• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A matter of human decency

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolletteIrieska

First Post
A 23 year old journalism student in Afghanistan has been sentenced to death for copying an article off of a website that contained "un-Islamic" material. Human rights organizations are up in arms over it. There is, of course, a petition. It's not getting any press, though, so I'm hoping that folks here will take a look at it and decide for themselves whether or not they want to sign.

http://www.petitiononline.com/af8f6912/petition.html

Please, guys, don't let this turn into an argument on religion. That has nothing to do with it. This is just a matter of human decency trying to win out in a sick, sad world.

Last edited:

Tewligan

First Post
IBL! Also, this is something that isn't going to be changed with a petition. "What? People don't want us to execute this person? Sorry, sorry!"

PolletteIrieska

First Post
Well, thank you for the tip. I will post it on Circus Maximus.

Whether it saves the kid or not, I have to try to help another human being. I can't just shrug my shoulders and say "life sucks."

But life does suck. I myself am nothing but an Endentured Slave. Sounds negative but its true. As for the original subject of this thread- most of my comments can not be said due to the rules of the site but one needs to think about the culture and mindset before you delve into anything that counter acts it.

Jeysie

First Post
megamania said:
but one needs to think about the culture and mindset before you delve into anything that counter acts it.

Unless the copying of said article will somehow result in someone else's death or other instance of equal severity of harm, I have a very hard time seeing how one could justify such a punishment with only a "respect for other cultures" card.

That being said, I agree an online petition isn't going to accomplish anything.

Dragon-Slayer

First Post
Without getting religious or political, but stating a fact: if people in some countries with certain beliefs feel that sending two young women with Down's Syndrome into an area to cause massive human destruction is acceptable behaviour they are not really very likely to respect a petition. A couple of countries over, but the same sentiment and "respect for other cultures".

Moderators, please feel free to edit if I stepped beyond the lines, my intention was to make a point, not a stand.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
While I appreciate the sentiment behind this thread, it does cross our no politics/religion boundaries. I'll close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads