• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

a quick question

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
I can't remember the spell's name but it allows you to add the caster lvl to the b.a

the sorcerer aplied it to my fighter. now, my b.a is 10/5 so, do I add his caster lvl to both b.a getting a 26/11. or do I have to sitribute it, getting something like 18/13 (I'm not adding my strength modifier as it is only to solve this question that popped up tonight as we were kicking a MBEG)

btw, how do you try to hit an invisible opponent?

Last edited:

Infiniti2000

First Post
What is "b.a"? As an old timer, my first response was Mr. T.

What is MBEG? Does the "M" stand for medium?

With regards to the spell, I don't know. Are you sure the spell isn't Personal, though? Most spells that do things like you suggest are Personal only.
That would be a second question and specifically titled the thread "a quick question", not "two quick questions." So, I can't help you there. :p

Alright, kidding. You can do many things to combat invisible opponents. If you gain a number of abilities, you can pinpoint their square (blindsense, tremorsense, scent, good Listen check, etc.). You can cast glitterdust, faerie fire, see invisibility, true seeing, or invisibility purge. You can gain the Blind-Fight feat which helps offset the 50% miss chance even if you know the correct square the opponent is located within.

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
lol, oki MBEG was indeed for medium bad evil guy

b.a was for base attack

and I think you can apply the spell to an individual

thx about the invisibility :p

Question

First Post
I dont recall seeing such a spell, and if this spell existed it would have to pretty high level, even then it may be overpowered. BAB cant be increased except by some special spells, such as making a cleric have fighter BAB.

Level 20 wiz, cast this on the level 20 fighter, full power attack for free +40 damage.

MarkB

Legend
SorvahrSpahr said:
I can't remember the spell's name but it allows you to add the caster lvl to the b.a

the sorcerer aplied it to my fighter. now, my b.a is 10/5 so, do I add his caster lvl to both b.a getting a 26/11. or do I have to sitribute it, getting something like 18/13 (I'm not adding my strength modifier as it is only to solve this question that popped up tonight as we were kicking a MBEG)
The spell's not familiar to me either, and I have to agree with the others' assessment that, as stated, it could be hideously overpowered.

Choose the square you think it's in (Spot checks can help - see the Invisible description in the PHB glossary - as can special sensory abilities like Scent and Blindsense). Make an attack against the chosen square. If the invisible creature is in that square, and the attack beat its armour class, the attacker has a 50% chance of striking it.

irdeggman

First Post
Technically the BAB is the first number (and only the first number). A character gets iterative attacks when his BAB is +6 or better at a -5 to the BAB.

So if a spell affects the BAB it affects the first number and all of the others are dependent on that number.

Now be careful because a lot of spells state your next attack - which means only the first atack made - not the first is a series.

GorTeX

First Post
BAB is not usually the 1st number, as that number includes any bonuses or penalties you have to hit (str, magic, masterwork weapon, etc).

BAB is only derived from levels. Nothing that I know of increases your BAB except for leveling.

A 5th level fighter has a BAB of 5. Nothing but leveling to 6 (that I know of) will change that to 6.

A spell could add +10000 to hit, and the 5th level fighter would have one attack at 10005 (+any other modifiers), but would not get any iterative attacks as his BAB is still 5. (and he'd still miss on a 1 ;)

A 6th level fighter with the same outrageous spell cast on him would have 2 attacks +10006/+10001 (+other mods he may have..lets assume for now this is a weird figther with a str of 10, no feats like weapon focus and a non-masterwork sword ;)..but his BAB is still 6.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads