A new beginning.

GladiusNP

First Post
Aerlyn sees, clouded, as if through thick glass, a black figure. The cloaked apparition holds an object at its’ side. It stands at one end of a narrow garret, the floor scattered with straw. There are bars on the window. At the other end of the room, a hunched figure sits, covered only by a few rags. Strands of blond hair, sweaty and matted, hang over the prisoner’s face. The black figure steps forward, becoming more visible, and says, in a low voice.
“Renounce your God.” No tone, no inflection is heard in the delivery. It has the unemotional ring of an order. The man does not respond. He remains crouched, given no sign he has heard the command.
“Renounce your God.” The man does not move. Again the order.
“Renou-.”
“Burn in hell, pagan. Both you and your false demon-god.” Cutting the other speaker off, the man raises his face so his hair falls back. A vicious cut into Aervir's forehead is still slowly bleeding, but the bloody streaks down his face only accentuate his defiance and fury. The other figure slowly raises the object up. It is a mace, the head in the shape of a skull.

Aerlyn wakes, the vividness of the dream still with her. Though startled, she makes no sound. Fallon is hooting crazily. Caedren is watching both of them from his seat across the dying embers of the fire. It is early morning, the sun just rising.

Dravis stands in the beaver pond next to the campsite. He has stripped down to his pants, and one arm rests beneath the water. Intent on something beneath the surface, he waits. Drilk, his wolf, waits on the shore, pacing slowly up and down, somewhat expectantly, it would seem. As the wolf turns, Dravis moves, in a blur of motion, and hurls something out of the water, a spray of droplets moving towards shore. Drilk moves, his black form moving to something on the ground. A large, gasping bass flops around on the grass of the bank, and Drilk quickly bites down.

Aerlyn looks around again. The campsite is no longer the culvert where Dravis slew the orc chieftain, but a beaver pond in the woods to the north of the keep. The sunlight glitters off the water, which laps lazily against the dam – a chaotic jumble of sticks and logs. Several freshly gnawed tree stumps are around the fire pit. On a slight rise, the fire is well situated to see across the pond (about twenty feet) but set back in the trees for cover. Dravis’ backpack and Caedren’s bow hang from a nearby elm branch.

WraithSpawn

First Post
Dravis gives Fallon a quick look.

"Your companion seems disturbed, perhaps he can sense the evil from that place. . . We have to strike soon, lest they strengthen in numbers or regroup. But before moving on to the darkness, let us eat. May the Watcher and his kin grace us with this meal and guide us in the fight to come. "

In this time Dravis has deftly gutted the fish and spitted it, slowly roasting it over the fire. He tosses Drilk the innards of the fish which he snatches from the air and swallows, scarcely chewing. Dravis looks around the campsite and walks over to the side, picking some small plants from the fringe of the woods. He carefully seperates the stalks from the leaves and tosses the leaves aside. He squeezes the stalks and a liquid oozes forth. He drips it over the fish and waits several more minutes before removing it and another (previously caught) fish. He hands Aerlyn and Caedren a large portion of fish.

"Save your rations.

After a moment of silence. . .

How should we approach this situation? I would say we need more men, but I think they're low in numbers and slightly disarrayed after losing their chieften. Aervir is still inside, every moment we delay is a moment that he may lay dead, he suffers, or worse. . . The weight of my conscience can scarcely bear it. It was my fault, if only I had expected that sorcerer. I felt he was weak, but he was our downfall.

And finally, more to himself than anyone else

It's my fault he was captured."

An uncomfortable silence ensues.

Last edited:

Aerlyn

First Post
Aerlyn rubs her eyes in an attempt to shake the vivid dream from her mind. After seeing Fallon's distress, she gently pets the feathers on his head and softly speaks to him in the Elvish tongue, hoping to calm him. She then sends him off to hunt for breakfast and approaches Dravis and Caedren.

"Aervir's capture was in no way your fault Dravis. There was no way any of us could know that Aervir would stay behind and continue to fight. He was well aware of the danger in that decision, and there was no way that we could go back for him in the condition that we were in. I believe that he is still alive, although I fear he won't be for long.

Aerlyn stared at the ground for a moment, slightly reluctant to reveal details of her horrible dream to Dravis and Caedren.

I had a dream of him suffering at the hands of his captor. He looked like he was in pretty bad condition. If he has any chance of surviving this ordeal then we must leave shortly. Unfortunately we probably won't have time to wait for help. Do you two have any plan on how to approach this situation? I suggest that we sneak in quietly and try to avoid confrontation until we get Aervir to safety.”

Aerlyn pauses, waiting for a response from Dravis or Caedren.

Ceadren

First Post
Caedren watches Dravis gut and cook his catch over the dying embers. Getting up and walking towards the water he reaches down with cupped hands and , unsuccessfully, attempts to wash away the sleepy glaze of the nights watch from his eyes. He turns and sees Dravis offering him the fillet and takes it with an appreciative nod.

‘Nothing like fish in the morning.”

Caedren ate the serving of fish with such enthusiasm, he could almost see a hint of jealousy in the wolfs eyes.

“ I agree with Aerlyn, Aervir’s demise was not your fault Dravis. Hopefully, as you say, we have reduced their numbers enough to stay alive long enough to find Aervir. Even though we are rested and in good health we have arduous rescue ahead of us. Shall we leave tonight or now? Either way let us proceed with caution…Aerlyn do you think this dream of yours was a vision of sorts?”

Caedren then grabs his bow from the tree and puts it in a pile with his other belongings. He then stands and walks over to Dravis and Aerlyn waiting on a course of action.

WraithSpawn

First Post
"If it was we should act swiftly. Let us prepare for the hunt, we shall free Aervir yet."

Dravis whistles to Drilk who eagerly comes over. Dravis begins folding his bedroll and is soon prepared to leave.

"I say we strike now. There's no time to waste and my spear aches for the taste of fresh blood. The Orcs and wizards shall cower at our approach."

Dravis begins the trek to the tower and surrounding ruins. He beckons Drilk, Caedren, and Aerlyn to follow.

"We can talk on the way."

Aerlyn

First Post
Aerlyn whistles for Fallon to return from his morning hunt. Fallon, hearing Aerlyn’s call, silently swoops down onto her shoulder and swallows the last bit of what appears to be a rodent. She then quickly packs up her belongings, grabs her spear and dagger, and starts off after Dravis.

“I do believe that my dream was a vision, but I am not completely sure. Either way, we have to get him out of there soon. I think we should approach this situation cautiously. We should try not to attack anyone until we get Aervir healed, or at least until we get him out of immediate danger. We won’t be any help to him if we get horribly injured again.”

Aerlyn turns her gaze towards Dravis.

“That means that you’ll have to resist the urge to kill Orcs for awhile. We’ll have plenty of opportunities for that later.”

Aerlyn smiles at Dravis, hoping that he'll understand and agree with her. She then turns to Caedren to see if he has any suggestions.

Ceadren

First Post
Watching Fallon return from his morning breakfast, Caedren slips his chain shirt over his head and gathers what possessions that are left on the ground into his pack. With longbow in hand he walks with Aerlyn to catch up with Dravis.

“Your right Aerlyn, the longer we can go without raising the alarm the more likely we are to find Aervir and stay alive. I think we should find another way in besides up and over. With the noise we make clambering up the wall and atop the battlements, we might as well stand at the gates in broad daylight banging sticks against some pots and pans.”

Moving to the front and left of the company, Caedren draws an arrow from his quiver and nocks it in place.

“Just in case.”

GladiusNP

First Post
One last cast of the die.

The now familiar sight of the overgrown keep meets your eyes, seen through the edge of the forest. The two sentries you killed last time still lie here, the corpses now stiffened and fly-blown. Silhouetted against the sky, the keep still seems as forbidding as ever. In the earth, a long, rusty spear is half-buried - a grim reminder of the orcish ballista. Even through the discomfort of the sun, two orcs now guard the foot of the tower to the right of the gate. One sits lazily, a spear resting between it's legs, while the other walks up and down the path.

(OOC - Spot checks - Aerlyn got 19, Caedren got 18, Dravis got 22. I should always roll for y'all! Fallon and Drilk don't get one, since they wouldn't notice this as unusual, whereas all of you can)

The seated orc stands, stretching. His black armour catches the light, but your attention is drawn to the clay jugs on the ground nearby. They are stoppered securely and neatly stacked up in easy reach for the seated orcs.

Ceadren

First Post
Creeping slowly and quietly, making his way towards a fallen tree for cover, Caedren signals for Dravis and Aerlyn to come closer. In a whisper he asks…

“Do you two think we can take those two? And if we do, how many orcs do you think will be crawling around these woods within the next five minutes?”

Resting his back against the tree stump, Caedren double checks all his fastenings and prepares for the upcoming battle. Looking toward Dravis …

“What do you think those clay jugs are for?”

(OOC - How far is it from our position to the orcs standing guard? Do I have a shot? Anything else we need to know OOC?)

GladiusNP

First Post
(OOC - About 50 feet. You have a good shot. Nothing else OOC. You can't see the top of the wall all that well, but it looks clear. Waiting for Alex and Kerry to post.)

Remove ads