A Moreau by any other name

glenmac

First Post
Prest0 said:
Also, "transgenics" refers to the transfer of genetic material from one species to another. So maybe TransGene or CrossGene?

Kind of like that Prest0. Of course folks working on this might just nickname them Trags or Crogs.

Jerry Blakemore
12 to Midnight Inc.
Author Weekend Warriors, Skinwalker (coming this summer)

Von Ether

Legend
Prest0 said:
Unfortunately, the creatures from the d20 Modern book called "Moreau" were not released to the modern SRD. So... what should we call them? Has anyone released a product with Moreau-type creatures with an OGL name?

Actually WotC did. Look at the Modern SRD page under the Future section for the 92k file titled "mutations" and think about it.

If anything, using the mutation system (which suggest taking 0 point cosmetic mutations that could include fur, scales and eye shape) would be a more flexible way of doing the Moreaus and let you add more variety without coming up with stats from scratch. Heck, the upcoming d20 apok book looks like it has a centaur on the cover, a potental Moreau with a human head.

I felt your frustration for a while. I had a cool Moreau setting in mind, but wasn't willing to get d20 Modern for just a few stats (didn't like overload on magic and bare minimum on psioncs either). I was also burned about the lack of science fiction support for the game (at the time.) When I got d20 Future and saw mutations, I knew my search was over. :)

As an aside, I heard that the Moreaus were initially designed to be played in Moreaus PC only format. With a mixed group of norms, Overts are supposed to be ECL +1.

On a personal note, you whippersnappers better quit shoving my Moreaus under the "furry" catagory. I was into Gamma World, the Expendables and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles long before this furry stuff hit the scene. To me, it's like saying Elvis is punk simply because punk evolved out of rock n' roll.

Last edited:

Prest0

First Post
Thanks, Von Ether. Actually I noticed the Mutations in the SRD the other day. I'm not so much worried about stats (which I can either use from there or create my own), but simply what to call the resulting creatures. Since we'll definitely be releasing the results as OGL, I figured it would be worthwhile to get some outside opinions. That, and I was tapped out for ideas. :) Keep 'em coming!

malladin

Explorer
Etherscope will include a Moreau-like race, I can't say for sure whether they'll be OGL or not. Given that we got the names for them from other sources, I can't see why they should be. That said, I'm not willing to spill the beans on a public forum like this and have someone go and gazump me on the PI for the names.

Interestingly, I think it's pretty cheeky for WotC to count the name "Moreau" as their own intellectual property, given that is very clearly inspired by 'The Island of Dr Moreau'. This is surely an onld enough book to be in the public domain by now, and even if it wasn't I would have thought that WotC could avoid a law suit on 'fair use' grounds. Hence surely you could come up with the same rough idea, and stat them out yourself and publish it and claim that you used HG Wells' intellectual property, not WotC's...

But then again, who'd want to risk it... :)

Cheerio,

Ben

The_Universe

First Post
Here's what I did for a short lived future game -

Moreau's:
Homo Sapiens Eptesicus (Screechers, Batmen)
Homo Sapiens Ursinus (Yogis, Bearmen)
Homo Sapiens Canidus (Talbots, Wolfmen)
Homo Sapiens Felinus (Kylies, Catmen)
Homo Sapiens Phocoenus (Flippers, Fishmen)
Homo Sapiens Muridus (Walts, Ratmen)

Franks:
Homo Sapiens Pervalidus (Brutes)
Homo Sapiens Prestus (Deadeyes)
Homo Sapiens Ingeniarus (Eggs)
Homo Sapiens Venustus (Honeytraps)
Homo Sapiens Satellus (Praetorians)
Homo Sapiens Nocturnus (Stalkers)

I'm sure that some of the latin is wrong, but feel free to use it if you'd like.

Last edited:

beverson

First Post
slightly of topic, but... I seem to recall that some time ago there was a thread on these boards that had a lot of people posting their own Moreaus. Not having access to the search feature, I'm relegated to looking the hard way. Does anyone else remember this, and if so could they post a link to it please? thanks...

Roudi

First Post
Can't believe I didn't think of this before...

One of the articles coming soon in MODERNIZED Issue #3 details a number of sci-fi human variants. There's a number of human variants that are genetically constructed to embody certain useful traits. These tube-grown humans are called "Gene-Spliced". I think Gene-Spliced, as a name, could also apply to Moreaus.

Prest0

First Post
radferth said:
Can WotC copyright a name from an H.G. Wells story?

Probably not, but WotC made a conscious decision not to include them in the SRD, which means they'd probably take exception if we used them anyway. While we probably have the law on our side, A) we want to play nice, and B) they could out-spend us before it ever got to court. As such, it's easier just to come up with a different name. Come on, we're a bunch of creative guys and gals! I'm sure we can come up with something. There's already been several great suggestions. Whatever we settle on will definitely be OGC, so other publishers won't have to go through this kind of headache.

...Unless they just don't like what we come up with. :)

Right now I'm leaning toward tiered names. There's be a scientific or technical name (used by their creators-- something "PC"), a common name (how they would refer to themselves), and something slang or meant to be derogatory (used by those who are forced to Interact with them whether they like it or not).

Remove ads