• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Potential Earthquake in the Videogame Industry: UNITY Install Fees

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
More to the point, (and insert "I am not a programmer" here), from what I've heard, the only ways to capture said data is either illegal under some data laws and/or requires a fair amount of spyware.

Which is a bit rich given Unity acquired a company that had a history of making malware.
The CEO of said Malware Company is currently a Board Member for Unity.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Well, some implied or quasi contracts ARE written on paper (though are considered unwritten as far as I know) when they are based upon laws. These types of unwritten contracts CAN actually take precedence over written contracts (a good example of this in SOME nations, but not all, are non-compete clauses in contracts. Some of those non-compete clauses in certain nations are invalid and unenforceable because they break the higher contracts created by law, or the legal system).

This of course, depends on the nation or country in which the situation is occurring. The specifics can change per nation though. This affects business and their dealings and how they write things out in each area where they do business. Of course, for a more in depth knowledge of this one should probably talk and refer to their lawyer or legal departments to find out how it would actually affect something like unity's proposals on the subject.

Your first paragraph is ... um ... kinda confused (I'm being kind).

To try and unpack-

1. Implied contracts and "quasi-contracts" are not written on paper. If there is an actual contract, that controls. Instead, "quasi contracts" (such as the equitable concept of unjust enrichment) are simply the idea where the court imposes the obligation, usually under quantum meruit. But they would never take precedence over a written contract.

2. You cannot contract for something unlawful because its unenforceable. That's not a quasi contract, that's just contracts 101. So in some jurisdictions, for example, certain non-compete clauses would be unenforceable.

3. While I cannot 100% guarantee this, I am reasonable certain that any competent business would run proposed changes to licensing through legal prior to announcing them. Whether or not this applies to Unity Software Inc. (dba Unity Technologies) is beyond the scope of my knowledge. That said, this is a truly bizarre post to respond to, even to the extent I tried to understand it, because this is about licensing, and its a truism that implied licenses re: IP are incredibly limited under the law.

4. Finally, as a general rule, don't believe legal stuff from the internet. No, not even mine. If you have a real-world problem, consult a competent attorney in your locality.

While I cannot 100% guarantee this, I am reasonable certain that any competent business would run proposed changes to licensing through legal prior to announcing them. Whether or not this applies to Unity Software Inc. (dba Unity Technologies) is beyond the scope of my knowledge.
Hah, the "any competent business" is always an exciting concept, given how many vastly incompetent things one sees from companies way too rich to be anywhere near that incompetent. Like, to be fair, 98% of the time wealthy business are plainly competent, at like a baseline level, but that other 2%, hoo boy.

Also worth noting some companies have basically fundamentally useless in-house counsel. You may well have come across this yourself. I've never understood this, because in-house counsel tend to be pretty well-paid and often have better hours than is common, and it's very easy to get cost-efficient legal advice from definitely-competent external law firms (whether engaging them directly, using panels or whatever), so it's mystifying why this is surprisingly common. But you get these companies who have, like a decent-sized, well-paid in-house legal team, and they're just terrible at their jobs. And it's worse because they often essentially have "one job". Some things are probably not worth digging into I guess. Some combination of knowing where the bodies are buried, corporate inertia, internal politics, and so on I guess.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Also worth noting some companies have basically fundamentally useless in-house counsel. You may well have come across this yourself. I've never understood this, because in-house counsel tend to be pretty well-paid and often have better hours than is common, and it's very easy to get cost-efficient legal advice from definitely-competent external law firms (whether engaging them directly, using panels or whatever), so it's mystifying why this is surprisingly common. But you get these companies who have, like a decent-sized, well-paid in-house legal team, and they're just terrible at their jobs. And it's worse because they often essentially have "one job". Some things are probably not worth digging into I guess. Some combination of knowing where the bodies are buried, corporate inertia, internal politics, and so on I guess.

In my experience, the "one job" of a lot of in-house counsel is just coming up with new and inventive ways to say, "No."

People like to believe that there is logic and some order to the world. If you're a big company, surely you're doing things right and competently...

Meanwhile, Twitter is going to start charging subscription fees from everyone for its use.

Ryujin

Legend
Big Company, Government, the kid making my burgers after work....

All just people, and as we on the internet know and prove, 'people' are fools.
Don't even need the internet for that. I've been hit with two ridiculous employment contracts. One had a completely unenforceable non compete. I signed that one. The other had a rider on it stating that anything I created/invented while employed by them, even on my own time, belonged to the company. This was my first job in the computer industry, in 1986. No limitation was stated on the scope of it. I surprised the hell out of them by refusing to sign, unless they modified it to specifically state "directly related to the personal computer hardware industry." They did. I signed. I'd have called anyone who signed the original contract stupid for doing so, except at least 50 people already had before me.

Remove ads