D&D 5E A persistent fighter

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
So I wanted to make a Paladin of low birth who rose to be knighted due to persistence in fights.

I am thinking about sacrificing some offense maybe in order to make this.

but I digress. I wondered if anyone had experience with The heroism Spell with a character with heavy Armor master. Or even armor of Agathys...

I imagine a Paladin that prays for fortitude and righteous endurance to keep standing. Mechanically looking for ways to make this so.

so far, I have HAM and possibly the heroism spell. I am also thinking about resilient con as as well. One day maybe tough feat.

G

Guest 6801328

So I wanted to make a Paladin of low birth who rose to be knighted due to persistence in fights.

I am thinking about sacrificing some offense maybe in order to make this.

but I digress. I wondered if anyone had experience with The heroism Spell with a character with heavy Armor master. Or even armor of Agathys...

I imagine a Paladin that prays for fortitude and righteous endurance to keep standing. Mechanically looking for ways to make this so.

so far, I have HAM and possibly the heroism spell. I am also thinking about resilient con as as well. One day maybe tough feat.
Sounds like you want a half-orc paladin. Relentless Endurance.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Does the character have to start as a paladin? A few levels in barbarian or fighter could make a very tough character. Perhaps a rune knight.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'd suggest Inspiring leader feat. It works very well thematically, and grants temp hp which supports the theme mechanically as well.

Warpiglet-7

Hill dwarf?

I like hill dwarfs and half orcs fine. Looking hard at variant human.

I know most folks focus on smites but I am thinking about pretty judicious use of spells too. So resilient con has thematic and mechanical teeth think.

I could have heroism up sometimes. I could have the character do some inspirational or spiritual thing prior to or during its casting.

Last edited:

Warpiglet-7

I'd suggest Inspiring leader feat. It works very well thematically, and grants temp hp which supports the theme mechanically as well.

I like this idea actually. Before the fight I could RP the hell out of it and then have some extra hps. I could fire up the party to boot.

This would also allow me to keep more spells for smites as I was looking at heroism as temp hp boost but this would sort of take the place.

well, it might also mean I don’t have to look at resilient con as much either.

And it’s thematic.

honestly I liked the oath of conquest abilities and it would make a cool character just not this character. armor of Agathys is a favorite. I just have a harder time seeing LG and from low birth embracing the conquest bit so much.

I was imagining a folk hero common man beginning or perhaps acolyte. I was imagining paladinhood was inspired by bad happenings and danger suffered by common folk. He was either taken in by good priests or maybe a Paladin after bad stuff.

with the prayers and speeches, maybe acolyte will work. Inspiring leader could border on sermon-like

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
hmmmm... Armor of Agathys definitely plays well with HAM, but it does not play well with Inspiring Leader as well. It's also "powered by carceri" which bothers me to be honest for a LG paladin.

I would tend to go sword and shield for the extra AC, but maybe duelist instead of defensive, that way you are a bit less reliant on smite (and can use your spells for other things more?)

Warpiglet-7

hmmmm... Armor of Agathys definitely plays well with HAM, but it does not play well with Inspiring Leader as well. It's also "powered by carceri" which bothers me to be honest for a LG paladin.

I would tend to go sword and shield for the extra AC, but maybe duelist instead of defensive, that way you are a bit less reliant on smite (and can use your spells for other things more?)

right. Conquest Paladin can be any alignment technically but I don’t know if it meshes so well with LG for me.

I am thinking sword or hammer and shield and duelist. Good grief. If you cast divine shield you would be hard to hit!

Remove ads