• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Potential Earthquake in the Videogame Industry: UNITY Install Fees

What I am trying to say is, that this was handled for maximum outrage.
This is definitely true, because I honestly don't know how they could've handled it worse. Let's also release a FAQ that just says 'yep, all your fears are true', and then go silent.

Note that it hasn't had an effect on their stock, because the gambling market doesn't have any sane relation to anything. We'll see if that materializes once Microsoft/Sony weigh in on retroactively being on the hook for moneys.

Might be an interesting week.

The rate that Unity was seeking, is I believe in line with what is charged by Epic for the UnReal engine but with a much reduced threshold.
Absolutely it is not "in line" with Epic, because it was a flat fee, not a percentage.

Unreal charges 5% of revenue once you earn over $1m.

So you actually have to be bringing in money to get charged by Unreal. With Unity, because it was/is a flat fee per install, you could very easily be charged vastly more than you were making, or a vastly higher percentage (even ignoring the lower threshold).

If you were making a very large amount of money, Unreal would actually take more. But they less financially successful you were, the cheaper your game was, the worse Unity's fixed fees were going to hit you. This is obviously perverse as hell, because Unity is primarily used for lower-end, lower-price (or even free) games, whereas Unreal is primarily used for higher-end products. Unreal also are willing to negotiate - a lot of devs that use them are paying much lower rates than 5% - including down to zero in some situations (as Epic themselves say on their website) - I suspect given the wild uptake of UE5 that they have been negotiating pretty generously of late (I very much doubt WotC would be willing to give away 5% of revenue on the 3D VTT, for example, but they're using UE5).

At 20c per install, if a product was only ever installed once, Unity would have been cheaper for any game which cost $4.00 or more. But that's if a product was only installed once. Ever. Which is very unlikely. As they were proposing to charge per install, we should multiply that by at least 3, and suddenly we're looking at a situation where an awful lot of Unity games would have been cheaper with UE - and UE's fee was keeping a lot of devs away from it.

If I’m understanding their policy correctly, it’s for every install, or every install after the second, correct?

If that’s correct, it’s not just developer-unfriendly. A malicious actor could buy a copy of a game from a company they don’t like, include it in some malware or just have multiple computers to script installs and uninstalls (very easy), and drive a company into bankruptcy.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If I’m understanding their policy correctly, it’s for every install, or every install after the second, correct?

If that’s correct, it’s not just developer-unfriendly. A malicious actor could buy a copy of a game from a company they don’t like, include it in some malware or just have multiple computers to script installs and uninstalls (very easy), and drive a company into bankruptcy.
Only every first install is what they are saying...now...but they haven't inspired great confidence that they can gather the appropriate data to make the charges correctly.

The policy as stated initially was every install.

And absolutely - that was one of things developers were pointing out - especially with LGBTQ+ friendly games and the like, there are absolutely 8chan wankers who would go extremely far out of their way to game that system in exactly that way. Virtually every Unity game would become vulnerable to it.

Now they seem to be backpedalling to "only one install counts", but unless they reveal their methodology, which they've been actively refusing to do, that ain't good enough.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
'Sir, what about when people ask how we come about our numbers?'
'Just tell them to trust us, bro. Why do I have to think of everything.'
Theoretically it wouldn’t be hard for a game to send basic install info to themselves near the end of the install. Game company now has data to combat overestimates.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

I think that part was backtracked on a bit. I think i read installs to the same computer don’t count now.

Remove ads