A Moreau by any other name

Prest0

First Post
Jerry (another 12 to Midnight writer) suggested something along the lines of NeoSapiens. That kind of has a cool ring to it, even if it isn't very scientific.

jerichothebard

First Post
In David Brin's Uplift Series, the uplifted chimps are called neo-chimps... they're basically Moreaus, if you look at it from a strictly rules-mechanics point of view.

Prest0

First Post
Also, "transgenics" refers to the transfer of genetic material from one species to another. So maybe TransGene or CrossGene?

I also can't help but keep recalling the the old short-lived sci-fi series Space: Above and Beyond. They had "In-Vitros", which were artificially gestated humans who were born at the physical age of 18. Humans derogatively called them "Tanks" for the liquid-filled tanks that served as their wombs. Or even worse, "nipple-necks" because their umbilical cords were on their necks, resulting in misplaced belly-buttons.

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Prest0 said:
Moreau, genetically altered human, artificial person, manimal--- they all refer to more or less the same thing. Unfortunately, the creatures from the d20 Modern book called "Moreau" were not released to the modern SRD.

Which is unfortunate, since the term "Moreau" has been used in the same context in recent fiction (ie not public domain) and was not attributed in d20 Modern. I would bet a brave user could get away with using the term with stats to their liking.

EDIT: Used by S. Andrew Swann in novels over ten years old.

Last edited:

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I'd say if it was done in fiction with the same name you could probably go for it.

I'd also vote for Chimeras. FullMetal Alchemist uses this term for hybrid animal creations (though for that specific setting, it doesn't work properly by "normal" alchemical "science"). FullMetal also has artificial humans and use the term Homunculus for them (not the little weird things of D&D).

Chimera is, indeed, the scientific term for a genetically blended creature so I think that works out well. The idea of genetically engineered humans is also pretty cool and the word Frankenstein is pretty public usage, I'd say. Chimeras are also known as Mosaics, but that's not very cool.

I like NeoSapiens for Franks, myself. Or "Alts" for Altered, but I don't know if that's copyright as it's so simple and I'm sure somebody thought of it before.

--fje

Remove ads