• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Potential Earthquake in the Videogame Industry: UNITY Install Fees

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Warning Top Secret GIF by Laff

Looks like Unity posted Q & A on their forums.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-plan-pricing-and-packaging-updates.1482750/

Something sounds bat****-insane about this part:

Q: Is software made in unity going to be calling home to unity whenever it's ran, even for enterprice licenses?
A: We use a composite model for counting runtime installs that collects data from numerous sources. The Unity Runtime Fee will use data in compliance with GDPR and CCPA. The data being requested is aggregated and is being used for billing purposes.

Q: If a user reinstalls/redownloads a game / changes their hardware, will that count as multiple installs?
A: Yes. The creator will need to pay for all future installs. The reason is that Unity doesn’t receive end-player information, just aggregate data.

This is not going to blow over well with companies likely to go over the threshold like Niantic. Pokemon has to go call the lawyers.

Ryujin

Legend
A little disclosure, for those not aware. John Riccitiello, CEO of Unity, was formerly CEO of EA. He resigned due to EA's poor financial performance. Over the last year he has reportedly sold more than 50,000 shared in Unity and purchased none. It is not stated how many shares he currently holds.

A little disclosure, for those not aware. John Riccitiello, CEO of Unity, was formerly CEO of EA. He resigned due to EA's poor financial performance. Over the last year he has reportedly sold more than 50,000 shared in Unity and purchased none. It is not stated how many shares he currently holds.

That confirms what I thought when my youngest told me that it was led by a former EA CEO. I immediately thought of Riccitello, the man who killed Pandemic and made BioWare mediocre in released games (IMO).

Remove ads