A Problem of Nobility or Things that go Bump in the Night (Covaithe Judging)

renau1g

First Post
Xoc turns to the Elf. "I'm all in - sounds like a worthy cause to me, and the coin isn't too shabby, either."

The Orc turns and addresses the Corporal. "You say their bodies appeared outside the guardhouse? Are you saying that the intruders snuck in, assassinated said nobles, and snuck their bodies out, all while their houses were under heavy guard? What about their murderers - was any evidence found? Footprints, signs of forced entry, picked locks, or anything to that effect? Any information, no matter how trivial it seems, could aid us - as you said, we are not dealing with ordinary thieves here."

"I am glad that you all have decided to aid us in this endaevour. As to your questions, I'm afraid that I have little answers. The locks showed no signs of forced entry, their were no footprints visible or other clues left behind. We suspect that it's some sort of new gang or crime syndicate trying to make a name for themselves here. That's based on the public nature of the body disposal and the tooth left on the body. I will leave you to conduct your investigations if you have no further questions. Once you've dealt with the threat, I'll await your return here." the corporal says, beginning to rise

dimsdale

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Not sure when my Arcana knowledge will come into play, but I am ready to investigate. I have my second approval now as well![/sblock]

Kruk looks over at Georg as he sees that the spell caster is studying it some. "Take a closer look Greorg." Kruk slides the tooth to him. "Maybe there are something about this tooth that you might know that we don't."

[sblock=ooc]
Greorg: roll 1d20 plus bonuses (if any) for both arcane and perception checks on the tooth. If you roll high enough maybe we might learn something more about the owner of this tooth.
[/sblock]

Kruk then turns to the others. "Should we wait until nighfall to check the area out where the bodies were found in order to see if this pattern of butchery continues, or should we investigate during day time, thus giving potental enemies knowledge that someone is on to them. I vote for a night stake out. What does everyone else think?...Hmmm...we could also talk to relatives of the slain nobels as well, although they maybe too scare to talk about it."

Last edited:

Tinwe

First Post
Grim speaks up. "My vote is for a nighttime reconnaissance. I am well learned in stealth and tracking- perhaps I can put my skills to use there."

N3rday

First Post
Xoc finishes the last of his tea and stands up. "Well then, Corporal, I believe we shall take our leave of you and begin our mission - we won't trouble you with the details of our investigation, as I am sure you have much work to attend to. We will be in touch soon. Good day."

Xoc walks outside, beckoning for the rest of the group to do likewise. Once they finish their business in the shop, he addresses his colleagues. "I concur with Kruk and Grim - someone has to be leaving the bodies, and I bet that someone could be persuaded to spill his or her guts. But first, I'd like to hear what our wizard friend has to say about this tooth."

[sblock=OOC]Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'd prefer leaving and not discussing the how and why of our investigation in front of the Corporal. We can't do any good by giving him information he doesn't need, and if we need to question him further we can always come back. Trust no one! [/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
Xoc finishes the last of his tea and stands up. "Well then, Corporal, I believe we shall take our leave of you and begin our mission - we won't trouble you with the details of our investigation, as I am sure you have much work to attend to. We will be in touch soon. Good day."

"My thanks for you haste and I appreciate your consideration. I don't care how you find out, just get it done. Oh and one more thing, I require your utmost discretion about this, if the other nobles hear about this, they'll be up in arms, although I'm sure I don't have to worry about that" the corporal says, his voice taking on a threatening edge.

[sblock=OOC]
Once our resident arcanist rolls his arcana checks, we can move scenes to the night and your surveillence (unless someone has any objections)
[/sblock]

industrygothica

Adventurer
Carolina stiffens a bit when the Corporal mentions the possibility of another gang. It wasn't long ago when quietly put the majority of two warring gangs to ashes, her own mother one of the charred victims. Still, the silent halfling follows the others outside and listens to the conversation.

[sblock=OOC]Being intimately familiar with the thug-life, is there any skill check that Carolina could make to see if she recalls anything familiar about the modus operandi of the current situation?[/sblock]

[sblock=Carolina stat block]Carolina- Female Halfling Rogue 1
Passive Perception: 14, Passive Insight: 9
AC:17, Fort:11, Reflex:17, Will:13 -- Speed:6
HP:24/24, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges left:7/7
Initiative +5
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Powers: Sly Flourish, Deft Strike, Positioning Strike, Blinding Barrage
[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Being intimately familiar with the thug-life, is there any skill check that Carolina could make to see if she recalls anything familiar about the modus operandi of the current situation?[/sblock]

[sblock=Carolina]
Streetwise would be the most appropriate under the circumstances.
[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=Streetwise check]1d20+8=12[/sblock]

[sblock=Carolina]
Despite her knowledge of the streets and gang-related activities, Carolina can't recall hearing anything about this particular method of attack or infiltration.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Arcana]Arcana 17+9=26
My perception is only +2 but I included that roll also
Perception 13+2=15
[/sblock]

[sblock=Georg]
Looking over the tooth, you are fairly certain it is from a creature of draconic descent, and by examing the serrations in the tooth, the length, compostion, and design. You can tell that the long slender tooth is used for ripping chunks of meat out of the prey, rather than crushing bones, and based on your expert training you feel pretty confident that it is from a black dragon.

*OOC - Nice roll :)
[/sblock]

Remove ads