A more dynamic hexblade

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Hello Gang,

Just wanted to seek out some opinion about a character. I have started play as a half-elf hexblade.
I have the option to go full elf since he has been hooded much of the time and had elf coloration per description from the start. Frankly he has not even cast a spell yet!

If I go ½ elf, I would be taking elven accuracy and greatweapon master at 4 and 8. He would have a charisma of 18 after elven accuracy.

If I change direction and go elf, I would be taking fey teleportation and likely greatweapon master. I would have a charisma of 16.

I would change up skill selection slightly so that either build would have stealth, deception, arcana and religion.

My questions:
1. Which would be more dynamic in a party with a forge cleric and two fighters? I could see some fun in misty stepping once per short rest next to vulnerable enemies or escaping.

2. Is it worth it to skip greatweapon master and focus on charisma in the case of elf (if the goal is to dish out some damage)?

3. Is there value in hitting with eldritch smite and just sort of ignoring greatweapon master if I go with greatsword?

mellored

Legend
1: Either would work. You could use some extra movement in a melee heavy party.

2: Polearm master will do more damage. GWM is only good with lots of advantage (something you could get with spells, but wait till you have more of them). Reach is also good with 3 melee people.

3: With 2 fighters, yes. Prone gives them advantage to bring on the hurt (unless they are archers, in which case, no).

Don't forget you still have eldrich blast. In case you can't reach someone, it's still damage.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
thanks for the advice. as you mention it, polearm master would also allow for an extra change for a crit, amplified by the curse feature of hexblades.

I do not need to optimize per se, but am really thinking about what I can skip and still be an effective combatant.

of note, if I did go with fey teleportation, I would have an extra short rest slot in effect since I would not need to worry about a spell for escape.

My desire is to have a balanced melee warlock. I want some investment in trickery and evasion (cantrip minor illusion and either misty vision or mask of many faces), as well as damage (eldritch smite and lifedrinker and thirsting blade.

as a result, the feats I take are related to invocations I take. I can skip repelling blast to escape grapples I think if I go with fey teleportation (I won't be maxing strength or athletics).

choices, choices.

2: Polearm master will do more damage. GWM is only good with lots of advantage (something you could get with spells, but wait till you have more of them). Reach is also good with 3 melee people.

Not necessarily disputing this but don't forget that GWM also gives extra attacks on a crit and Hexblade's curse makes you crit on 19+.

mellored

Legend
Not necessarily disputing this but don't forget that GWM also gives extra attacks on a crit and Hexblade's curse makes you crit on 19+.
Using the curse takes your bonus action, so you can't get the GWM attack on the same turn.
Plus you can also only use it once per short rest.

It improves at level 14 (and advantage really helps with the +10 damage).

With the 2 attacks, currse, and advantage. You have a 34.39% chance of getting the bonus attack. Or about 1 in 3 turns.

With both curse and advantage, GWM is more or less tied with Polearm. Depending on how many reaction attacks you can get.

If you want max personal damage, take Polearm, GWM, Curse, Advantage, and Elven Accuracy.

Though, using your spells to prone via eldrich smite, or give everyone crits with hold person, may end up with more total party damage. Especially if your fighters take GWM (GWM likes advantage no matter who it's on).

Remove ads