A Rather Odd Shovel [Judge: Bront]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Tarag doesn't actually get any AoO's, since he hasn't acted in the initiative yet. =P Sorry!

The cloaked man attempts to dive into cover near Keldar, but it turns out to be a very poor decision. Keldar's knife slices through the cloak, and with a very muffled grunt, the man collapses to the ground.

Fimble... (Somebody take him, please?)

Tarag...

Trouvere

Explorer
"One. More? Flank the door, keep it up all day," Keldar mutters. "Wave something sharp and shiny, when you're not casting," he suggests to the wizards. "Keeps their eyes busy."

Fimble moves from his spot in the corner to near the foot of the stairs, pulling out a tiny dagger, and perhaps looking a trifle skeptical. Keldar grins.[sblock=OOC]I'm figuring that crossbows aren't going to be so useful with -4 for firing into melee and possibly also into or through cover, and that here's not a lot of space for some spellwork, like color spray; so that Fimble, while the situation remains unclear, can best wield a dagger so that, while he still has a hand free for casting, he threatens some squares (from new position B3, notably the central C4, and C3 where Tarag is currently) to potentially provide flanking bonuses from next round. Does that sound reasonable?[/sblock]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=OOC: ]Sounds fine, thanks Trouvere.[/sblock]

Tarag (NPC'd) moves to D3 and readies an action to attack anybody who enters the room.

Round 2

The first foe dropped, you get in position and wait. About 6 seconds pass, and nothing happens.

Keldar...

Last edited:

Trouvere

Explorer
Keldar moves into the corner and tries to look as much like a dusty old box as he can.

OOC: D5, Hide +6; ready to attack with rapier

Boddynock

First Post
"There's something not quite right about that fellow. The cloak is sitting strangely on him. Keldar, you're the closest - what do you see?"

Trouvere

Explorer
"I'm a box," says Keldar. "A box with no name."[sblock=OOC]If a new Spot check is possible, then Keldar's modifier is +3. Otherwise, "trying to spot something you failed to see previously is a move action" and Keldar's actions are used up for this round. Tommy could 5' step into C3 (or C4), use his standard action to examine the man, and his move action to go back into cover. Or I could be talking nonsense, of course.[/sblock]

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: You can't take a 5' step in a round when you take other move actions, can you? Anyway, Tommy has other means...

Tommy pulls out a dagger as well, wrinkling his brow at it. "I hope you know what you're doing, Ke... Nameless Box. I'm not very good with one of these." He peers owlishly at the crumpled body, then pulls out a bit of string and a small stick. He mutters a few quiet words, then speaks to apparently empty air: "Go flip over that body so we can get a good look at him, will you? Then take one of these empty boxes and push it out into that tunnel. If they're going to come at us that way, I'd like some warning. Then return to me. There's a good Servant."

ooc: Unseen Servant. I don't know how many rounds all that will take.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Fimble nods appreciatively as Tommy's servant flips the body and opens the cloak. Behind the cloak is a man with a tight cloth gag. From the corners of his mouth, bloody foam streams. The crossbow, you see, is not actually wielded by the man, but strapped to him and rigged with some kind of clockwork timer attached to the trigger.

The invisible servant moves a box to block the tunnel. About now, you hear somebody try to unlock the cellar door. Thanks to a box's handiwork, the key no longer works. The lock clinks a few times, and then there is silence.

Boddynock

First Post
Tarag utters an oath when he sees the man.

"By Chennet's flaming fingers!

He moves over to the body and checks for any signs of life. If the fellow's not dead, he quickly pronounces a healing orison before removing the gag.

He mutters to himself, "Now who are you, and who in the name of assorted devils has done this to you?"

Assessing the remaining damage done by The Box's blade, he says to the others, "A further mystery. This is some decoy, not a foe come to destroy us. I think I'd better bring him to consciousness, so that we can find out what's going on."

[sblock=Today’s Spells]Spells per day: 5/4+1/3+1

Orisons:
Create Water
Detect Magic
Guidance
Light
Resistance (swapped out for CMinW)

Level 1:
Bane
Bless
Burning hands (Fire domain)
Divine Favor