• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Lot Or A Little Equipment?

Wolf1066

First Post
In game and in real life I travel light. Necessary stuff for the area I'm in, enough spare clothing to get by.

Most my characters like multipurpose things, as I do. If they can cut down weight and bulk by carrying one item that does two or more different things, then all the better - like an army-style mess kit where the components do double service as bowls/pots or lid/plate.

I've done my fair share of lugging loads of stuff around and I know it's not fun. Over the years, I've cut my load back - I figure my characters are just as sick of lugging around everything but the kitchen sink as I am...

When I'm GMing, I make sure my players record everything they have and, in the case of certain equipment for which there is a broad degree of variation available, exactly what features it has. I also get them to mark what stuff they always have on their person regardless of whether they've left their pack, bed roll and tent at the camp site or their pack and spare clothes in the airport storage locker - stuff that's worn or carried in pockets/pouches.

I run a "if it's not on your list, you don't own it" game. And if it's not listed as an "always carried" thing, then we'd have to roll for whether its present or back with the spare clothes...

xXxTheBeastxXx

Explorer
As a player, it depends on the character. A rogue will pick multi-tools. Things he can use for multiple jobs so that he can travel as light as possible. Who needs a hammer when you've got a spade and a half-orc just dumb enough to hold the spike for you?
As a fighter-class, I carry everything I can get my bloody hands on. I just go down the damn list. He doesn't have the skill of the rogue, so he needs each tool for the job it was intended to do.
As a mage or cleric...I usually have the fighter carry everything.
Oh...and of course rations.

As a GM, I usually integrate a system wherein I just have my players pay 10 GP per month in-game and it pays for all inn and food expenses so long as they aren't too extravagant.

-The Beast

Hussar

Legend
For your characters, do you carry a lot of equipment or a little bit?

For example, my standard beginning equipment is:

/snip

a bag of flower,

/snip

I gotta ask about that one. A bag of flower? :p

Looks about right to me. Only thing you missed was something to drink. One of water, one of wine and one of some seriously high octane liquor that can possible do double duty works for me.

The Ghost

Explorer
It depends on the character I am playing and the edition.

In 1E and Basic/Expert I'll bring along everything including the kitchen sink. In 3E I go for things like the Survival Pouch, Everburning Torch, Everfull Mug, Everlasting Rations, and a Healing Belt first and then fill in more specific tools if it I think I will need them. In 4E I just write Adventurer's Kit and assume that it covers what I need.

In 3E if I am running a melee character (fighter, rogue, ranger, etc.) I try to make sure I have a number of potions to duplicate important spell effects (invisibility, fly, etc.) and a number of alchemical items (Tanglefoot Bags, Thunderstones, etc.) to help out in tricky situations.

In 3E if I am running a caster I focus on making my spellbook very, very versatile and I purchase eternal wands and pearls of power to broaden the number of spells I can cast per day. I shy away from scrolls and normal wands because my casters tend to be very miserly. :)

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I'll add a bag of marbles and a "little mirror on a stick" aka "the dental tool" for seeing around corners without attracting attention.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I second the suggestions of things like small mirrors, mirrors on poles, marbles and sacks of flour.

Flour, along with salt, pepper and oil can all be used for adventuring- put them all together, you can make basic unleavened bread.

Besides that, though, salt and pepper can be used as irritants to the eyes or nasal passages, and any critter remotely snail- or slug-like will be harmed by salt.

Salt can be used as a preservative for those fish or wild game you caught...perfect if your food supplies are running low and you're being forced to move away from a food source.

Flour can be used to help you find an invisible enemy.

And as Cerebus the Aardvark illustrated, an opened bag of flour swung around in a bar with a shout of "HEY UGLY!" can start a nice fight when you're bored.

Remove ads