• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A question about grab/other mechanics

tobiasosir

First Post
Not entirely, as escaping costs your enemy its move action. So unless it then sacrifices a standard to move (and forgoes its attack), it cannot reposition itself. Sometimes this can be very important in 4e.

Good point...and I am the defender, so keeping the enemy grabbed is a good use of that role...

Last edited:

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
Well, taking your hand off the spear does have an additional shortcoming - your opportunity attacks/combat challenge will be with an improvised weapon (so, no proficiency, crappy damage) until you get both hands back on your spear.

tobiasosir

First Post
Well, taking your hand off the spear does have an additional shortcoming - your opportunity attacks/combat challenge will be with an improvised weapon (so, no proficiency, crappy damage) until you get both hands back on your spear.

In this case, I could just expend a minor action to ready my spear again, right? As long as I remember to do so, it should be fine.

I don't suppose there's a feat out there that allows you to treat a two handed weapon as a one handed weapon?

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
That sounds right.

That would be one hell of a feat... The only cases of that are in some superior weapons such as the Bastard Sword and the Dwarven War Axe, but these are specific cases.

There is not a general feat that would do that in 4E. This would be quite unbalancing.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
Actually, I think it would be a free action - but it would mean you would have to release the grab.

Or, as brought up earlier, you can swap from to a 1 hand weapon - the Master at Arms feat from the Essentials series counts as Expertise for all melee weapons and lets you swap weapons (so, sheath your current weapon, draw a new one) for a minor action.

Last edited:

tobiasosir

First Post
So I spoke with my DM and we've decided to forego the vampiric heritage for now. Turns out we're leveling up in time for tonight's session, and although he had many of the same ideas and suggestions as everyone here, we've both decided that it's just a clunky thing. I want to keep the longspear; using an action point for this blood drain power isn't economical (and I was reminded that I'd only get to do that once every two encounters!), and I would need to invest a lot just to make it workable.

And, the main reason I wanted to do this was so I had something to explain my character's background, and add some flavour. Which is nice, but it's a lot of work for just that. So I'll hold off until it's a bit simpler--perhaps when I can get my hands on a grasping longspear.

In the meantime, I can acheive the same ends through roleplaying; I've decided that every once in a while in combat, my character will simply lick the blood off her spear (or wipe blood onto her hands and lick her fingers). Still creepy, still vampir-ish, and it won't tie up gameplay options and feat choices. Plus it gives me some precedence in case I want to take the vampiric heritage feat down the line (which I do, as I've found the Bloodknight pp, and definately want to go that route...)

But all of this makes me think...what exactly is the intent of this power? Is there an optimal solution, perhaps with a different race or class, that doesn't make it so difficult to use easily? It seems cumbersome.

And thanks everyone for being so helpful...even if i didn't take this route, I've learned a lot about mechanics and economics with my actions, and it's been very helpful. Most of all, I'm starting to see the value of roleplay vs mechanical play--that is, sacrificing mechanics for a good character concept isn't necessary, and it's best to find something that's efficient (and roleplay around it) than to get some concept that's hard to play, but cool.

buddhafrog

First Post
The truth is, I would have done the same thing as you did as a player. As a DM, I would have done something different. As a bystander, I wish you would have done something different. It is clunky, but it makes for a great story. Which when I'm playing is less important than my capabilities, but from the outside, I love when players chose story over ability.

Good luck!

tobiasosir

First Post
The truth is, I would have done the same thing as you did as a player. As a DM, I would have done something different. As a bystander, I wish you would have done something different. It is clunky, but it makes for a great story. Which when I'm playing is less important than my capabilities, but from the outside, I love when players chose story over ability.

Good luck!

That's the way I was going originally, i think--story over ability--but what it came down to is that I'm not fully familiar with all the rules yet, and I probably should be before i start manipulating them.
But don't get me wrong, it's still something I'd like my character to do...my next feat choice is level 4, so that gives me some more time to figure out the details!

Plus, i don't think I mentioned that all of this is a secret to the other players--another bit our DM included in the game is that we all have a piece of our past we don't want to share, and this is mine. Not choosing the heritage feat now gives me the chance to play with everyone a bit. Am I a vampire or just really creepy and morose?

Last edited:

tobiasosir

First Post
So I ended up with a different feat--training in perception, which was great because mine sucked--and the inspiring fortitude utility. I didn't retrain anything, but have that option next level.
And in our session last night, I was able to incorporate some of the 'vampiric tendancies' into my gameplay, which worked nicely. And, I was able to reach the destiny my GM had liad out for my character, so I have the option now of building a new one if I choose--though I don't think I will.

So it all worked out, I was able to accomplish what i wanted thematically with the character, and I still have the option to take it further, I just need to wait a couple levels.

Oddly enough, the grab mechanic came into play during the session as well. We had a gnoll who had taken prisoner a friend of ours, and we were trying to rescue her. We hit him once, and he bolted--and since he was faster than us, it seemed he'd get away. But in an awesome display of teamwork--very satisfying--we caught him. I was able to see in actual gameplay how a hold works, what needs to be done to get it and keep it, and how to get out. After watching it happen with our rogue, I'm glad I didn't go that route right now; I wouldn't have been able to pull it off that easily at all.
The wizard knocked him prone with icy terrain; then the rogue grabbed him, and myself and our shaman took a couple pot shots (we now both have longspears and were able to keep a square away); he had to spend his action point to stand and get out of the grab, at which time our wizard pushed him into a corner and spent an action point of his own to block his escape with flamin pillar. He was stuck and couldn't get away, and we were able to take him down pretty easily. It was the first time I've personally seen things fit together that well, it was great!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads