteries; and not towards playing a “colonizer” or to play part in big wars and things like that.

What DCA as a ttRPG does is it focus its system so it works well when solving all kinds of issues, but it subtly rewards/punishes different types of gameplay to thematically guide the players into exploration, supernatural conflicts, teamwork, and overcoming one’s prejudices.

So get ready to play dragon rider nuns, tomb raiders, pochteca merchants, temple guards, eagle warriors, Spanish hidalgos, Christian or Mesoamerican priests, and join forces to explore the dangerous jungles of ancient Mexico. We have great plans to develop this game further, and even make it into a series, but that is a topic for another day ;

Celebrim

Legend
I suspect you'll have a lot of protests and negative publicity surrounding this book. Just remember that those people are not your customers and would not become your customers if you addressed them.

The art is beautiful. The story of the encounter between Cortez and Montezuma, which we actually have in great detail and can retrace the steps of those men, is one of the most tragic in human history. In particular, the moment when Montezuma decides to show off his piety to this strange demigod, and he brings the party up into the charnal house that was one of their great temples expecting them to be impressed by the hundreds of burning human hearts, encapsulates the genocide by culture shock that became the history of Mesoamerica. Sometime in the distant history of Cortez's people, it was thinkable to imagine sacrificing your own daughter to ensure the fortunes of war. But in Montezuma's present world, it was not thinkable to imagine that they would not, and to Cortez it was like receiving the very vision of hell. For the Aztec's, it was an excession crisis. You either adapted or died; they couldn't adapt. For the Spaniards, it was the confluence of all their basest instincts with all their most noble - no more perfect excuse to engage in the theft and murder that was the trade of those hardened mercenaries could have been devised.

It is the hubris of the modern man, that he imagines himself more moral and more enlightened than everyone who ever went before him, and judges everyone before his moral inferiors. I've always felt that to be a great failure of imagination, beyond the fact it is simply bad history.

I wish you luck. I personally am not very interested in drawing such explicit parallels with real history. But you have some powerful source material to draw on, and I hope you do it justice. Certainly I've never seen the like of it before, so it already has one thing going for it.

What about the Tlaxcaltec people, who allied with Spanish conquerors againts Aztecs ( I supossed because they didn't like the xochiyaoyatl or flower wars)? And the West half Northamerica? It was Spanish/Mexican land until the 1848 Mexican-Northamerican war.

Who could demonstrate American indigenous had been better with French, English, Muslims or Belgian invaders/colonists?

Have you seen the movie "Apocalypto" by Mel Gibson?

Why is a sad chapter of the History if it happens with Hernan Cortes? Wouldn't be with Roman or Northafrican invaders? If a group of Northamerican marines cross a stargate and they destroy Tezcalipoca's alien mothershipe they are heroes, but the same action by a fantasy equivalent of Hernan Cortes' expedition then is a sad episode of History.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter

Hi! One of the game creators here :)
FAITH is card based only. DCA can be played with cards or with dice. The whole point of the system is to grant more player agency and allowing players to manage their luck (if they play smart they can choose when to succeed at the expense of probably losing at something else later on — the trick is to know where to put their energies).
You can watch a pretty comprehensive video on the system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIWrtf6QptE
Card mechanics are really off-putting to most RPG players we have meet, dice seem intrinsic to rol-playing to many people. So we have had to carve our way into people’s attention almost one at a time in conventions. I know that from my mouth it has no value, but most people were surprised in a good way and realised that RPGs can work with cards just as well.
But again, you can play DCA with dice too :)

Thanks for the reply! I'll be picking this up for sure. Might not initially have a group to play but I know there's material inside I can use and enjoy.

Tahyer

First Post
@Celebrim, yes, we do get that a lot, but it only makes us want to work even harder. The story you mentioned is described very well in a wonderful novel I am reading ATM The Rain God Weeps over Mexico. I am halfway through, but I can already recommend it (although you seem to already know a lot about this period).

Thanks for your comment and your support :)

@Zarithar, thanks for your support, I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as we have making it!

What about the Tlaxcaltec people, who allied with Spanish conquerors against Aztecs ( I supossed because they didn't like the xochiyaoyatl or flower wars)? And the West half Northamerica? It was Spanish/Mexican land until the 1848 Mexican-Northamerican war.
Who could demonstrate American indigenous had been better with French, English, Muslims or Belgian invaders/colonists?
Have you seen the movie "Apocalypto" by Mel Gibson?
Why is a sad chapter of the History if it happens with Hernan Cortes? Wouldn't be with Roman or Northafrican invaders? If a group of Northamerican marines cross a stargate and they destroy Tezcalipoca's alien mothershipe they are heroes, but the same action by a fantasy equivalent of Hernan Cortes' expedition then is a sad episode of History.

I don’t think this is directed at me, but I’ll answer anyways.

The setting in the core book takes place previously to Hernan Cortes arriving to Mexico, so the Tlaxcala nation is still a free nation from Mexica power, but isolated, they only know about the Europeans from rumors. You can play Tlaxcalan characters if you wish.

I don’t think anyone could demonstrate that, but I think what people actually think is that it is better not to be invaded or colonised. Yep. I really liked it. It was very intense and I appreciate the effort to make such a film in a local language. Many people hate it because of historical inaccuracies, but it happens with all historical films.

Well, I think everything that destroys a society or a unique way of life is sad in itself. I am a fanboy of Julius Caesar but the defeat of Vercingetorix is still heartbreaking for me. While I love everything about Roman culture and history, the destruction of Carthage, the fall of Numantia, the end of the druids in Great Britain, etc, they are all sad episodes of History. That must be why there are so many films named the Last of something :)

@EthanSental, thanks a lot, enjoy it! ^^

Dire Bare

Legend
How talking about this but avoiding bad vibes?

This is an entertaiment fantasy product based in a age from past History. This is about the conquest of America, and matters linked to this, like the anti-Spanish black legend. We, everybody, know some horrible things happened but also there are a lot of lies told by the enemy propaganda by rival powers. We need self-criticism but not being manipulated by feeling of guilty. How to explain it better with an example? Let's imagine a comedy movie where a grumpy mother tells time after time about the annoying actions when you were a child. She says the truth, but her attitude isn't helping to fix and improve the things. We need a more asertive tone

We must notice about the syndrome of the tall poppies, when somebody stands out from the other, but he doesn't recieve respect, but hostility by rivals and envious. If we talk about the Spanish History, let's remember we are not forgiben because we, the people with "dirty blood" (Jew and Muslims ancestors) and a "lucky break", discoverd the new world, and become Catholic faith. And now the current USA is suffering the same fate, your own black legend created by enemy propaganda by rival powers. We need to get the right balance between self-criticism and faith in oneself, to know when to listen and when say no to the words by the toxic people and to say no to be manipulated by way of guilty feeling for things happened generations ago.

The hipotetical controversy about this tittle isn't only about its links with the sad facts from real History, but the Hispanic identity. The main powers want to controll the culture, and the WASPs (Protestan Anglosaxons), Communist China and (born again Christian?) Russia are fighting for the domain of the enternaiment industry (including sci-fi and fantasy fiction) to tell masses about how they have to think. (Didn't you know Hollywood works for the "Ministery of the truth"? You should notice the difference among the true freethinker who explains the reasons of his point of view, and the toxic people who try punish with psichological abuse againts who dares to disagree). The fiction, also the fiction about the conquest of America may be a tool to try hurt Hispanic identity, because powerful groups don't want to allow old members of Spanish empire to dream about to be a new great American again. Not if we aren't controlled by them. Henry Kissinger said: "When Spain wants to be important, becomes dangerous". Empires rise and fall, but Spanish one aren't wanted to get back up, worse they are still being too loyal to Vatican. Then the strategy is breaking our wings, our spirit, our willpower and faith in ourself to convice us we need help and guide by people from out to progress.

* What if that setting the Western Coast of America are "visited" by Chineses and Japaneses explorers with their own oriental dragons? (Macaus was Portugues and Taiwan ruled by Dutchs).

* What if the game master would rather to tell other type of stories? For example the fantasy equivalent of (year 1582) Cagayan battles, (Toledan steele againts samurai's katanas, Spain won), the battle of Lepanto (we should thank us that!!, we saved Europe!), Spanish rebellion by the folk againts the new king, the brother of French emperor Napoleon (everybody notices this last is an anachronism, but we can allow this in fantasy rpg, don't you remember Xena the warrior princess and the historical characters?), the siege of Cartagena de Indias (1741), an Irish trying to survive in the age of Henry VIII and queen Elisabeth, the 1589 Drake-Norris Expedition againts Spain, Calvin's teocracy in Geneve (do you remember the antagonists from the videogame "Far Cry 5"?) or a story about a vampire cult controlling secret masonenry lodges conspirating for the martyrdom of saint Fidelis of Sigmaringen?

( I hope my tone to be enough soft for this thread)

I'm having difficulty understanding your posts, and I'm assuming English isn't your native language (which is okay, of course). What are you talking about with "black legend" and "enemy propaganda"? Anyway, it might be best not to answer that, as ENWorld has rules against bringing politics up in discussions here. That can be hard when this setting deals with colonialism.

What the Spanish did to the Americas during colonialism was horrible, but the other European powers were plenty awful themselves. In general, humans are pretty good at being terrible to each other, regardless of their ethnicity, culture, or religion. It sounds like this RPG doesn't shy away from the horrors of colonialism, but also doesn't paint the Spanish as the "bad guys" either.

Yes, the black legend is all those horrible things said about Spanish empire and the Catholic Church. You can't imagine how strong is the anti-patriotic feeling in the Spanish society. Showing pride about the past is a taboo in Spain. The guilty feeling is very strong. Can you imagine? Somebody dared to say we should apologize the Muslims for the Spanish Reconquest. In December 2017, Victor Lainez, a 55 years old Spanish, was beaten to death, because he had the Spanish flag in his braces. Can you believe it? This happened really, and you can read it in some English-languange news. I don't lie. Here the patriotism is showed like something by nostalgics for Franco's dictatorship. I would dare to say Spain is the most self-critical in the world, no folk hate their own past like us. But in the last years a reaction starts to happen. The Spanish society is already getting sick of the "hispanophobia", a rebellion againts that guilty feeling for the past.

In Spain we have a saying "Cuando veas las barbas de tu vecino secar, pon las tuyas a secar" (= When you see your neighbor's beard drying, put yours to soak). It means you must taking notice, paying attetion, about what happens to you, because you could suffer the same situtation. That antipatriotism may happens also in America, both, Northamerica and Hispanoamerica. Why? A people without proud is more sumussive. Do remember Napoleon couldn't imagine he would lose the control of Latinoamerica because the Spanish common people rebelled, ( el dos de Mayo uprising). Napoleon's soldiers had to enter each house in the town to fight againts the civilians. They weren't used to this, because the rest of Europe wasn't so indomitable. Spain was the beginning of the end of Napoleon's world empire. They don't forgive us it.

And in the last years I am watching in social nets a new pro-Hispanist movement who questions the independence of Hispanoamerica. Was that freedom when they become slaves by the doubts with English banks who finance the rebellion, to be controlled by the mason lodges?

About the past, yes, sometimes some horrible things happened, but now it is the time to say that Spain wasn't the evil empire, but really we were the first empire who tried to be not so evil. We weren't the worst ones at all, only worse reputation by fault of enemy propaganda. That discredit has been a punishment againts Spain because we were the best ally of Catholic Church. We have to take care with the fiction, not only Historical novels and Hollywood films, but also with the sci-fi and fantasy fiction because theses could be used to encourage false stereotipes. (Do you rembember Castilla, from the rpg "the 7th Sea"? Now let's imagine in that settin the main antagonist is the empire of the crescent empire, the equivalent to Otoman empire, and (from real life) Turkishs start to complain about that negative image. Can you get an idea?). Do you remember the old far-west movies? Now lot of them aren't politically correct because the Northeamerican indigenous are the bad guys.

* OK, we shouldn't talk about political matters, but we can talk about, for example, the action-movie "Assasin Creed" and the real historical facts weren't as the moviel tells (the Muslim king Muley Hacen was who declared war to Catholic kings). We also can say "Superman: Red son" had been totally different if the writter was been Ayn Rand and no Mark Millar.

* About the background: why not adding more "visitors"? Russia and Morocco kingdom, for example.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matchstick

Adventurer
This seems like it would be fascinating to read, much less play. It's certainly a period and area that I know little about, but find extremely interesting. FWIW I actually like cards in my TTRPG. :)

That art; WOW! I wish there was an option to get some of that art in poster size. I can only imagine how amazing the originals must be.

Remove ads

Remove ads