A Season of Bones - OOC

A Season of Bones.

RECRUITMENT IS CLOSED.

IC Thread: http://www.enworld.org/forum/playing-game/290694-season-bones.html#post5296641

RG: http://www.enworld.org/forum/rogues-gallery/290693-season-bones-rg.html

[sblock=Intro] Hey folks, I'm looking to DM a 4th edition Dark Sun mini-campaign that will begin at level 3. It'll be heavily focused on combat, with smatterings of in-depth character development.[/sblock]

[sblock=Setting & Premise]This campaign will take place in the Athasian city of Balic. The premise of the campaign will be that a festival has been declared in honor of Balic's dictator Andropinis. The festival is focused on gladiatorial combat. Your characters can be from anywhere covered in the Dark Sun Campaign Setting book. You'll be thrown into combat in teams, pairs, and by yourself, and occasionally, PCs may even be forced to fight each other.

This will be a competitive sort of campaign. There will only be one winner, and only one grand prize will be given. However, you will have to work together in order to have a shot at becoming the champion.

The grand prize will be an audience with King Andropinis. The king will be inclined to grant any moderate level favor, such as a noble title, wealth, a position in his templarship, etc.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Leveling Up] Characters will begin at level 3. Leveling up will occur extremely quickly, and I'll alert the player when it's time.[/sblock]

[sblock=Posting Schedule]I'll be expecting you to post every 1-2 days, especially if your character is currently in combat. If you can't keep up with that consistently, please do not apply. Of course, real life takes priority. If you run into a RL problem, we'll figure out another schedule for you.[/sblock]

[sblock=Application Guidelines and House Rules]If you're interested, please post a character sheet in reply. Most published WoTC material is okay, with material from Dragon Magazine allowed at DM discretion. See below for exceptions. If or when you apply, please post your character sheet and a 2-3 paragraph background detailing your history and reason for joining the tournament.

[sblock=Notes on characters]
Standard, 22 point buy.

No divine classes. Arcane classes are allowed, but be aware of the possibility of being in trouble, should your power source be discovered.

The only disallowed standard races are Deva, Drow, and Gnome. Half-Orcs should be reflavored as Half-Gith instead.

Themes are encouraged, but not necessary.

There will be no magic items. Instead, we'll follow the suggested flat enhancement bonuses from DMG2 and the DSCS. For level 3, you'll have a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls, but not defenses.

You will have limitless access to mundane weapons, implements, and armor, but can carry only a practical amount with you. Thus, you may choose any mundane items from any book.

We will be using fumbling breakage rules. If you roll a natural 1 on an attack roll, your weapon or implement breaks.

Characters with a psionic class or theme may choose a Wild Talent.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

[sblock=On Death & Dying]Some events in the campaign will be to the death. You'll be alerted before you have to compete in one. If your character dies, he will remain dead. This may sound harsh, but this is going to be a mini-campaign, probably spanning a few months. Character death is probably going to happen at some point, and if/when it does, we will instead delve backward into your character's story, giving you plenty of opportunities to continue to play.[/sblock]

[sblock=Arena Rules]
[sblock=Rules: Tyrant's Pyramid]This is a King of The Hill match. The arena is filled by a pyramidal structure, which the combatants must attempt to climb. Whoever holds the top of the pyramid for two whole rounds wins. You are discouraged from killing each other, but "accidents" occasionally happen. This is a free-for-all event, although temporary alliances are encouraged.[/sblock]

[sblock=Rules: Fight to The First Death]You will be grouped into pairs. Two pairs will square off in the arena, battling until ONE combatant is DEAD. The match then ends, and the winning team moves on.[/sblock]

[sblock=Rules: Fight to Last Blood]If you become bloodied, you must drop out or risk severe punishment. You must specifically yield (minor action) in order to drop out. Last team with an unbloodied warrior wins.[/sblock]

[sblock=Rules: The Slaughter]You are on a team. He who gains the most crowd favor gets a bye for the next round of the tournament. The crowd favor system works as follows:

Kill a minion by dealing 1 damage: 1pt.
Kill a minion by dealing 10 damage: 2 pts.
Kill a minion by dealing 20 damage: 3 pts.
etc.

Gain bonus points for cool cinematic moves and using your Action Point.[/sblock]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Plot Synopsis]With the death of King Kalak, the sorcerer-kings were forced to remember that they, though powerful, remain mortal. Dictator Andropinis has called for a month-long festival in his own honor, with displays of valiant combat the order of the day. Wanderers, slaves, templars, and even the occasional Veiled Alliance member lined up to register for the events, each of them contemplating the nature of his reward, should he become champion.
"Independence for my tribe," thought the wanderer.
"Freedom," thought the slave.
"An authoritative rank," thought the templar.
"A clean shot at the king's wicked head," thought the rebel.

Thus began the season of bones.
[/sblock]

[sblock=The Competitors]
Slot 1: Ja'Cart, Thri-Kreen Monk
Slot 2: Jalaan, Tiefling Psion
Slot 3: Muzdum Firebelly, Dwarf Fighter
Slot 4: Daran, Half-Elf Ardent/Battlemind
[/sblock]

[sblock=Most Recent Edit]Added arena rules.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Vertexx69

First Post
Here'smy submission to the arena competition;
[sblock=Ja'Cart, the Thri-Kreen Monk]Ja'Cart
Thri-Kreen Stone Claw Monk
Theme: Gladiator
Level 3
HP: 34 (bloodied 17)

STR 17 (+3)
CON 12 (+1)
DEX 19 (+4)
INT 10
WIS 12 (+1)
CHA 08 (-1)

AC equation: 19 + stat (4) + armor (0) + enhancement (0) + feat (2) + race/class (2) + 1/2 (1)
Fort equation: 15 + stat (3) + armor (0) + enhancement (0) + feat (0) + race/class (1) + 1/2 (1)
Ref equation: 16 + stat (4) + armor (0) + enhancement (0) + feat (0) + race/class (1) + 1/2 (1)
Will equation: 14 + stat (1) + armor (0) + enhancement (0) + feat (0) + race/class (2) + 1/2 (1)

AC: 19
Fort: 15
Ref: 16
Will: 14

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +12, Acrobatics +10, Stealth +10, Thievery +10
UNTRAINED SKILLS
Nature +4

Initiative: +4

Healing surges: 8 (value: 8)

Feats
1. Unarmored Agility
2. Four Armed Flurry

Attack equation: 1/2 (1) + stat (4) + enhancement (1) + feat (0) + misc. (3)
Attack bonus: 9

Damage equation: stat (4) + enh (1) + feat (0)
Damage bonus: damage die + 5

ABILITIES
Monastic Tradition (Stone Fist) - Flurry of Blows, +1 Will.
Unarmed Combatant- +3 Proficiency bonus to hit, 1d8 dmg.
Unarmored Defense - +2 AC in cloth or no armor.
Multiple Arms - Once per turn, you can draw or sheathe a weapon as a free action.
Natural Jumper - A thri-kreen is always considered to have a running start when jumping.
Torpor - Rather than sleep, thri kreen enter a torpid state. In this state, you remain
aware of your surroundings, and you require only 4 hours of torpor (rather than 6 hours
of sleep) to gain the benefit of ~ extended rest.

At-Will
Stone Fist Flurry of Blows - Trigger hit an enemy, deal 8 dmg to same or 10 to another. 1/round.
Dragon's Tail - 1d6+5 and knock prone one enemy. / Swap place with adjacent ally or prone enemy.
5 Storms - 1d8+5, each enemy in burst 1. / Shift 2 squares.

Encounter
Thri-Kreen Claws - +12 to hit 1/2/3 enemies, 1d8+5 +1/2/3
Open the Gate of Battle - 2d10+5, +1d10 if its at full HP
Disrupting Shove - 2d8+5+push2 and enemy and all adjacent enemies to him are slowed TENT
Grasp the Wind - Shift # of square would have been P/P/S
Eternal Mountain - 2d10+5 / Shift 2 squares and gain Resist 5 All TENT

Daily
Masterful Spiral - 3d8+5 force miss/half. Enter Stance that increase reach by 1.

Background: Ja'Cart was an intensely savage brawler before he found his insectoid butt thrown into
the city's arena, as a beast to be slain. To the horrified delight of the crowd, he proved to be
more than a match for the scared slaves and criminals herded onto the sand for entertainment.
The fountains of blood created by this masterful fighting creature, even once drew the attention
of the regent from the raging carnage with which he painted the floor of the colloseum.

The tournament organizers have no idea how such a fearsome "person" could have been so easily captured
but are happy with the coin that he has attracted. They have no idea of the Thri-Kreen's true
motive for allowing himslef to be captured by these showmen, but seem to be steadily losing their
most promising fighters in a variety of matches against "The Stone Claw".

Equipment
None[/sblock]

Last edited:

So far, so good! Don't forget your Disrupting Shove power. I didn't notice it, but you get it as a free bonus for having the gladiator
theme.

I like your backstory, too!

Walking Dad

First Post
Just subscribing and showing interest. Will edit for meatier stuff later.

Edit: I saw already interest in the defender role in another thread. Leaves leader and controller.

You know my leader concept in the other Dark Sun Thread. The end of the background can easily adapted to ending in an arena and not a mine. If he isn't chosen there, it would be my first concept here. Second option would be a warlord.

For Controller I think either of a tiefling or human psion (telepath).

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Jalaan, Tiefling Psion (Telepath)

Jallan always had terrible dreams about dying and eternal. But he realized their was something more as his whole tribe awakened at knight, horribly afraid and confused. His nascent psionic powers allowed him to project his own fears and nightmares into another mind. Maybe this was his way for redemption? Others paid their ticket out of hell through blood, he through seeding despair and madness???

He used used his new-found abilities on their raids. Most were quite successful, but in the last one his powers were blocked and he was subdued by a strange human with white glowing eyes and red hair.

Having no more memories until he arrived in the arena, he found more 'subjects' for paying his blood-dept...

[sblock=sheet]
level 3
Tiefling, Psion
Discipline Focus: Telepathy Focus
Background: Blazestone (Learn Primordial)
Theme: Wilder
Wild Talent: Thought Projection

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 14.

AC: 17 Fort: 13 Reflex: 15 Will: 16
HP: 39 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +10, History +10, Perception +6, Bluff +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +3, Heal +1, Insight +1, Intimidate +4, Nature +1, Religion +5, Stealth +3, Streetwise +4, Thievery +1, Athletics +1

FEATS
Psion: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Unarmored Agility
Level 2: Toughness

POWERS
Psion at-will 1: Mind Thrust
Psion at-will 1: Dishearten
Psion daily 1: Mental Trauma
Psion utility 2: Intellect Fortress
Psion at-will 3: Betrayal

ITEMS
Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
Well, looking here it looks like I missed my chance to be a Barbarian, unless DistractingFlare okays two strikers, but we'll be missing a leader. Hm...

It's perfectly okay to double up on roles. Like I said in my top post, it would be good to see at least some role differentiation, and it would be wise for the party to not just be 4 strikers, it's completely up to you what you submit. I'll pick the most interesting characters who have a combination of compatibility with others, the ability to be functionally dependent when the time comes, and a unique backstory.

Note: I'll be editing in another section to the original post on Death in this campaign. Please check it out.

Copied here for your convenience.

[sblock=On Death & Dying, Plus Arena Rules]Some events in the campaign will be to the death. You'll be alerted before you have to compete in one. If your character dies, he will remain dead. This may sound harsh, but this is going to be a mini-campaign, probably spanning a few months. Character death is probably going to happen at some point, and if/when it does, we will instead delve backward into your character's story, giving you plenty of opportunities to continue to play.

Arena Rules: Before each encounter, you'll be given specific guidelines to follow. For instance, you'll be told how many people will be involved, any unique objectives, and whether the fight is to the death, first blood, or first strike.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads