A Problem of Nobility or Things that go Bump in the Night (Covaithe Judging)

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
At Kruk's greeting, Raiyek smiles back. "Yes, it seems you will have a chance to see my new sword in action first hand, and I your new axe!" The paladin doesn't make more conversation, though, instead watching the orc and bugbear who are also in the tea shop, seeming to assess them. He quirks an eyebrow to nobody in particular at the orc's apparently civilized demeanor, especially coupled with his reference to smuggling, but doesn't say anything for the moment.

When Kruk makes a mess and excuses himself to clean up, Raiyek chuckles. "That's Kruk," he mutters under his breath while he's gone, a small smile on his lips as he continues to take in his surroundings and apparent companions.

renau1g

First Post
After directing Kruk to the washrooms, the man stands up, goes to the door and opens it. He leans outside and looks up both sides of the street, then seemingly satisfied comes back inside and shuts the door, locking the portal.

He returns to his chair the same time that the dwarven warrior returns and after sitting down you can see the weariness on his face.

"Good morn, I am Corporal Dumain of the guard. I am glad that you all have come, and are willing to help the city of Daunton in a mystery that has proven to be quite vexing. About two months ago, some minor nobles in the city were starting to notice things being taken from their homes, not full blown robberies, but rather, more personal items, like the brooch that had been passed down in the family for generations, or a favoured hat. This was the first problem we found that we couldn't answer. We chalked it up to disgruntled servants, a true thief would've taken their gold or jewels, not their trinkets. About two weeks ago now was when we realized how wrong we were, the first of the bodies showed up outside the guardhouse. Then one each night since, we have posted guards outside the nobles homes, but somehow the creatures are making it past the sentries and getting into the homes. The bodies have had their throats slit and a curious symbol left on their corpse. We haven't been able to identify it ourselves, but here is one of them" the corporal says, tossing a metal symbol on the table.

It is a tooth of some sort, nearly as long as a dagger, but dark blackness covers the top portion of it.

"What I need you adventurers to do is find out who did this and bring them to justice, any way possible. The streets of Daunton broker no quarter for murderers and they face the galleys, so do not be afraid to teach those evil foes to fear the reprecussions of their actions. If you succeed, I will be willing to give 150 gold pieces to each of you as payment for services rendered and you will have my thanks" the man finishes, looking to each of you for a response.

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=judging]From the conversation in the discussion thread, it looks like I'll be judging this. Looking forward to following it![/sblock]

johnmeier1

Explorer
You heard a polite knock on the door just as the guard finishes his introduction.

[sblock=OOC]Sorry, I was traveling back from vacation and missed that we were starting. Please let me in :)[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
The guard smiles at the newcomer and opens the door to him.

"Welcome, Sorry for leaving you out, but I thought you might be getting cold feet. I'm glad to see you here, grab a seat, tea's hot and the company's good" the man says, and reiterates the problem for the dwarf.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Raiyek's posture straightens (if that were possible) and his face solidifies into an expression of determination as he hears the guard's predicament. "It would be my honor to hunt these assassins; I vow I will bring the swift justice of Palladys upon them." The elf turns to the other adventurers. "What say the rest of you? Kruk?"

Last edited:

N3rday

First Post
Xoc turns to the Elf. "I'm all in - sounds like a worthy cause to me, and the coin isn't too shabby, either."

The Orc turns and addresses the Corporal. "You say their bodies appeared outside the guardhouse? Are you saying that the intruders snuck in, assassinated said nobles, and snuck their bodies out, all while their houses were under heavy guard? What about their murderers - was any evidence found? Footprints, signs of forced entry, picked locks, or anything to that effect? Any information, no matter how trivial it seems, could aid us - as you said, we are not dealing with ordinary thieves here."

Last edited:

dimsdale

First Post
Kruk listens to the guard and then inspects the tooth. "I've never seen anything like this before." Looking up at the party Kruk states "I'm in. This thing, whatever it is, must be stop before more lives are lost."

Turning to Raiyek, bumping him on the arm with his fist, he states "Here we go again." Pausing for a moment, he states with nervous laughter "I hope it's not another echo. (See adventure: Echos of O)"

Last edited:

johnmeier1

Explorer
Georg listens to Raiyek and Xoc, waits for Kruk to speak and then speaks in measured tones. This has the ring of the arcane if there is no sign of the assassin's passage. The small personal effects may have significance beyond mere burglary. I hope that my knowledge will aid in our investigations. He looks over the tooth Kruk is holding and then sits back in thought.

[sblock=OOC]Not sure when my Arcana knowledge will come into play, but I am ready to investigate. I have my second approval now as well![/sblock]

Remove ads