• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A new class for Elves? [think Tolkien here]

Nyaricus

First Post
i am in the middle of worldbuilding and i want to put forth a question here. I wish to make a new base class [no name yet, thinking 'Elven Mage' might work {and yes, i know that sounds like a PrC name, but i am talking base class here}] that takes from both the druid and the wizard/sorcerer. a nature-mage basically.

My campaign is based around many of Tolkiens themes, and his elves didn't exactly use 'magic' (at least they continueally denied using it) but i am allowing myself to go with it and have, basically, this idea to form into a class - like i said, basically a nature-mage.

I am thinking 20-level build, spontaneous caster (with small number of spells known), an appropriate skill list, d6 or d8 HD, 1/2 BAB (maybe 3/4, but i doubt it), and an original spell list. My question is: has anyone made this sort of class, or EVER seen it before?

Any replys would be great, thanks.

Sigurd

First Post
Elf Class

Keepers of the First Ways

These elves hold that it was their race that awoke first among all creation. Their ears were filled with the whisperred magic of all things. Though many today have forgotten or only dimly remember these whispers, the keepers cling to this first and most powerful of magic.

Sigurd

Balgus

First Post
Nyaricus said:
I am thinking 20-level build, spontaneous caster (with small number of spells known), an appropriate skill list, d6 or d8 HD, 1/2 BAB (maybe 3/4, but i doubt it), and an original spell list. My question is: has anyone made this sort of class, or EVER seen it before?
Are you planning to balance it out any? cause it seems like you took all the stats and doubled it. HD went up, BAB going up, spontaneous casting, new spell list (prolly dips into the Druid list)

And if you are going to model it after the LOTR, then you will have to give them a couple more weapon proficiencies, like polearms, and bastard swords...

Either knock these down a few pegs, or boost everyone up a notch. Which mihgt be a lil hard considering the massive boost your mage is getting.

G'Luck

Nyaricus

First Post
- Sigurd, nice flavour text. I think i may use that, and even expand upon it once i get my campign book written up. Very close to the themes i am trying to bring through.

- Balgus, i do plan to make this class balanced, that's why i am posting on EN World. I definitively do NOT want a unbalanced class, like that recent Spartan mess that was posted. IMC, it will be a given that mage-types (actually, any spellcaster in general) will be a little more powerful than average, since my campaign is very heavily themed against Middle-earth.

For this class, it's power will lie in its spells. Perhaps "nature-mage" is the wrong description. More like a divine spellcaster with no divine connection, that suffers from ASF. UGH - i know how bad that sounds so *smack* me now. It's just really hard in some cases to transfer over Tolkiens themes sometimes, and that's why i need feed back here for this class.

MOst of the help i need is for a(n) (appropriate) spell list, and spell progression - and feedback on HD, BAB, etc. I think that BAB should probably be 1/2 - most of the elves who were mage types that could fight would have, in D&D terms, have taken some levels in fighter, so 1/2 BAB is fine.

HD, i don't know. Any sort of 'mage' type generally didn't get into combat, but elves didn't die that easily either. i am really wanting d6, but i am afarid that that will upset game balance.

Skills, i want them to be appropriate for any elven type that might have lived in Middle-Earth. That will cover many bases, in essence. 4+Int mod will probably be the OK'ed version, but if anyone has any arguments for 6+Int, i'd be willing to listen.

For weapons profs, i follow Weapon Groups, any for my house rules, BAB's of 1/2 give BAsic Weapons + One other group. I'd probably give these guys 2, instead. Elves IMC also get Bows for free, as a side note. In my sig, theres a link for my Tasty Bits thread, and in that therad theres a link to my Weapon Prof thread - Check it out, you might like it :)

i think that covers all i can do without getting down and dirty. Any other feedback? Sigurd, nice flavour text, but any critiques of the concept here?

DamionW

First Post
Nyaricus-

In my elemental world the druids and elves seceded from the four elements. I'm planning on tweaking the druids a little myself to make them more neutral and the arbitrators of the world. Less flashy elemental attack spells and more illusions/enchantments (sleep/invisibility, etc.) I'll talk to you more about this as your thread gets going.

Nyaricus

First Post
Thanks Damion! more and more, i see that we think alike in many respects (like that is what i would have done for an elemental campaign).

Can't wait to see the details :D

Aus_Snow

First Post
As many have argued, d6 is quite OK for Sorcerers (there's even one variant like that in the Complete Book of Eldritch Might, by Monte Cook). I concur.

hth.

Cabral

First Post
It sounds like you might want to start with a druid, apply the spontaneous divine casters in Unearthed Arcana then make their spells arcane and tweak the list/class abilities.

Remove ads