Thinking About the Purpose of Mechanics from a Neo-Trad Perspective

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
The Term Neo-Trad is being used as described in the Six Cultures of Play article.

So, to launch this discussion I want to talk a little bit about how I started Roleplaying, and that'll ground my perspective and why it might differ from those of other people.

The year was ~2004 and I was ~10 years old, I had discovered the magic of the internet via websites like Gamewinners and had (younger than was allowed) begun using forums. Many of those forums had roleplaying boards where just like starting a normal thread here on enworld you would start an "RP" (literally 'Roleplay' as a noun, no game) as a thread and other people could join in and play entirely by post, here's a quick example of what play in an RP might look like, place each break in its own post by that user and imagine it playing out whenever people feel like throughout their day, or sometimes quickly at night:

User A: Jackie was leaning up against the castle wall with a book in his hand, occasionally glancing up to check who was walking by. He had a large and volumous mustache, a breastplate emblazoned with the colors of House Tolumane, and a sword hung at his side.

User B: Marissa pauses in her stroll through the gardens seeing Jackie, after catching his eye, she raises her hand in greeting "Hello Jackie!" she says "I'm on my way to the Garden to talk to Samuel about that spell he was working on, would you like to accompany me?"

User A: "Sure!" Jackie moves to accompany Marissa, he lifts his arm as if to offer it to her, but then shrugs weakly and looks off to the side instead, rubbing the arm with his other hand.

User B: Marissa smiles sadly and she wonders if things between them would ever be the same again. The two of them walk for a minute or two in the Gardens until they spot Samuel and she calls out to him as they approach.

User C: Samuel is on his hands and knees, with a pair of Garden sheers, trimming the roses bushes, as the two of them approach he...

And so forth, the rules are more like discussion etiquette (e.g. no bullying, no taking control of someone else's character) than game mechanics. This style of roleplaying was (and I believe still is) quite popular on fandom messageboards, such as Nintendo's Nsider Forums, Gaia Online's Forums, and a few were running around with more elaborate setups, such as Serebii.net which played host to the Fizzy Bubbles Game, which is notable for using GMs who were tied off to various zones and one-on-one'd players who were having adventures in the zones they attended to. I did this for five years before starting in on my first TTRPG. Now, despite not having conflict resolution mechanics, these RPs absolutely had fight scenes, even PVP-- and there were a few ways that was handled:

1. Participants were simply held to an honor system and other participants, particularly an RPs in-group, would come to a consensus about what was reasonable and what wasn't, resulting in someone having to concede.

2. Especially high powered participants would essentially turn fights into logic puzzles, you had to out-frame the situation in such a way that the other participant couldn't find a way out of it, and get what should be a finishing attack in, which again would have to be litigated by the other participants.

3. Results would simply be premeditated for desirable story beats, with the participants basically putting on a show for the other participants to be an audience for.

4. In at least one more competitive setting I experienced, the winner wasn't the winner in the fiction, instead the forum utilized judges who would step in to ref the match, and their main job was to decide who roleplayed the fight better-- literally the quality of their writing and pronounce a winner independently of if that person was knocked or whatever in the fiction. The emphasis here was on people who wanted to do fights independent of a larger narrative, whole RPs dedicated to this were called Militaries, and they were kinda like gangs of nerd roleplayers fighting for fun and turf.

Now, none of these were really satisfactory to my mind, and this seemed like a common sentiment, because they were all essentially dependent on the honor system and fiat, and the one that wasn't was essentially completely divorced from any simulation of the fiction that it takes place in. But outside of fighting, the roleplaying ecosystem was actually quite lovely, we did relationships, story arcs, action sequences, comedy, mysteries without any actual need for mechanics. Instead individual people would take point in 'leading the story' by introducing elements that the other characters would react to, prompt each other in ways that seemed interesting. Sometimes the RPs had strong plots, sometimes they didn't, character was the single biggest factor of these stories, particularly if they didn't have a strong ingroup who were driving a deeper narrative for the other players to react to. As a result, the stories were really about group dynamics. The participants, I would later learn, were mostly teenagers at that time, even fewer years older than me than I had assumed in those days of aggressive anonymity.

When I started playing DND, after a somewhat weak attempt by a friend to run a game at lunch in High School to introduce us to it using 3.5, I actually ended up purchasing the 4e rulebook before I knew what editions were and decided to jump straight into the deep end of GMing because I immediately recognized that roleplaying, as well as the language of fantasy fiction, was something I was well versed in and more prepared for. This is where we get to the point: I never had the problem a lot of people had with 4e not being conducive to roleplaying, my games in 4e were absolutely lush with roleplaying. We just did it, and whenever we needed to play out a fight, or even pick a lock or whatever, we turned to the ruleset-- we reverse engineered powers to figure out what our characters could do in the fictional space (my swordmage, could in fact, teleport every six seconds, and did so frequently).

The key I think, was that my background had primed me to not use mechanics to anchor my roleplay, and instead the system fit neatly to emulate physical space and conflict and answer the question of "should my character be able to do the thing." But it also needs to be said that despite a lack of mechanics that explicitly support roleplaying, my games were very much about roleplaying.

I'm not sure they were necessarily worse for that reality either which I know is one of the canonical answers to statement, instead it feels like it taught me a key lesson, that mechanics don't always need to provide a game with focus, but instead they need to step in to support the areas of the game that need the most support, when doing them without support creates friction. In that sense DND 4e's combat rules fit neatly into applying a ludic lens to fight resolution, and allowing us to demonstrate our character's elaborate powersets, while still allowing us to perform roleplaying in a way that was very natural to us (being me, and mostly people I taught how to roleplay.)

I think that this fits in well with the description of Neo-Trad play, because that leaves the character arc and the desires of the participants as the base driver of narrative action (because at least in my case, games that step into the business of producing narrative structure or dramatic spirals are easy to trip over) while using game mechanics not necessarily to define what the game is about, but instead to structure things that are hard to actually structure by hand-- in other words a game can be about roleplaying, while the rules for roleplaying are negative space. 4e seems to have been designed around this principle because the DMG of that era is famous for containing extremely interesting advice for everything from party-setting collaboration to vignettes, character arcs, pre-existing relationships, and so on. In this context, the game part is an aid to RP (though fun in it's own right, and I don't think that's as major a dichotomy as some might suggest) but the RP happens independently of the game you're doing it in, with concerns like theming or ludic texture being bigger concerns than whether the game delivers a particular kind of narrative in it's own right.

I think another key is that Neo-Trad play is deeply interested in character in the same way my message board RP days were, and is more centered on the ability for the participants to step into a thematic context and live out the identity of the character, than to have an extremely strong plot-- you don't need a game that produces heist fiction (thinking of Blades in the Dark) so much as you need a game where you can create a character who is a thief and lets them exist in that kind of thematic space, even if she doesn't actually pull of heists as often. In some ways, playing to find out becomes disruptive-- the events the game produces could very well ruin the character you were trying to spend time with and embody! This is why Neo-Trad emphasizes player empowerment over system or GM, because the focus is on removing obstacles that might stand in the way of realizing the story one wants to tell with a given character, with story notably taking on the aspect of a line or ray, rather than a line segment-- players CAN pursue dramatic, life changing events, but they can also play characters that are more static, where inhabiting their headspace is an expressive fantasy, rather than a novelty seeking one. The negative space is useful in this context, because it allows the game to come to the table still pregnant with the possibility of doing either or neither or both, whereas a game with less negative space in those areas enforces itself on the participants unless they simply opt out entirely.

There's a lot of thoughts here, and I realize the post isn't as focused as perhaps it could have been, but I wanted to explore this idea as its been continuing to percolate in my head.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I have a lot of thoughts about this post, but I need a little time to process them.

Absolutely fantastic post, though. I think thoughts on neo-trad play are a little underdeveloped around here because this forum skews older, but it’s great to get such a thoughtful look at the neo-trad perspective.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
So it's FKR with extra steps?

Is that the acronym for Free Kriegspiel?

Not exactly, that still has a referee who has the power to adjudicate, on the messageboards that power was typically more decentralized. The emphasis is also different since that game is still a wargame.

Notably though, you could think of its intersection with TTRPG as targeted FK, where some activities are more like Traditional K with all the rules, but the areas that are defined by negative space are Free K. The important distinction is the emphasis placed on how everyone is constrained by the rules and therefore somewhat empowered by their consistency (hence powergamimgs intersection with the neo-trad viewpoint) for some things, but not others.

The Term Neo-Trad is being used as described in the Six Cultures of Play article.

So, to launch this discussion I want to talk a little bit about how I started Roleplaying, and that'll ground my perspective and why it might differ from those of other people.

The year was ~2004 and I was ~10 years old, I had discovered the magic of the internet via websites like Gamewinners and had (younger than was allowed) begun using forums. Many of those forums had roleplaying boards where just like starting a normal thread here on enworld you would start an "RP" (literally 'Roleplay' as a noun, no game) as a thread and other people could join in and play entirely by post, here's a quick example of what play in an RP might look like, place each break in its own post by that user and imagine it playing out whenever people feel like throughout their day, or sometimes quickly at night:

User A: Jackie was leaning up against the castle wall with a book in his hand, occasionally glancing up to check who was walking by. He had a large and volumous mustache, a breastplate emblazoned with the colors of House Tolumane, and a sword hung at his side.

User B: Marissa pauses in her stroll through the gardens seeing Jackie, after catching his eye, she raises her hand in greeting "Hello Jackie!" she says "I'm on my way to the Garden to talk to Samuel about that spell he was working on, would you like to accompany me?"

User A: "Sure!" Jackie moves to accompany Marissa, he lifts his arm as if to offer it to her, but then shrugs weakly and looks off to the side instead, rubbing the arm with his other hand.

User B: Marissa smiles sadly and she wonders if things between them would ever be the same again. The two of them walk for a minute or two in the Gardens until they spot Samuel and she calls out to him as they approach.

User C: Samuel is on his hands and knees, with a pair of Garden sheers, trimming the roses bushes, as the two of them approach he...

And so forth, the rules are more like discussion etiquette (e.g. no bullying, no taking control of someone else's character) than game mechanics. This style of roleplaying was (and I believe still is) quite popular on fandom messageboards, such as Nintendo's Nsider Forums, Gaia Online's Forums, and a few were running around with more elaborate setups, such as Serebii.net which played host to the Fizzy Bubbles Game, which is notable for using GMs who were tied off to various zones and one-on-one'd players who were having adventures in the zones they attended to. I did this for five years before starting in on my first TTRPG. Now, despite not having conflict resolution mechanics, these RPs absolutely had fight scenes, even PVP-- and there were a few ways that was handled:

1. Participants were simply held to an honor system and other participants, particularly an RPs in-group, would come to a consensus about what was reasonable and what wasn't, resulting in someone having to concede.

2. Especially high powered participants would essentially turn fights into logic puzzles, you had to out-frame the situation in such a way that the other participant couldn't find a way out of it, and get what should be a finishing attack in, which again would have to be litigated by the other participants.

3. Results would simply be premeditated for desirable story beats, with the participants basically putting on a show for the other participants to be an audience for.

4. In at least one more competitive setting I experienced, the winner wasn't the winner in the fiction, instead the forum utilized judges who would step in to ref the match, and their main job was to decide who roleplayed the fight better-- literally the quality of their writing and pronounce a winner independently of if that person was knocked or whatever in the fiction. The emphasis here was on people who wanted to do fights independent of a larger narrative, whole RPs dedicated to this were called Militaries, and they were kinda like gangs of nerd roleplayers fighting for fun and turf.

Now, none of these were really satisfactory to my mind, and this seemed like a common sentiment, because they were all essentially dependent on the honor system and fiat, and the one that wasn't was essentially completely divorced from any simulation of the fiction that it takes place in. But outside of fighting, the roleplaying ecosystem was actually quite lovely, we did relationships, story arcs, action sequences, comedy, mysteries without any actual need for mechanics. Instead individual people would take point in 'leading the story' by introducing elements that the other characters would react to, prompt each other in ways that seemed interesting. Sometimes the RPs had strong plots, sometimes they didn't, character was the single biggest factor of these stories, particularly if they didn't have a strong ingroup who were driving a deeper narrative for the other players to react to. As a result, the stories were really about group dynamics. The participants, I would later learn, were mostly teenagers at that time, even fewer years older than me than I had assumed in those days of aggressive anonymity.

When I started playing DND, after a somewhat weak attempt by a friend to run a game at lunch in High School to introduce us to it using 3.5, I actually ended up purchasing the 4e rulebook before I knew what editions were and decided to jump straight into the deep end of GMing because I immediately recognized that roleplaying, as well as the language of fantasy fiction, was something I was well versed in and more prepared for. This is where we get to the point: I never had the problem a lot of people had with 4e not being conducive to roleplaying, my games in 4e were absolutely lush with roleplaying. We just did it, and whenever we needed to play out a fight, or even pick a lock or whatever, we turned to the ruleset-- we reverse engineered powers to figure out what our characters could do in the fictional space (my swordmage, could in fact, teleport every six seconds, and did so frequently).

The key I think, was that my background had primed me to not use mechanics to anchor my roleplay, and instead the system fit neatly to emulate physical space and conflict and answer the question of "should my character be able to do the thing." But it also needs to be said that despite a lack of mechanics that explicitly support roleplaying, my games were very much about roleplaying.

I'm not sure they were necessarily worse for that reality either which I know is one of the canonical answers to statement, instead it feels like it taught me a key lesson, that mechanics don't always need to provide a game with focus, but instead they need to step in to support the areas of the game that need the most support, when doing them without support creates friction. In that sense DND 4e's combat rules fit neatly into applying a ludic lens to fight resolution, and allowing us to demonstrate our character's elaborate powersets, while still allowing us to perform roleplaying in a way that was very natural to us (being me, and mostly people I taught how to roleplay.)

I think that this fits in well with the description of Neo-Trad play, because that leaves the character arc and the desires of the participants as the base driver of narrative action (because at least in my case, games that step into the business of producing narrative structure or dramatic spirals are easy to trip over) while using game mechanics not necessarily to define what the game is about, but instead to structure things that are hard to actually structure by hand-- in other words a game can be about roleplaying, while the rules for roleplaying are negative space. 4e seems to have been designed around this principle because the DMG of that era is famous for containing extremely interesting advice for everything from party-setting collaboration to vignettes, character arcs, pre-existing relationships, and so on. In this context, the game part is an aid to RP (though fun in it's own right, and I don't think that's as major a dichotomy as some might suggest) but the RP happens independently of the game you're doing it in, with concerns like theming or ludic texture being bigger concerns than whether the game delivers a particular kind of narrative in it's own right.

I think another key is that Neo-Trad play is deeply interested in character in the same way my message board RP days were, and is more centered on the ability for the participants to step into a thematic context and live out the identity of the character, than to have an extremely strong plot-- you don't need a game that produces heist fiction (thinking of Blades in the Dark) so much as you need a game where you can create a character who is a thief and lets them exist in that kind of thematic space, even if she doesn't actually pull of heists as often. In some ways, playing to find out becomes disruptive-- the events the game produces could very well ruin the character you were trying to spend time with and embody! This is why Neo-Trad emphasizes player empowerment over system or GM, because the focus is on removing obstacles that might stand in the way of realizing the story one wants to tell with a given character, with story notably taking on the aspect of a line or ray, rather than a line segment-- players CAN pursue dramatic, life changing events, but they can also play characters that are more static, where inhabiting their headspace is an expressive fantasy, rather than a novelty seeking one. The negative space is useful in this context, because it allows the game to come to the table still pregnant with the possibility of doing either or neither or both, whereas a game with less negative space in those areas enforces itself on the participants unless they simply opt out entirely.

There's a lot of thoughts here, and I realize the post isn't as focused as perhaps it could have been, but I wanted to explore this idea as its been continuing to percolate in my head.
That's a very interesting perspective. I don't think you mean the thread to be ABOUT how this works in 4e, but based on how you describe Neo Trad as kind of an agenda, I can see how 4e could be a pretty good fit. Unlike PbtA type games and such 4e doesn't demand that anything really HAPPEN. It is geared up for 'happening stuff', but the PCs could theoretically sit around and drink ale in the local brewhouse till the cows come home, or whatever it is that expresses the particular character and existing as that character. And you can definitely mix it up. The way quests are player-defined (or can be) for instance means the PCs can pick and choose, deciding that some situation or element of setting is something they want to get into, and setting a quest to do that. The way character build is so heavily in the hands of the PCs too, you can run a game where the players decide what quests to go on to get which items, and of course pick all the feats, powers, etc. that appeal to them.

So, yeah, it feels like this kind of play is well supported. I think its also not too surprising that 4e does this AND more standard modern narrative play pretty well, as I see the two as both emerging from traditional styles of play in reaction to early 90's 2e and V:tM being fairly unsatisfactory attempts to 'bring more story'. In both Neo Trad and Narrativist play the players provide a large part of the driving force, and some of the same process of play can apply. Given that 4e is a game that tried to kind of straddle the line between Narrativist and Trad, this may (or may not) have been an accident.

I'm interested in your view as to what other games offer similar experiences.

Is that the acronym for Free Kriegspiel?

Not exactly, that still has a referee who has the power to adjudicate, on the messageboards that power was typically more decentralized. The emphasis is also different since that game is still a wargame.

Notably though, you could think of its intersection with TTRPG as targeted FK, where some activities are more like Traditional K with all the rules, but the areas that are defined by negative space are Free K. The important distinction is the emphasis placed on how everyone is constrained by the rules and therefore somewhat empowered by their consistency (hence powergamimgs intersection with the neo-trad viewpoint) for some things, but not others.
FKR is full-on Trad, the referee is completely in charge, and is not bound by any rules at all. I'm a little hesitant to call FKR 'Kriegsspiel' though. That is, in true KS there's a very definite scenario, the players have pretty specific roles, and the game has a definite focus. There are no hard and fast RULES and the situations are OPEN in the sense that you can 'try anything', but each game is generally highly thematic. Fiction is introduced by the referee and outcomes are determined by the referee, possibly with reference to some rules, but not necessarily. I never really saw where 'FKR' can distinguish itself from something like a Braunstein.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
That's a very interesting perspective. I don't think you mean the thread to be ABOUT how this works in 4e, but based on how you describe Neo Trad as kind of an agenda, I can see how 4e could be a pretty good fit. Unlike PbtA type games and such 4e doesn't demand that anything really HAPPEN. It is geared up for 'happening stuff', but the PCs could theoretically sit around and drink ale in the local brewhouse till the cows come home, or whatever it is that expresses the particular character and existing as that character. And you can definitely mix it up. The way quests are player-defined (or can be) for instance means the PCs can pick and choose, deciding that some situation or element of setting is something they want to get into, and setting a quest to do that. The way character build is so heavily in the hands of the PCs too, you can run a game where the players decide what quests to go on to get which items, and of course pick all the feats, powers, etc. that appeal to them.

So, yeah, it feels like this kind of play is well supported. I think its also not too surprising that 4e does this AND more standard modern narrative play pretty well, as I see the two as both emerging from traditional styles of play in reaction to early 90's 2e and V:tM being fairly unsatisfactory attempts to 'bring more story'. In both Neo Trad and Narrativist play the players provide a large part of the driving force, and some of the same process of play can apply. Given that 4e is a game that tried to kind of straddle the line between Narrativist and Trad, this may (or may not) have been an accident.

I'm interested in your view as to what other games offer similar experiences.
Yup, in fact, some examples of these kinds of RPs include things like Wolf Pack RPs where things (in my experience) were mainly happening to let the PC wolves interact, dicker, and so forth, or indeed yeah you could have your RP be a bar setup of people who regularly show up and banter with each other. I think you see that a lot with RPs that are essentially Original Character Showcases, where you just take a character who's been floating around in your head and they walk in and interact with other characters.

VTM is probably a good example game actually-- it gives you rules for being vampires, and in theory it was a game of personal horror but in reality you had:

1. Personal Horror where people laid it on thick.
2. Parlor LARPs where you'd play socially with other people, which is a lot of hanging out and chatting.
3. Trenchcoats and Katanas where Princes or whatever give you quests to go beat up vampires causing trouble and maybe you fight an elder eventually.
4. Interpersonal dramas that ended up being more about relationships with a goth edge of "we're vampires" also the usual found family narrative.
5. Even more intense political games where the players try to mastermind their way to the top of the city.
6. Trad style DM planned campaigns where you're along for the ride, and all those other things are part of the world you're playing in but not really being driven by you.

VTM as played, largely didn't enforce any of these things, and all of them are percolating in 90s VTM war stories to this day. It was a clunky system, but the culture that surrounded it was a bit more neotrad in that regard-- it's not hard to see the signs of people developing quirky or melodramatic OCs and avoid ever having to part with them.

I think Lancer is actually an example too, super lightweight narrative mechanics, super crunchy combat when you eventually use it, and the game is actually very exacting about constraining even the GM making the combat into something the players can heavily optimize (as gonzo as the NPCs can be sometimes.) This makes sense, though, 4e was a major influence in producing it.

4e itself, pretty much exactly, we would only roll initiative every other session (partially because of how long combat took) and the in between sessions would be a lot of shmoozing, exploring, having dramatic scenes and campfire talks, and so forth.

I could do it even easier in PF2e if I wanted to, using all the dedicated subsystems, the game devotes a lot to combat, but it doesn't actually force you to fight and gives enough mechanical support to other things that I'd hesitate to say it would even feel wrong-- and it would make a lot of sense in a game where naughty word does eventually hit the fan.

Also, even though they play 5e, Critical Role's style of playing DND in the first two campaigns, where characters have such strong personalities and interpersonal motivation, has a very potent neotrad influence, though Matt ties it all together into a trad story-- which is all part of the reason that community gets very testy when a character dies, because they're thought of more as these kinds of eternal OCs, and are so interrelated to wish fulfillment.

Which actually I'd even point out:

While you can build for it, Neo-Trad historically tends to happen where it isn't forbidden, rather than where it's deliberately produced.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
@The-Magic-Sword

Thanks for the post.

I've been thinking recently of posting a thread about character design/build, taking as a starting-point some remarks Lewis Pulsipher made about D&D class design back in 1981 (What Makes a Good AD&D Character Class - RPGnet RPG Game Index). Your post makes me think that I should. I'll @ you when I do.

Also, I wanted to highlight this strand of your post:

mechanics don't always need to provide a game with focus, but instead they need to step in to support the areas of the game that need the most support, when doing them without support creates friction.

<snip>

I think that this fits in well with the description of Neo-Trad play, because that leaves the character arc and the desires of the participants as the base driver of narrative action (because at least in my case, games that step into the business of producing narrative structure or dramatic spirals are easy to trip over) while using game mechanics not necessarily to define what the game is about, but instead to structure things that are hard to actually structure by hand

<snip>

In some ways, playing to find out becomes disruptive-- the events the game produces could very well ruin the character you were trying to spend time with and embody! This is why Neo-Trad emphasizes player empowerment over system or GM, because the focus is on removing obstacles that might stand in the way of realizing the story one wants to tell with a given character, with story notably taking on the aspect of a line or ray, rather than a line segment-- players CAN pursue dramatic, life changing events, but they can also play characters that are more static, where inhabiting their headspace is an expressive fantasy, rather than a novelty seeking one.
Where you draw the boundaries between mechanical resolution and consensus/player-empowerment; and the way you contrast that with "playing to find out"; I think nicely captures the difference between "neo trad" and typical "story now".

Absolutely excellent post.

In some ways, playing to find out becomes disruptive-- the events the game produces could very well ruin the character you were trying to spend time with and embody! This is why Neo-Trad emphasizes player empowerment over system or GM, because the focus is on removing obstacles that might stand in the way of realizing the story one wants to tell with a given character, with story notably taking on the aspect of a line or ray, rather than a line segment-- players CAN pursue dramatic, life changing events, but they can also play characters that are more static, where inhabiting their headspace is an expressive fantasy, rather than a novelty seeking one.

Just capturing this part as it speaks to issues I’ve long known with a few friends who I’m abroad with right now (so I won’t have the time to elaborate too much).

The specific friction between “Play to Find Out” (or Story Now) and “OC/Neotrad” is absolutely about the dynamics of individual & collective novelty seeking through structured discovery vs the integrity and promotion of individual character conception and thematic arc.

You can’t have both of these agendas persisting simultaneously in the same play space. The type/location of structured elements + “the meta” of “holding on lightly” (in order to achieve that sought novelty and particular brand of discovery) of the prior is anathema to the latter.

I’ve run into this recently with a long friend’s nephew (about your age) who is also a friend. It’s interesting as the two pf them share your priorities and its given a lot of expression to certain struggles we’ve had in games I’ve run for them. Something that is interesting (at least I’ve found) is where Sim and challenge-based priorities come into this (and the difference between these two OC/Neotrad players) as a necessary vessel for play. You speak on this a bit above, but its interesting to me as it pertains to any given Neotrad player’s mental modeling both of (a) the integrity of their exclusive imaginings of their character’s conception in the play space and (b) their ability to conceive of and skillfully act upon their character’s prospective “lines of play.” It seems to me that the relative importance of (b) as a foundational aspect of play is a significant rider for Neotrad players that creates a divergence between one player vs another.

I would suspect there is one OC/Neotrad camp that would put forward a thesis “if (b) is given too much expression (in combat) in the play, then it might render my ability to have my character conception promoted and realized through the course of play” whereas another might put forward the thesis of “if (b) isn’t given sufficient expression (in combat), then my (this particular player’s) sense that we’re actually playing a game becomes unpalatably diffuse.”

Two things on that:

1) I’ve witnessed this in real time (though not using the words above) between the two aforementioned Neotrad players.

2) My use of (in combat) as the exclusive site of challenge-based priorities was intentional. There certainly seems to be a play agenda-spanning, uniform priority to freeform outside of combat and eschew noncombat conflict resolution. This seems to me that because, at some point, if allowed to resolve without some form of intervention (GM Force or player protest), there is a clear and imminent danger to the integrity and promotion of a given player’s character conception (circle back to the novelty seeking via structured discovery of “Play to Find Out”).

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
Absolutely excellent post.

Just capturing this part as it speaks to issues I’ve long known with a few friends who I’m abroad with right now (so I won’t have the time to elaborate too much).

The specific friction between “Play to Find Out” (or Story Now) and “OC/Neotrad” is absolutely about the dynamics of individual & collective novelty seeking through structured discovery vs the integrity and promotion of individual character conception and thematic arc.

You can’t have both of these agendas persisting simultaneously in the same play space. The type/location of structured elements + “the meta” of “holding on lightly” (in order to achieve that sought novelty and particular brand of discovery) of the prior is anathema to the latter.

I’ve run into this recently with a long friend’s nephew (about your age) who is also a friend. It’s interesting as the two pf them share your priorities and its given a lot of expression to certain struggles we’ve had in games I’ve run for them. Something that is interesting (at least I’ve found) is where Sim and challenge-based priorities come into this (and the difference between these two OC/Neotrad players) as a necessary vessel for play. You speak on this a bit above, but its interesting to me as it pertains to any given Neotrad player’s mental modeling both of (a) the integrity of their exclusive imaginings of their character’s conception in the play space and (b) their ability to conceive of and skillfully act upon their character’s prospective “lines of play.” It seems to me that the relative importance of (b) as a foundational aspect of play is a significant rider for Neotrad players that creates a divergence between one player vs another.

I would suspect there is one OC/Neotrad camp that would put forward a thesis “if (b) is given too much expression (in combat) in the play, then it might render my ability to have my character conception promoted and realized through the course of play” whereas another might put forward the thesis of “if (b) isn’t given sufficient expression (in combat), then my (this particular player’s) sense that we’re actually playing a game becomes unpalatably diffuse.”

Two things on that:

1) I’ve witnessed this in real time (though not using the words above) between the two aforementioned Neotrad players.

2) My use of (in combat) as the exclusive site of challenge-based priorities was intentional. There certainly seems to be a play agenda-spanning, uniform priority to freeform outside of combat and eschew noncombat conflict resolution. This seems to me that because, at some point, if allowed to resolve without some form of intervention (GM Force or player protest), there is a clear and imminent danger to the integrity and promotion of a given player’s character conception (circle back to the novelty seeking via structured discovery of “Play to Find Out”).
Yeah, my own group does make them somewhat compatible but there is some friction (mainly between the desire for instrumental play and the desire for purely expressive play) the main thing about compatibility is the degree to which the activities interfere with each other. My players still experience surprise and novelty but its derived more from the things their characters are put up against or have the opportunity to learn about, so its more of a vibe of seeing their characters be themselves in new places and situations. Meanwhile they experience the challenge of the game and the play of the game, but it mainly just limits their sense of what their viable expressive choices are somewhat, makes us prefer very balanced systems (where concepts are close enough in power to justify in an instrumental play environment), and makes them keep any intraparty and extraparty conflicts temporally separate (e.g. the argument we have at the campfire about our differing sense of ethics doesn't bleed into whether or not I heal you, or whether or not I'm a part of a fight.)

One other technique I've seen used to great effect is best exemplified by ye olde Princess build concept, where the character is mechanically very competent, but the flavor plays it off as shenanigans, dumb luck, or even the skill of their allies. Consider as a character option the Unexpected Sharpshooter which outright suggests existing in a state of mechanical competence, but fictional incompetence-- it seems to me that it bridges the gap you're discussing between expressive and skillful play, and that it could be performed without a specific option. Similarly, skillful play situations can simply influence the tone of the expression-- if players like to play the game as a game and want to preserve challenging situations, they need only accept the need to express themselves as competent people. The key here is that players can make active choices in their expression, if they're invested in certain other aspects of the game, in order to accomodate them-- though in the arguably neotrad spaces around 5e, this is a frequent point where problem players may rear their ugly heads, hearing that a game is combat heavy and then contrarily expressing a pacifist character.

Remove ads