• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A One-Handed Wizard in Combat Needs Your Help!

Andras

Explorer
Caster's Glove from DMGII is like a Glove of Storing, but you can use staves, wands, and potions stored in the glove with out retrieveing them.

Cartigan Mrryl

First Post
Abe.ebA said:
A golem-style animated hand made of stone, metal, or whatever.

Ummm... this one wouldn't work all that well. In MM2, they have a template for that, problem is that the person has a 50% daily chance of going psychotic and murderous.... Good idea if he's willing to (or finds some way of avoiding the) risk it.

BadMojo

First Post
Cartigan Mrryl said:
Ummm... this one wouldn't work all that well. In MM2, they have a template for that, problem is that the person has a 50% daily chance of going psychotic and murderous.... Good idea if he's willing to (or finds some way of avoiding the) risk it.

How about some sort of graft of a zombie arm, or something like that? Some kind of animal or monster limb? There are graft rules somewhere...Eberron, perhaps?

Maybe it's because I just read "Perdido Street Station", but I'm a big fan of weird limbs grafted on to humanoids. :D

boolean

Explorer
BadMojo said:
How about some sort of graft of a zombie arm, or something like that? Some kind of animal or monster limb? There are graft rules somewhere...Eberron, perhaps?

Maybe it's because I just read "Perdido Street Station", but I'm a big fan of weird limbs grafted on to humanoids. :D

He's already got the Hand of Glory to use for raw materials. Graft the HoG to his stump.

Question

First Post
Lost a hand? PFFT FLESH WOUND.

Hmm i dont think rules wise a wizard would suffer from missing a hand. He can still cast with one hand, but it would be a pain RP wise.

Vraister

First Post
There is a necromantic prestige class in Tome and Blood where you have to replace one arm with a skeletal one. I think its called pale master.

Vraister

Question said:
Lost a hand? PFFT FLESH WOUND.

Hmm i dont think rules wise a wizard would suffer from missing a hand. He can still cast with one hand, but it would be a pain RP wise.

On the contrary.
It opens up a lot of avenues for discussion, particularly since it looks like he is carrying his hand around his neck at the moment - good for intimidate checks let me tell you. ;) Also, getting it healed requires a 7th level spell. The donation for this will ingratiate him greatly with the church he chooses to sponsor, opening up a variety of resurrection opportunities not normally available to the general populous. The other thing is that his lost hand is in the possession of someone which could be very interesting if it were ever found out. So funnily enough, role-playing-wise, it has been quite a boon.

My main issue with it was that it would cost the wizard (who is already taxed enough in terms of funds) over 2000gp, all because of a failed fortitude save. I have kept a fairly tight lid on resources meaning that this amount of money is a portion with some significance. I just wanted to make sure that the difficulties in swapping between casting and using his wands could be short-circuited in some way - which it appears they reasonably can be.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

JonnyFive

First Post
there are some grafts in the fiend folio. not sure about the monster arm stuff. also i think the libris mortis has some crafter feats that may translate over to this type of situation.

werk

First Post
Herremann the Wise said:
On the contrary.
It opens up a lot of avenues for discussion, particularly since it looks like he is carrying his hand around his neck at the moment - good for intimidate checks let me tell you. ;)

My brother in law tells me that if you ever cut off a body part, your natural instinct is to recover it and take it with you...tooth, finger, whatever. He believes it would be difficult and emotionally traumatic(er) to lose a 'piece' and just walk away.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads