🏳️‍🌈Pride Month- Celebrating Representation in TTRPGs🏳️‍🌈

As far as representation Paizo was pretty big on putting in prominent LGBTQ NPCs (both good and bad) in their 3.5 and Pathfinder adventure paths (and eventually their iconics) and making romantic NPC options explicitly pretty open for groups. Also they made steps since early on as a company to be openly and actively welcoming to LGBTQ gamers specifically.

Green Ronin was earlier with the niche romance fantasy RPG Blue Rose, but Paizo was a much more prominent and mainstream RPG publisher with a broad reach and impact for representation.
It sounds like F. Wesley Schneider was a pretty big driver of that for Paizo. The forum posts on the Paizo forum from him announcing his departure had a few people referring to what a huge advocate he was for including that material.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t there an indie game company with a majority of their designers being part of the LGBTQ + community? I seem to remember something like that.

Last edited:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t there an indie game company with a majority of their designers being part of the LGBTQ + community? I seem to remember something like that.
There are quite a few (most of which have just one or two full time designers). First I can think of, off hand, is Possum Creek.

A number of the RPGSEA creators who showed up around 2019 on itch.io are LGBTQ+, using RPGs as a medium of expression that lets them express what they can't in traditional media. I can think of quite a few Malaysian creators from this wave who are LGBTQ+. They often don't identify as such because of the homophobic and transphobic laws here...

Voadam

Legend
There are quite a few (most of which have just one or two full time designers). First I can think of, off hand, is Possum Creek.

A number of the RPGSEA creators who showed up around 2019 on itch.io are LGBTQ+, using RPGs as a medium of expression that lets them express what they can't in traditional media. I can think of quite a few Malaysian creators from this wave who are LGBTQ+. They often don't identify as such because of the homophobic and transphobic laws here...
A number of the itch bundles I have gotten have had a ton of LGBTQ perspective focused games so I assume at least a good number were written by LGBTQ people.

MGibster

Legend
I would say that currently the biggest LGBTQ representation TTRPG that comes to mind is Thirsty Sword Lesbians (with an obvious focus on the L) by Evil Hat Games which uses the Apocalypse World rules engine. The 2020 Kickstarter was a huge success including a ton of support material and it has been in a number of charity bundles including the current Big Bad Con Bundle.

It's a little weird that the only thing that bothered me about that title was that I didn't know what thirsty meant. Why would you have a game about a bunch of dehydrated lesbians? Weird.

MGibster

Legend
The game has a move where you tilt your defeated rival's face up with the tip of your sword under their chin, there has never been a game before or since that has understood its audience that well
I use TSL it as an example of a game that was produced for a particular audience in mind with everything from the rules to the artwork encouraging a specific style of game play. While I am not in that particular audience, I can't help but recognize what a great game TSL really is. If you love angsty lesbians with swords, this game is for you.

Remove ads