• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A perfect example of RPG ignorance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghaladen

Explorer
Perhaps it's just one of those days that I feel like tearing someone a new one, but I found a video post on YouTube that really exemplifies the kind of ignorance that people still harbor for roleplaying games like D&D, and it makes me sick. Take Molly (may not be her real name), apparently this video she posted was about her experiences as a teenage girl, being forced to attend a D&D afterschool program, and being disgusted about it, opting to read terrible teen novels every visit instead of trying the game. From the tone she gives in the video, she still bears the same resentment toward the game, one she obviously has to this day never played. Now, there has been plenty of negative feedback in comments and dislikes so far, but I think that the flames should be fanned a bit more. It's one thing if she tried the game and said it wasn't for her, but this kind of negative press is not only antiquated, but completely unfounded and uncalled for. And now without further ado, the subject in question:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqNZZcHaJaQ"]To Do List: Molly Was Forced to Play Dungeons and Dragons[/ame]

Sorry if this matter has been attended to in a previous post, but I haven't seen it yet.

Last edited:

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
So, now that I've sufficiently humiliated myself (. . .)

It's from Aug 1, 2008 so she has likely discovered all sorts of new ways to humiliate herself since then.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Dude, I get my feathers ruffled over people attempting to demonize D&D and RPG's also. But this girl didn't do any of that. Basically all she said is that she doesn't get it. I'm also sure she wasn't calling D&D "humiliating". She felt she was humiliating herself by telling dorky stories about herself. You know, as in vulnerable = humiliating...

Seems like pretty thin grounds for umbrage.:erm:

And in before the lock.;)

ghaladen

Explorer
Don't get me wrong, I'm not on a witch hunt here (although that sounds like a fun pastime >:), but this girl is *EXACTLY* the perfect type of person to advocate RPGs too. Usually the most staunch dissenters are the ones who fall in love with the game once exposed in the appropriate fashion. I can't tell you how many people (including those in my own groups) who say they though roleplaying was the dumbest thing in the world until they tried it, and now they are diehard dice rollers.

Therise

First Post
Sorry, but this seems like something you should've just ignored.

She's not famous, she's not a politician, she just "didn't get it" with D&D.

Plenty of things to be more upset about, really.

Crothian

First Post
Why should we care? So what she didn't like it? Welcome to the internet age where people place their dislikes on line for everyone to see. I don't think your comments on this video are going to make her see the light. RPGs get bad press, some earned some not earned. But if your going to try to fix every negative opinion on the internet about RPGs then good luck to you. :D

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Y'know, you can post a vlog in response, right?

Asking people to stalk this poor girl in her comments seems both creepy and petty.
Creepy and petty?! I'm on it! :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

Seriously, any teenager being made to do anything after school that he/she does not want to take part in is going to sound much the same.

She doesn't like D&D, shrug and move on. Put up a pro-RPG video if that floats your boat.

The Auld Grump

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Oh god.... she has that annoying snivelly voice that fills me with an illogical rage and causes my brain to feel like it's being gripped in a vise and is slowly being cranked.... ever....so......slowly....until....my....head....explodes. Make it stop make it stop!!!!

Dice4Hire

First Post
Oh god.... she has that annoying snivelly voice that fills me with an illogical rage and causes my brain to feel like it's being gripped in a vise and is slowly being cranked.... ever....so......slowly....until....my....head....explodes. Make it stop make it stop!!!!

Where is your Youtube video of this?

Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads