D&D 5E A Proper Ability Score Generation Preference Poll

What PC ability score generation method do you prefer?

• Pick any scores you want

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Point-buy of 27 ponts

Votes: 77 40.5%
  • Standard array only

Votes: 17 8.9%
  • Default PHB: Players' choice of 4d6 drop lowest OR standard array

Votes: 20 10.5%
  • Players' choice of 4d6 drop lowest OR point-buy (27 points & including standard array)

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • 4d6 drop lowest only

Votes: 19 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 29 15.3%

Wulffolk

Explorer
I feel overwhelmingly guilty when we roll and I get massively better stats than someone else.

So 27 Point Buy or Standard Array.

When you get the high rolls BE THE HERO
When you are the one with the low rolls BE THE SIDEKICK
Not everybody needs to be equal, nor should they be, in my opinion.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I use standard array +2, by which I mean standard array and every player gets an extra 2 points to allocate as they see fit.

The +2 is normally of me usually running groups of 3 PCs; I suppose if I started with 4 I might drop it.

smbakeresq

Explorer
I have said many this many times, but the most important way to generate PCs is at game session 1 with the whole group there. We use 4d6-L, but that's from old habit. If everyone shows up with a PC idea and theme, which you should, it take just a few minutes to generate your abilities and get the level 1 sheet worked out. Doing so:

1. Lets you roll for abilities right in front of everyone. If something is out of line the group and DM will decide, something like 6 roles with nothing higher than 12. There wont be any complaints and no one will get upset if you get blessed with a a good set, you did it right in front of them,

2. You start building a group dynamic right there. With life cleric and a Paladin you will see that you can play a Valor Bard. With a rogue in the group your fighter can see that Shield Master will be useful to get those sneak attacks in with advantage. Things like that.

3. Your DM can see what you are doing and then adjust from there. He can fit the adventures right around the group.

4. After the first session, where you will be level 2 or 3 after, then you can go home and fill out your PC with your group in mind. The email chain starts for the group discussing how to integrate everyone's abilities.

We have always done this so we never have to worry about rolling 4d6-L. If you think a player would cheat that I wouldn't play with that player, but that's me. But with unknown players I can see it, but rolling in front of everyone eliminates the problem. Sometimes you will get an average PC, with just a few 14's while someone else gets an 18 and 2 17's, that's ok. You can feel happy for another player, next time it could be you.

Iry

Hero
When you get the high rolls BE THE HERO
When you are the one with the low rolls BE THE SIDEKICK
Not everybody needs to be equal, nor should they be, in my opinion.
That wouldn't work at my tables. None of us would want to risk such a long term emotional consequence on a few seconds of good/bad luck. The closest we come these days is sometimes rolling, but then everybody uses the same results in the order of their choosing.

But mostly we just skip the risk and Point Buy.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I have said many this many times, but the most important way to generate PCs is at game session 1 with the whole group there. We use 4d6-L, but that's from old habit. If everyone shows up with a PC idea and theme, which you should, it take just a few minutes to generate your abilities and get the level 1 sheet worked out. Doing so:

1. Lets you roll for abilities right in front of everyone. If something is out of line the group and DM will decide, something like 6 roles with nothing higher than 12. There wont be any complaints and no one will get upset if you get blessed with a a good set, you did it right in front of them,

2. You start building a group dynamic right there. With life cleric and a Paladin you will see that you can play a Valor Bard. With a rogue in the group your fighter can see that Shield Master will be useful to get those sneak attacks in with advantage. Things like that.
All of this is great, until...

3. Your DM can see what you are doing and then adjust from there. He can fit the adventures right around the group.
...here. Ideally the DM has one (or more) adventures ready ahead of time, with hooks ready to dangle in the water...and these adventures are what they are, neutral and independent of whatever combination of PCs the players come up with in session 0.

4. After the first session, where you will be level 2 or 3 after,
...and here. A level or two advancement in just one session? Bleah!

We have always done this so we never have to worry about rolling 4d6-L. If you think a player would cheat that I wouldn't play with that player, but that's me. But with unknown players I can see it, but rolling in front of everyone eliminates the problem. Sometimes you will get an average PC, with just a few 14's while someone else gets an 18 and 2 17's, that's ok. You can feel happy for another player, next time it could be you.
And here you're back to good stuff again. :)

Lanefan

smbakeresq

Explorer
What DM doesn't show up with adventures ready to go and then adjust on the fly? You shouldn't be DM if you don't come prepared. A group cant be so odd that it requires complete adjustment, I was trying to think of a really strange group comp but really as along as you have one frontliner and some form of healing you should be able to do something.

First level is a blow through, the xp to get to second level is so low its hard not to advance if you do anything and live. Second isn't much either, but usually we get built out and ready to go and then get through first level.

smbakeresq

Explorer
The biggest problem I have with the standard array (and 27 point buy in most cases) is if you tell me your race and class I will know what all your stats are. Its not just me either, any competent player will immediately will be able to guess with a high degree of accuracy. It gets boring.

Remove ads