• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Potential Earthquake in the Videogame Industry: UNITY Install Fees

Ryujin

Legend
I read all corporate press release apologias in the voice of Matt Berry.

giphy.gif

Well, in my experience, I would say that the best protection when you're in front of a judge is to have everything in a written contract that specifies things clearly. As opposed to relying on "unwritten contracts" and assumptions.

That said, people often confuse what's legal with what is ethical, and what is permissible with what should be done. The Venn diagrams of those may occasionally overlap, but they are hardly perfect circles.
As the saying goes, a verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on.

(Colin Robinson got hit by John Slattery's car in front of the ramen place, around the corner from my uni)

Yora

Legend
When I saw their initial statement started with "It certainly has been a week, hasn't it?", I already knew everything there was to how they are going to treat the whole situation.

Could also have started with "We did a whoopsy." and it would have come across as just as mature and responsible.

And trying to rewrite contracts (even unwritten contracts) is always a terrible idea. It's like trying to tell someone that now that they've used your product, you are going to force them to pay you more money retroactively. That's not an easy thing to say you should be allowed to do when the judge is looking at you.
Some folks can get away with it.
darth-vader-alter-the-deal.gif

GreyLord

Legend
As the saying goes, a verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on.

(Colin Robinson got hit by John Slattery's car in front of the ramen place, around the corner from my uni)

Well, some implied or quasi contracts ARE written on paper (though are considered unwritten as far as I know) when they are based upon laws. These types of unwritten contracts CAN actually take precedence over written contracts (a good example of this in SOME nations, but not all, are non-compete clauses in contracts. Some of those non-compete clauses in certain nations are invalid and unenforceable because they break the higher contracts created by law, or the legal system).

This of course, depends on the nation or country in which the situation is occurring. The specifics can change per nation though. This affects business and their dealings and how they write things out in each area where they do business. Of course, for a more in depth knowledge of this one should probably talk and refer to their lawyer or legal departments to find out how it would actually affect something like unity's proposals on the subject.

He didn't get away with it though, did he? Because of the altered deal Cloud City rebelled Vader's prey escaped.
Been too long since I've watched Empire.

I don't recall the city rebelling so much as Lando..which does support your point, but also suggests that Vader should have altered the deal further.

Besides that, I kinda think Vader could have had his prey (Luke) regardless of the circumstances of the deal if Vader had employed a bit more situational awareness.

(Note: I am not supporting altering the deal further, and I am aware that this is a digression)

Vael

Legend
Only every first install is what they are saying...now...but they haven't inspired great confidence that they can gather the appropriate data to make the charges correctly.
More to the point, (and insert "I am not a programmer" here), from what I've heard, the only ways to capture said data is either illegal under some data laws and/or requires a fair amount of spyware.

Which is a bit rich given Unity acquired a company that had a history of making malware.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
More to the point, (and insert "I am not a programmer" here), from what I've heard, the only ways to capture said data is either illegal under some data laws and/or requires a fair amount of spyware.

Which is a bit rich given Unity acquired a company that had a history of making malware.
Yeah, the OGL 2.0 was a Bad Idea, but at least they were talking about a reasonable reporting structure that wasn't likely to be gamed by random bad actors to destroy publishers for giggles.

Remove ads