• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Rose In The Wind: A Saga of the Halmae -- Updated June 19, 2014

Ilex

First Post
18x01

The wind fluttering their clothes was more summer than spring, warm and humid, perhaps running ahead of a storm. It made the mounds of snow and hunks of ice seem especially uncanny. The remains of Kawazu's summoned angel were melting rapidly, and Kawazu himself lay motionless, unconscious. Tavi kept a wary eye on their foe while Savina circled through the group, dispensing healing prayers.

Arden sat against a rock, so light-headed that she felt like she was melting, too. She watched trickles of red trace steadily down her arm, pool around the cuff on her wrist, and drip onto a heap of snow beside her, her life's blood staining the whiteness. She didn't think the slashes she'd suffered were her biggest problem – something in her knee was out of joint, and she'd been hit on the head, she was sure – by the monster – the angel? An angel of Kettenek? An angel of law summoned by a lawbreaker… trying to kill us, of course, because nothing is simple with Kettenek, nothing is black and white with Kettenek—

She broke off the mental blasphemy. Divine justice was, of course, inscrutable, and mortal justice had to do its best. Mortal justice said that if a criminal like Kawazu channeled Kettenek's power to attack them, then they got to fight back. Maybe he enslaved Kettenek's angel to support his crimes… maybe we freed it. Can an angel be enslaved? Her blood was still dripping onto the snow, and she was slipping into a dream, down a long, black tunnel where the snow monster tramped toward the caverns of the underworld... Maybe we sent it home... down... and down... a cold white light at the end of the deep tunnel, growing brighter, the light flashing in the darkness on the angel’s icy limbs, brighter still...

Savina was beside her, murmuring another prayer. Suddenly solid again, her wounds whole, Arden thanked her mistress politely, stood up, and went to see about collecting the scattered horses.

By the time she came back with two stragglers, the group had decided to camp a hundred yards from the roadside. It was only mid-afternoon, but they were exhausted, and they needed to decide what to do with their prisoner. "Do we have the authority to dispense justice here, on the road?" Tavi asked Nyoko.

"Of course," nodded Nyoko. "You are deputized Inquisitors. You were empowered to determine whether there was an Alirrian heresy in Hillside District. Having discovered that there is, and that this man is guilty of it, you are also empowered to deal with it."

"By 'deal with it,'" Tavi pressed, "you mean – "

"Deal with it, conclude the issue, in whatever way you see fit, Inquisitor-san," said Nyoko. "I will point out that the penalty for heresy is, of course, death."

Arden watched as a number of people – Tavi, Mena, Twiggy – cut their eyes toward the unconscious prisoner, clearly worried about what they might have to do. Savina, surprisingly, did not. "He – he must die," she said. "For the Alirrian heresy of aiding and abetting rape – the – the appropriate method is dehydration."

And… that's my mistress, thought Arden, underlining a mental note to never, ever underestimate the Blessed Daughter, despite her apparent sympathy and mercy.

"We must make sure that the Twilight Lady doesn't rule our decisions through vengeance," said Mena.

"It is not vengeance," said Savina. "It's the law. He – he must die." She looked around at the group with wide, sincere eyes.

"You're being disconcerting again," Kormick told her. "I’d feel better about what you just said if you were scowling instead of looking so sweet. Dame Mena, if you would demonstrate the proper alignment of facial muscles…?"

"This is serious, Justicar," said Savina.

"That's why I joke." Kormick paused. "So the question is: do we bring this man back to civilization to face his death, or do we kill him here?"

"If he must die," said Mena, "I would like it to be public and aboveboard, and the Hillside District peasants should be able to see it if they wish. As victims, they deserve to see their enemy pay for his crimes."

"We could let them kill him," said Kormick. "Mob justice is ugly, but effective."

"No, I'm with Mena," Tavi said. "This needs to be impartial, official. The mob can watch, but they can't tear him apart."

"If we return him to Hillside District," said Savina, "I will take responsibility for observing his death and offering the appropriate prayers. I – I know it won't be pleasant, but I really think that's what we have to do."

"If that is what we have to do," said Mena, "I will stand watch with you during his death."

"And I must, too," added Nyoko. "In fact, I will request if there is any chance that you may elect to order his execution, that we rest here and that I have a full night's sleep before we begin, because once his execution is underway I must Witness its entirety."

Arden knew she'd be sitting vigil, too, watching the man die of thirst. She wondered if Savina and Nyoko were prepared for it. Despite everything, they were still so young, so innocent.

Never underestimate your mistress, she reminded herself.

"We should try squeezing him for information, though," said Kormick. "You never know. If he can point us toward the guys who burnt the Temple in Lord's Edge…"

Twiggy spoke up. "We gave his accomplice, Yutaka, an honorable death in exchange for information. A quick death. If he has information, and we can get it . . . Dying of thirst would take a long time. And – and we have other matters to attend to in Cauldron. The prophecy… " She trailed off.

"We can't keep bargaining with heretics," said Savina. "We have to do what the law says."

"With respect, Nyoko-san says we are the law," said Twiggy. "We can do this however we see fit."

"Gentlefolk…" Arden spoke up, deciding that two brushes with death, several men killed, and an angel defeated, all in this one pursuit, had earned her the right to set aside propriety for once. She agreed with Twiggy and Kormick, to the extent that Godsforsaken mortal justice was going to require that they find a stable balance between punishing this man and learning everything he knew about the wider Tide conspiracy. "If I may suggest, perhaps we could bring him back to Cauldron. We could place him in custody there while you investigate what he knows, what his sentence should be, whether you're prepared to negotiate with him, and in what ways."

"With respect, Arden," said Nyoko, "if you were to bring this man to Cauldron it would be a grave insult to yourselves and to the Inquisition. It would be admitting weakness."

Arden wanted to ask "why?", but despite Nyoko's exceptionally polite phrasing, the Adept's tone was both cutting and final. Arden bowed her head and silently accepted the rebuke. The conversation resumed without her.

In the end, as the sun set, the debate about Kawazu’s fate died without clear resolution: they learned that death by torture was not a pleasant dinner topic.

Sometime in the night, Arden heard the bound prisoner begin to groan. He'd returned to consciousness, but he was gagged, so words were impossible. He only groaned.

Arden rolled over and prepared to tune him out, but then she heard the crunching footsteps of Kormick, who was keeping watch. There was a strangled noise in the dark as Kormick, no doubt, gripped the man's throat. "Greetings," the Justicar murmured. "If you fail to keep scrupulously quiet until we allow you the use of your voice, you will discover new and surprising depths of fear and pain."

Kawazu gurgled in assent.

Ilex

First Post
18x02

In the morning, everyone ate and dressed a little self-consciously as Kawazu watched them with darting, fearful eyes. Nyoko borrowed the use of Savina's tent and emerged in full Adept robes, hair, and makeup. The Inquisitors joined the Adept in a circle around their prisoner. Arden, as the Inquisitors' servant, decided that because she couldn't ask questions herself, now would be a perfect time to sharpen her daggers and all the cooking knives. She gathered the blades and the whetstone and settled in to observe. Rose came and sat not far away, stroking Whisper's head and not watching the interrogation directly.

"Well, good morning to you, sunshine," said Mena to Kawazu.

"Be advised," Nyoko said, "that you have been captured and detained by the Inquisition. I stand as Witness to all that occurs here."

Arden scraped her dagger across the whetstone. Zing. Kawazu shot his eyes toward her, and she met them with a cold smile. She was convinced that information was necessary to a good solution, and so she wanted him to talk: to confess, and while he was at it, to babble the names of every Tidesman from here to Lord's Edge.

Zing.

Kormick undid the gag and splashed a little water in the general direction of the prisoner's mouth. Kawazu sputtered. "I'll tell you nothing," he choked out.

"Thank you for informing us so straightforwardly," said Mena. She turned to the group. "If that's all he's going to say, I suppose we must simply proceed with the execution."

"I take it back. We can reach an understanding," said Kawazu.

"My congratulations, sir," answered Kormick. "Even Hans the Squealer never caved that fast."

"You're welcome. I'll make it worth it to you."

"The stakes are so much higher for you than for us," said Twiggy. "What could you possibly offer?"

"Names. Big names."

"Of?"

"High-ranking nobles in Cauldron. Tidesmen, all of them. With big plans. Big plans."

"You can implicate people, of course," said Kormick. "But would it be true?"

"I'm a coward, not a fool. Of course it'd be true."

"Very well," said Twiggy. "Give us the names, and in return we will offer you an honorable death."

Kawazu snorted. "I don't think so. If any part of our deal involves my death, I won't talk."

"If you expect us to be so extraordinarily lenient, then we must first be certain that your information is good," Twiggy asked. "How can we confirm that?" Arden wasn't sure how Twiggy had ended up taking the lead in this conversation, but no one seemed to mind. Twiggy's tone was endearingly similar to the logical, curious tone she used whenever she was probing for some explanation about how the world worked.

"I'll come with you quietly, let you lock me up in Cauldron while you check my story… as long as she Witnesses that you've agreed to spare my life if my information is good." He nodded at Nyoko.

"You'll let us confine you?"

"Yes, fine, whatever it takes. Oh – except you also have to make sure that no Tidesmen are guarding me. I'm not going to go through all this just to have my throat slit by some undercover Tidesman among the Inquisitors who wants to shut me up."

"So," summarized Twiggy, "you agree to tell us everything and remain in custody until we have verified that your information is good, as long as Nyoko-san Witnesses the agreement and we make sure you're protected from the Tidesmen you're betraying."

"Correct."

Twiggy turned to the group. "What do you all think?"

Kormick grabbed Kawazu by the shoulder of his tunic and dragged him over to the treeline, tying him to a tree out of earshot from their deliberations.

"He seems truthful," said Savina thoughtfully. "If he really knows enough for us to save people's lives, and we can hold him while we check that out, then… I think Alirria would want us to save lives more than she'd want us to destroy his."

"Indeed. His talk of the Tide's 'big plans' got my attention," said Mena. "I hate to think what Sedellus might inspire them to unleash if we don't learn what he knows."

"What do you think, Rose?" asked Tavi.

"It's your decision," she said resolutely.

"Then… I guess we take the deal," said Tavi.

Zing. Arden kicked up sparks with the force of her stroke across the whetstone, and Twiggy turned in her direction.

"What do you think, Arden?" Twiggy asked.

"Please you, gentlefolk," Arden answered. "Your prisoner is dictating his own terms. You're giving him everything he asked for. I think we need his information, so we do need to spare his life, but beyond that… he should pay."

"Can we enslave him?" Savina promptly asked Nyoko.

Zing. Arden kept her expression rigidly neutral. Never. Underestimate. Your. Mistress.

"We have no slavery in the Sovereignty," Nyoko reminded them. "Criminals who aren't executed are often branded, however."

"Well, then," said Tavi. "First thing, when we get back to Cauldron, he's branded."

"I'm eager to see your specific brand for 'The craven mid-level boss in a terrorist organization who sold out his comrades," said Kormick.

"We do believe in precise labeling," agreed Nyoko.

"It's a subtle trait of your people's, but being a careful cultural observer, I've noticed it."

Kormick retrieved Kawazu, and Twiggy, still acting as spokesperson, presented their conclusion. Kawazu tried to argue that the brand would identify him to vengeful Tidesman, requiring him to remain perpetually in custody or exile himself to some distant land if he wanted to live, but Twiggy boldly presented the deal as if it were branding or death, and Kawazu gave in.

Nyoko Witnessed their agreement.

Kawazu immediately listed many unfamiliar names and their low-level criminal activities: embezzlement to support the Tide, attempts to intimidate Cauldron's non-traditional worshippers.

"You said big names," Kormick reminded him. "I will know a big name when Lady Nyoko-san's eyebrow moves upward ever so slightly with shock. Notice how, at this moment, she is entirely un-shocked."

"I've saved the best for last," said Kawazu. "The leader of the Tide in Cauldron, the one who approved of the operation in Hillside District, is my aunt. That is, Mother Superior Kawazu Noriko. Head of the Priesthood in the city."

Both Nyoko's eyebrows shot skyward.

Not long afterward, Arden swung onto her horse and followed the rest of the group back to the road and east toward Cauldron. Kawazu – bound, magically disguised, and hooded for secrecy – was flopped across the front of Kormick's saddle. The mood was somber: Kawazu's revelation that the Tide controlled a crucial part of Cauldron's government was unnerving. But Arden was feeling cheerful. With the help of her suggestions and Twiggy's interrogation, they'd stumbled into some kind of mortal justice. Score one for the servants, Arden thought.

Ilex

First Post
18x03

In the city of Cauldron, Tavi led the way into Lord Ono's office. Ono stood up to greet them with the wary stance of a swordsman who expected an ambush. Tavi nodded his head politely. "Lord Ono," he said. "We have solved some of your problems… but perhaps brought you some new ones."

Ono gestured for them to sit. "I hear you've placed a prisoner in my dungeons. Under special guard."

"We have. Justicar Kormick is with him." Kormick had volunteered to keep an eye on Kawazu – and Kawazu's guards – until they could be sure that there were no Tidesmen among them.

"I'm sure I'll regret asking – but who is the prisoner?" asked Ono.

Tavi, with help from Savina and Twiggy, explained the story of Kawazu's arrest for heresy and the subsequent deal they'd made with him. Tavi concluded by saying, "He informs us that the Mother Superior of the Priesthood leads a vast Tide conspiracy here in Cauldron."

Ono's face remained utterly neutral for a moment. Then he bent forward and began to thud his head steadily against his stone desk.

"Lord Ono-san?" asked Savina. "Are you all right?"

He left his head resting on the desktop for a moment. "Just one good night's sleep… just one…" he said, muffled. Then raised his head, rubbing his brow. "I knew there were conspirators. I didn't know how bad it was. This is a matter beyond my authority – I'll need to consult with Lady Akiko-san at once."

Twiggy caught Tavi's eye, and he knew what she was thinking: Lady Akiko-san was Head of the Inquisition for the entire Sovereignty and heir to the Lord High Regent. The party had speculated that the Lord High Regent of the Sovereignty—that mysterious and elderly leader whom few ever saw—might be the dying king mentioned in the prophecy, in which case Lady Akiko would be a useful person to know.

"What do you think she will want you to do?" asked Mena.

"The Priesthood is powerful in Cauldron," answered Ono, "and the only way to begin to deal with this would be to go the long way around the Circle… which is almost unheard-of. So that won't be difficult at all..." He groaned. Tavi waited, but Ono didn't offer additional explanations. Instead, the man shook his head to clear it and changed the subject. "But to your immediate concern. I will assign only trusted men to guard Kawazu. Some do still exist. You have my word – your man will live."

"Thank you," said Tavi. "If I may trouble you with another matter, what's become of my aunt, Mariela di Raprezzi?"

Ono rolled his eyes. "We sent her and her men home," he said. "Not before she gave our diplomats a real challenge. Your aunt is… formidable."

Next to Tavi, Twiggy gave a discreet you're telling me snort. "Lord Ono-san," she said then, "We were also wondering – did your people manage to find that old record for us?"

Ono brightened slightly. "Ah. Yes. Surprisingly… we did." He rooted around at the bottom of a stack of papers. As he pulled a sheet free, the entire stack tumbled over. Ono's brightness vanished instantly; he glared at the stack as if it had personally offended him. Then he looked down at the sheet, frowned, and turned it around as if trying to figure out which way was up. "The scribe who copied this should have been fired. Perhaps you can make sense of it – " He handed the sheet to Nyoko. "Now, if you'll excuse me," he continued, "I must speak to Lady Akiko-san without delay."

"Of course," said Tavi. As he and the others left the room, he thought he heard the dull sound of Ono's head thudding on the desk again.

As soon as they were in the carriage, Twiggy practically pounced on Nyoko. "What does it say? Are there clues to explain the prophecy?"

"It is … odd," said Nyoko. "It appears to be the ravings of a madwoman, nothing more…" She began to read.

The Rantings of Ka’ang Sheh, Convicted Infidel and Murderess

Recorded faithfully by Adept Oruga

Quoth:

“Fools! Fanatics and fools! You’ve no idea what you do! You sign your own death warrant by putting pen to mine. I and mine are all that hold your doom at bay! The agent will come, the agent of destruction. You think the only pieces that matter are the ones in play? The game runs deeper than you know. The agent will come and make the sacrifice, and the sky will open and the seas will boil. The earth, your earth, your precious earth will shake and crack and won’t protect you, no, not then, not ever again! You’ll die, your children will die, their children will die in pain, in fire, in flood, die to dust! Die like the Go’nah-li. Die like the Sheh, who guarded you for generations! The game runs deeper than you know, deeper than you can see when you’re blinded by the rules. There were signs! There were tells! That’s why they had to die, to save the rest of you! To save your fools and your fanatics! Tell them! Tell them all that the agent will come! Mark my words! The agent of destruction will come and bring your death!”
As Nyoko finished reading, Tavi glanced at Rose. She looked paler than usual, but she said nothing. The others talked it over throughout the ride back to the Adept House, but they couldn't settle on an interpretation. The prophecy was not yielding its secrets easily.

At the Adept House, the girls scattered to the baths and Kormick declared his intention to become better acquainted with the city's taverns. Tavi was heading for the baths, himself, when a servant gave him a message: he had a visitor. Tavi followed the messenger to a small parlor where a figure in fine Hennan clothing was pacing. The figure wheeled around as Tavi approached the door. "Finally! What in the Gods' names are you doing here!"

It was Tavi's older brother, Diego.

Tavi stepped cautiously into the room, hand on his sword hilt. He checked the corners for Mariela and the family guard. No one else was there.

"I might ask you the same thing," he told Diego.

"Yeah, but I asked first." Diego had a definite twinkle in his eye, and Tavi dared to relax. Slightly.

"I'm protecting Rose and the family," he said. "In other words, I'm doing exactly what I was raised to do."

"No one doubts your intentions. That's not the point. It's your methods. Sneaking away, coming to this Godsforsaken place – and what are you wearing? Is that some kind of local uniform?" Diego was teasing now, not being genuinely critical, and Tavi shrugged in pretend nonchalance.

"We've joined the Sovereign Inquisition—obviously," he said.

"Obviously."

"A man does what he must."

"Outlandish costumes and all."

"This is how it has to be," said Tavi, returning to seriousness. We're both sorry to have caused the family trouble. But Rose decided it was time to do this, and I support her."

"Well. I know Mother hasn't made it easy on you two."

"How is Mother… ?"

"Apoplectic. She hasn't calmed down since you ran away, and this latest incident with Aunt Mariela… " Diego suppressed a smile. "It wasn't pretty, Tavi. But Father and Grandmother are trying their best to control her."

Tavi was fed up with his mother's fearsome over-protectiveness of Rose, but he respected her, too. He was glad his father was "controlling" her, and he was also sorry that such an esteemed person needed to be "controlled" at all.

He wished she could trust him.

Into the silence, Diego said, "I'm fairly certain I know the answer to this next question, but … will you and Rose come back with me? Please?"

Tavi looked his brother in the eye. "Diego, if I believed it would serve Rose's interests, and our family's, I would. Instantly. But I am coming to believe that, sixteen years ago, Mother opened up a much larger problem than anyone has yet understood. My hope is that what we're doing here is part of solving it."

Diego's eyes searched his own for a moment. Then he nodded. "I hope you're right," he said.

"I'm sure she won't hear it," Tavi said, "but please tell her that I'm acting out of love and duty. I understand that she doesn't like it, but as I said, she raised me to do this."

Diego smiled. "You're right, she won't hear it, but I'll tell her."

"And tell Father… that while it's not what I expected, I am thankful to be facing our fate rather than hiding from it."

Diego nodded. "Well. Give my regards to Rose," he said. "I miss you two, you know. Oh – and apologize to Dame Mena. She's not really fired. That was just Mariela being Mariela."

Tavi smiled. "Thanks, Diego," he said, and held out his hand. "Try to keep a lid on Mother? Get her to give us some space?"

Diego took his hand.

"I'll try. And good luck, brother. You're going to need it."

Ilex

First Post
18x04

On the eve of Ehkt Rising, Arden followed the gentlefolk as they filed back into Lord Ono's office. The man had summoned them for an urgent meeting, but at first, he didn't seem to be present. Then, from the floor behind the desk, came a low moan. Ono was lying on the ground there, eyes closed.

"Lord Ono-san!" Savina raced forward. "Are you hurt?"

"I wish. If I were, maybe I could take a day off."

"Do you have a migraine?" Savina pressed.

"Always."

Savina started to pray for healing, but Ono sat up and brushed her off. "I'm fine, I'm fine. I didn't accept this job because it'd be easy."

"Why did you accept it?" asked Kormick.

"When I remember, I'll let you know." Ono took his place, straight-backed, behind his desk and surveyed them with a more professional air. "I informed my superior, Lady Akiko-san, that the Mother Superior here in Cauldron has been implicated in the Tide conspiracy," he said. "Lady Akiko-san was… not thrilled. But we both agree that the evidence is plausible and an Inquest must be opened into the matter."

"That's good news!" said Savina.

"Wait for it…" muttered Kormick.

"Unfortunately," continued Ono, "because the Priesthood is up the Circle from the Inquisition—meaning that they have authority over us—they can put a stop to any investigation we begin. We cannot exert power directly upon them. As I feared, we must go the long way around the Circle." He had used that phrase before, Arden recalled, but he hadn't yet clarified its meaning. He apparently felt it must be obvious.

"That is an exceptional measure," Nyoko said. Clearly the meaning of the phrase was obvious to her, as well.

"I noticed," said Ono. "Why else do you think my head is pounding? What's worse, Lady Akiko-san and I agree that our best chance of pulling it off successfully is to give the job to our heathen Inquisitors, here. That is, to you all. No one will suspect you of playing so deep a political game until it's too late. We hope."

"All right," Kormick sighed. "I sense a complicated explanation coming about intricate yet scrupulously logical Sovereign governmental structures and procedures. Let's get started. What's the Circle, again?"

Ono looked at Kormick from under lowered brows and muttered, "'What's the Circle,' the man asks. May Kettenek defend us."

"The Circle," Nyoko reminded them, "is the basic structure of Sovereign government. It is a circle of seven divisions, called Rings. Each Ring has a leader, each has a specific set of responsibilities, and each has power over the two Rings 'below' it in the Circle. In this way, no single Ring has total power. Everyone is subject to someone else. The Inquisition is below the Circle from the Priesthood, so the Priesthood can disallow any Inquest it wishes. The Mother Superior of the Priesthood, you may recall, would have intervened to save her nephew Kawazu from you had he reached Cauldron before you captured him."

"And this procedure you keep talking about? Going the long way around the Circle?"

"That," continued Nyoko, "is the only avenue open to a Ring that's in the Inquisition's situation in this case. To exert authority over a Ring that has power over you, you must gain the cooperation of the Rings that have power over them."

“And that is done… how?”

“Traditionally,” Nyoko said, “by gaining the cooperation of the Rings that have power over them.”

Kormick blinked and turned to Twiggy. “Are you following this? Because I’m--”

“Unfortunately,” Lord Ono interrupted, “it’s not quite that simple.”

“No. No, of course it isn’t.” Kormick looked at Nyoko. “Just to be sure, the word ‘simple’ here means the same thing that it does where we come from?”

“Traditionally,” Lord Ono continued, "on the rare occasions when a Ring has successfully gone the Long Way around the Circle, the Head of the other Ring recognizes that they have been outmaneuvered and backs down. In this case, the Mother Superior has much to lose—including potentially her life. If she does not back down, she can still overrule our Inquest of her, at which point we will be forced to exert our power over her, and the entire Circle will bog down into a stalemate.”

“So… how do we stop her?” Savina asked.

"The heads of the four churches here in Cauldron are known as the Synod, a body that came into existence only after the Affirmation. They are an advisory council to the Mother Superior, mostly a figurehead group with very little power. But the Synod can, by unanimous consent, overrule the Mother Superior in her decision to order or end an Inquest. If we can get all four members of the Synod on our side as well, she will not be able to end our Inquest. She will have no further legal recourse, and will be forced to concede when the Rings above her order her to step down.”

Silence met this proclamation.

“I should add that no Synod has ever actually exercised this power. They will probably be... reluctant. So. There’s that."

"Is this a matter of taking a few meetings, then?" asked Tavi.

"It is not," said Ono, "because if the Mother Superior receives even a hint of what we're doing—even the slightest whisper—she will shut us down. For that matter, she could order an Inquest of us. The Inquisition must somehow find ways to meet with these leaders without Mother Kawazu knowing, which is why Lady Akiko-san thinks you heathens are the only ones with a hope of pulling it off. Once you've set up the meetings, then there's only the problem of persuading all those power players to go along with this harebrained and totally unprecedented scheme."

"Let me get this straight," said Kormick. "You're asking us to secretly persuade five of Cauldron's leaders, plus four heads of churches, that their vastly esteemed chief priestess is corrupt and needs to be unseated? Us?"

Ono nodded and then flashed a wry smile. "In your spare time, you might also investigate the Tide itself, in case their next attack is imminent. Recall that I trust very few of my own men with such a job." Ono paused. "You see why I was under my desk."

"I begin to see that, yes." Kormick sounded bemused and beleaguered, and Arden could practically hear the old refrain running in his head: This was supposed to be a quick job… pampered city girl... nice trip to view the countryside… Arden surveyed the room, gauging how the rest of the group was feeling: Tavi glanced at Rose, who shrugged at him, still pointedly refusing to influence the group's choices. Savina looked resolute, as if unaware that there was even a choice to be made. Twiggy was whispering to Mena. Arden caught the words "dying king" and "Akiko-san is his heir" and knew that Twiggy was reminding Mena that a good relationship with Akiko might help them investigate the prophecy's words.

Ono was studying the room, too. Seeing no one leaping for joy at his proposal, he spoke again, softly this time: "If anyone can do this, you can. I know it sounds crazy, but Mother Kawazu would be onto me and my usual men in a heartbeat. Assuming she's truly got something to hide, she'll be watching for us to make a move. But she'd never suspect a group of heathen visitors. You're our best bet for bringing down the Tide in Cauldron."

Arden hadn't forgotten the anger she'd felt a few days ago when she heard that the Tide had massacred the Honored Mother and his Alirrian sisters in Lord's Edge. She had wanted them punished, and now Lord Ono was putting the means for such punishment into their hands. Whatever other priorities she had, whatever other priorities Rose and the others had, stopping the Tide was what they needed to do now.

"We have to stop the Tide," said Savina, and Arden considered how strange it was to hear her mistress, of all people, speak the same idea she had been thinking.

"Any objections?" asked Kormick.

The room was silent.

"Then I guess we're in," Tavi said.

Lord Ono did not look as reassured as Arden might have wished.

They left the House of the Inquisition in the evening. No one spoke much. The unfamiliar yet gigantic challenge Ono had asked of them—going the long way around the Circle—hung ominously before them; even the task of planning their first move was daunting. That said, in a few hours it would be Ehkt Rising: the day set aside for making bold personal resolutions and facing the challenges of the year.

If they were going to face this task, Arden decided, they could hardly find a better time.

###

The festival day—the first day of summer—dawned with overcast skies and a few fitful gusts of wind, but the rain never came. Instead, by midday, the clouds had burned away and sun baked the pavements of the city as they walked to Cauldron's central Temple for the noontime service. They took places in the vast crowd and waited for the Mother Superior—their new and unwitting quarry—to arrive and begin the prayers.

As Temple acolytes began a long procession down the main aisle, bearing torches and singing a strangely solemn hymn, Arden thought back to her resolution on this holiday one year ago. Chained in the bleak muddy depths of an Aegosian mine, her Ehkt Rising resolution had been, in her opinion, eminently bold, clear-cut, and realistic: to drop dead as soon as possible.

That hadn't worked out.

Then again, neither had most of her other Ehkt Rising resolutions, going back years—owners always interfered somehow.

The procession reached the front of the Temple, and a steel-haired woman in elaborate black and white robes swept her arms wide in a gesture of invocation: the Mother Superior—the secret leader of the Tide—had arrived.

She welcomed them all to the services commemorating the day of "Ehkt's Folly," and then she began to preach. As she spoke, Arden was amused to realize that the Sovereign version of the holiday painted the god of summertime and challenge as a reckless and violent troublemaker—a rapist and fratricide, even—who was unable to control his own temper and desires. The sermon was thus a somber Kettenite version of an Ehkt Rising message, exhorting everyone to set aside selfish goals and instead boldly resolve to make the world a more just place…

This hypocrite doesn't have a clue what that really means, Arden thought suddenly. And even if she did… I think I'm done with resolutions. I'm sick of watching them fail. But the deepest, most secret part of herself made a resolution anyway.

And when the summertime sun of Ehkt rose the next day, they began to go the long way around the Circle.

Last edited:

Seonaid

Explorer
How far in advance do you plan, Fajitas? I mean, it's obvious there is a general broad plot, but do you have encounters for two or three sessions plotted at a time usually? Assuming you're willing to answer that in front of your players. ;)

Ilex

First Post
Political skill challenges.

How far ahead does he plan.

Oh.

Oh, he plans. And he didn't call it "skill challenges," exactly....

But I will let him explain when he gets a moment.

Seonaid

Explorer
The game is just so detailed that I have a hard time believing any of it is made up on the fly. It's like a murder mystery, where all the hints are sprinkled throughout, starting on the first page, and only when you've read the conclusion do you see the whole impact (and genius) of the novel.

Fajitas

Hold the Peppers
The game is just so detailed that I have a hard time believing any of it is made up on the fly. It's like a murder mystery, where all the hints are sprinkled throughout, starting on the first page, and only when you've read the conclusion do you see the whole impact (and genius) of the novel.
Yes and no, is pretty much the answer. Obviously, there is the Grand Plan, which has been well worked out since before the campaign started.

From that plan, I broke things down into tiers (of which there will actually only be two in this game--Epic Level play isn't really quite right for the Halmae). From there, I split each tier into halves, and beyond that I sort of broke things down by individual levels.

Well, sort of. That part is kind of an ongoing process. We're now at 8th level, and I have things pretty well mapped out through the end of Heroic. I have a broad idea for how the first half of Paragon will map out, and a vague idea of how the second half will go.

That said, I'm always willing to improvise within my planned structure. For example, the political intrigue set-up that I detailed above was originally intended to be a one-session story.

It ended up covering about 14 games and two levels. More about that shortly.

So, y'know. There's a plan. But it's flexible.

For me, the important thing is to know where we're going. That lets me figure out the steps that I need to take in order to get there, which in turn makes everything feel organic and well planned out.

That said, I'm still trying to figure out what the hell we're actually going to do in this weekend's game.

WisdomLikeSilence

Community Supporter
That said, I'm always willing to improvise within my planned structure. For example, the political intrigue set-up that I detailed above was originally intended to be a one-session story.

It ended up covering about 14 games and two levels. More about that shortly.

Going the long way around the circle was epic. In 25 years of gaming I've never seen a DM attempt anything quite so complicated. We needed an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of everything. It was a heck of a lot of fun, but I'm curious to see how our lovely writers explain it all...

Fajitas

Hold the Peppers
Apologies for the delay, but the story you’re about to hear requires some explanation...

As I think we mentioned, WisdomLikeSilence and I had a baby last year. The plan was that we’d take a little break on the game when the baby was born, and start playing again after a few months.

In order to keep up the story momentum, I planned to run a little PBEM (play-by-e-mail) adventure over those months we were off. Thus, in the last adventure before we broke, I set up a political intrigue story, something that could be done entirely through role-play and some skill challenges—things that work pretty well on-line. I figured we’d play it out over e-mail and pick up the adventuring when we got back.

It was a good plan. Until I failed to get the PBEM going.

Having a newborn baby, it turns out, is kind of a lot of work.

So when we finally came back to play, I had this political intrigue story to pick up. I figured I’d adapt my PBEM into the gameplay for the first session, wrap the political plot up that first night back and then move along.

Ha.

The gameplay for the political intrigue story was based off of something a friend-of-a-friend Will Hindmarch had come up with. The idea was a series of interlocking skill challenges. Completing a challenge provided some benefits toward completing other challenges, but also unlocked new skill challenges that would then unlock further challenges and so on. The goal was to provide lots of things for any character to do, with a wide variety of clever ways to approach any given problem.

The initial idea was that the characters would, in game, be able to deal with the intrigue in a week or two and then move on, but at some point I decided it was ridiculous that this nearly impossible task could be accomplished in so short a time. So I decided that this would be a summer-long task. This readily suggested a structure wherein each player got to take one skill challenge action per in-game week, over the course of 13 weeks.

But that also didn’t seem quite right, because some tasks (like trying to make enough of a social splash to gain an audience with the Head of the Peerage) take time, while other tasks (like actually convincing the Head of Peerage to join your side) are more or less real time. So I split the skill challenges off into Tasks, the normal, time-consuming, one-a-week challenges, and Events, which were more or less instantaneous.

Then I came up with skill challenges.

Lots and lots of skill challenges.

Not every skill challenge was the same. Some were standard X Successes before Y Failures; some were more direct “Accumulate Z points”. Some were physical, some social, some somewhere in between. Some were open to all players; some had to be undertaken only by a specific player. Some characters had character-based bonuses on certain skill challenges. I tried as hard as I could to make them all different, lest this become painfully repetitive.

Whatever the hell I was doing, it rapidly became clear that it needed a name other than “the Skill Challenges”. Something bigger. More ambitious.

It became the Skill Cascade.

Here’s how it worked.

###
Skill Cascade Rules

Each player may make 1 roll for 1 Task once per week.

Relevant Encounter Powers may be used 1/week. If used in a Task, they may not be used in any other encounters that week. At-Will Powers may be used any time. Daily Powers may be used once over the course of the Cascade; they will recharge, however, if you take a week off (i.e. make no roll for the week).

If Combat occurs during the Skill Cascade, you start a combat with all your powers as normal; use of powers in Combat does not affect their usability in the Cascade.

Rose can be used to Aid Another 1/week, OR she can use a scroll to cast a Ritual as her action.

Action Points may be used to either:
Make a second roll on any challenge, OR reroll a roll you don’t like.
You regain your Action Points only if you take a week off.
Use of Action Points in the Skill Cascade has no affect on their usability in combat.

Bennies
Bennies are awarded for use of a skill you are NOT TRAINED in or for a really clever, creative, or awesome Skill Cascade moment. Bennies grant a +2 bonus on ANY skill challenge roll that may be used AFTER the dice are rolled.

Scrolls
As an action, you may scribe 4 scrolls in a week. You must pay the market cost of each.
You may use 1 scroll as your action per week;

Other Modifiers
+2 for creative use of skills
-2 for using the same skill the same way twice in a challenge

###
And, for those who are really curious, the initial open challenges were the following:

Initial Open Challenges
PRIESTHOOD
Arrest the Mother Superior of the Church of Kettenek in the City of Cauldron.

LANDS
Do ??? to meet with the Head of the Ring of Lands

MILITARY
Do ??? to meet with the Head of the Ring of the Military

PEERAGE
Draw the attention of the Head of the Ring of the Peerage by building a reputation as socially meaningful heathen newcomers to Cauldron.

BORDERS
Arrange a meeting with the Head of the Ring of Borders using the recent diplomatic incident with Pol Henna as a pretense.

ADEPTS
Meet with the Head of the Adepts to convince him to support you in your effort to go the Long Way around the Circle.

MEET EHKTIAN COMMUNITY
Build a good reputation with the local Ehktian churches to attempt to secure a meeting with the Head of the Ehktian Church.

MEET ALIRRIAN COMMUNITY
Build a good reputation with the local Alirrian churches to attempt to secure a meeting with the Head of the Alirrian Church.

MEET SEDELLAN COMMUNITY
Build a good reputation with the local Sedellan churches to attempt to secure a meeting with the Head of the Sedellan Church.

LEARN SOVEREIGN CULTURE
Study Sovereign culture with the Adepts to improve your social awareness (grants a bonus to all Sovereign Social Checks)

RESEARCH THE PROPHECY
Take advantage of the Adepts’ Library to try to learn more about the various prophecies you have received

IDENTIFY TIDE INQUISITORS
Identify Tidesmen within the Inquisition.

INFORMATION CHECKS
Gain intel and insight into relevant people and situations (grants a +2 bonus to all dealings with those individuals)

Ladies and Gentlemen… welcome to the Skill Cascade.

Remove ads