A Simple Errand (DM:renau1g, Judge: covaithe)

renau1g

First Post
Crag brings down his blade on the creature punishing it for not attacking him.

[sblock=Crag's OA]
vs fort; dgm (1d20 9=24, 1d8 5=13)[/sblock]

Jax digs into his resolve and endurance to find an extra burst of vitality. Still blinded, he backs away from the noise of the sand-dragon and stumbles into a pool of water. He tries to splash some of the water into his eyes to clear his vision, but there's just too much of the gunk to do that quickly.

[sblock=Nature DC15]
More than any other kind of dragon, brown dragons are driven nearly as much by the desire to discover new tastes as by the need to accumulate a hoard. They so love eating that they sometimes take risks in combat merely to “sample” one or more of their foes. Thus, a brown dragon might take a bite instead of making a more tactically advantageous attack for the chance to taste an enemy, especially a creature it has not previously encountered.
Brown dragons prize elf flesh for its succulence and tenderness, and least prefer dwarves, whose tough meat they consider unpalatable unless it is aged

[sblock=Nature DC 20]
A brown dragon’s breath weapon is a blast of supernaturally hot and stinging sand that corrodes flesh and blocks all visibility

[sblock=Nature DC 25]
A brown dragon makes its lair under the sands, in a hollow within a ruin, a cave, or a similar structure. A lair can consist of several such chambers, each one an island of air surrounded by an ocean of smothering sand. A brown dragon doesn’t need tunnels—it can burrow between the rooms of its lair without difficulty.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=Unlocked Monster Stats]
Reflex is higher than 18, but lower than 23
AC is 22[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]
*Feel free to post in any order, but actions will be resolved in initiative order below*

Dragon - Move (stand, takes damage) Frightfall Presence on Crag - vs will (crag) (1d20 7=11) miss. Saves - saves (immobilize, acid, necrotic) (1d20 5=13, 1d20 5=11, 1d20 3=4) saves against immobilize & acid, but still taking necrotic... this is crazy! looking these crappy rolls. rechard (breath, move) (1d6=5, 1d6=5) both recharge.

The blast creates an area of swirling sand that remains in place until the end of the dragon's next turn. Any creature that starts its turn adjacent to the area or that moves through the area takes 5 damage. The area blocks line of sight for all creatures except the dragon.

Initiative:
Finch - 21
Jax - 20 - 12/32, blinded (save ends)
Dragon - 14 - used 1 AP, ongoing 5 necrotic (save ends, -2 against this), grants CA (TENT - CRAG)
Dorn - 9 19/32; total concealment while in Shroud <- you're up
Ingot - 8 - 21/37+4thp -blinded (save ends)
Crag - 5 - 41/56 - Winter's Herald (+2 Fort), blinded (save ends)

init (Jax, Ingot, Crag, Dorn, Finch, dragon) (1d20 5=20, 1d20 0=8, 1d20 1=5, 1d20 8=9, 1d20 5=21, 1d20 7=14)[/sblock]

Last edited:

nerdytenor

First Post
Dorn reaches out his hand once more, but instead of lightning, an enormous blast of raw force explodes around him. (Lightning Strike critical miss. That means everyone within 5 squares of Dorn (all except Ingot) are pushed one square. Dorn sustains his shroud ).

[sblock=Dorn Stat Block]
Dorn, Half-Orc Sorcerer 3
Passive Perception 10, Passive Insight 10
AC 18, Fort 12, Reflex 15, Will 17 (base defenses)
HP 19/32 Bloodied 16 Surge Value 8, Surges 7/7
Speed 6, Initiative +8
Action Points: 1

Current Effects
Wild Soul: Cold (resist 5, ignore 5 enemy resistance)
Dark Shroud

Encounter Resources
Bedeviling Burst
USED Ice Dragon's Teeth
USED Furious Assault
Half-Orc Resilience
Second Wind
Use Action Point

Daily Resources
Ice Javelins
USED Deep Shroud
USED Deathstalker Dagger
Repulsion Leather Armor

1x potion of healing
[/sblock]

Dekana

Explorer
Jax continues thrashing about in the water as he attempts to clear the sand from his eyes.

[sblock=R1, save]If I want to target the dragon for a ranged attack while blinded, will that require a perception check or something similar to locate the right square to attack?

Does Dorn decide where to push everyone?

Also, the saving throw for my turn: Failed, another 4. A rechargeable blind with no attack roll is really annoying, lol.[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=Jax]
This is one of the oddities of 4e. Blindness doesn't require you to make a perception check to find the enemy (in this case it's pretty loud) but it does grant it total concealment, which says you can't see it. I think with the -5 to his that essentially is enough of a penalty. The push... I think so. If you'd rather choose go ahead, I'm sure nt would allow that. [/sblock]

nerdytenor

First Post
// In another game, I interpreted the push as involuntary and thus had no choice where to push people - I just pushed in the direction most closely matching a straight line from Dorn to the affected creature. However, if there is a choice, I'll have Dorn push wherever his allies want to go. :)

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Ingot still blinded, would like to use Armor of Faith on somebody... but has to be within 5 squares. That may make it pretty tough to reach Jax. I guess we'll see after he moves.

Also I just noticed that Avenging Flame does regular damage for its attack. So while the ongoing fire damage is almost certainly worthless, at least Ingot will get one attack for 2W with half damage on a miss. If it can save against blindness one of these times I'll use it.[/sblock]

Kalidrev

First Post
[sblock=Wow] The sucker actually stood up ^_^ I hope that extra 14 damage came in handy! Thanks for rolling on the OA for me R1, I got kinda busy this weekend. How much total damage have we dished out to the Dragon?

Re: Dorn's Push: You can push Crag 1 square N, Dorn. That way he's still next to the dragon. [/sblock]

R1: Crag's HP should be at 36 if I'm not mistaken. Also, he saved vs Blind last round, so he shouldn't be blind since he hasn't gotten blasted by the sand, right?

I don't think anything that I do will upset Ingot's turn, so I'll go ahead and post now since I'm here and have the time :)[/sblock]

After punishing the dragon for attacking his friends, Crag feels a blast of arcane energy hit him like a large mallet. His feet drag against the ground, drawing deep lines in the soft earth. Crag looks over at Dorn and tries to make an irritated face.

"Hey! Watch the friendly fire!"

Jumping back over to his original position, he slams his feet into the ground. A shock-wave overturns rocks and mud and the earth trembles all around Crag. A few of the larger rocks are launched skyward, rotating slightly as they arc over the dragon. Gravity takes over, grasping the small boulders in its iron hand and pulls them to the earth. The dragon is kind enough to place his head in between the solid ground and the rock and is rewarded with a knock on the skull.

"Tell me your name you cowardly snake! I want to know what to put on your tombstone so that everyone can know how pathetic you are for a dragon!"

[sblock=Actions]
- Standard: Roots of Stone vs Dragon's AC. (1d20+9=22, 1d8+5=9) hits exactly on the mark (phew) for 9 damage. This creates a zone in a close burst 1 around Crag. Until the end of Crag's Next turn (EoNT), if the Dragon moves OUT of this zone, he will fall prone and take 5 damage.

- Move: Shift 1 square south (to place me Crag back where he was originally).

- Free: Mark Dragon [/sblock]

Dekana

Explorer
The shockwave from Dorn's miscast spell forces up a wave of water that deposits Jax onto the edge of his pool. The kobold's backpack is knocked loose from his shoulder and some of its contents come spilling out. Jax, still blinded, feels at the ground with his hands and returns the lost items where they belong... all except the potion bottle he comes across. He surely couldn't hit the dragon with a dagger in this condition, so he instead takes a breather and quaffs the healing potion.

[sblock=actions](Dorn's turn): Pushed to S15. Still prone.

Rest of turn: withdraw healing potion and drink it. Spend a surge and gain 10 hp, so Jax is now at 22/32. (The backpack coming loose is just for flavor really.)

Save vs blind: Already rolled in last post. Failed.[/sblock][sblock=Jax stat block]Jax- Male Kobold Rogue 2
Passive Perception: 18, Passive Insight: 17
AC:17, Fort:15, Reflex:18, Will:13 -- Speed:6
HP:22/33, Bloodied:16, Surge Value:8, Surges left:7/9
Initiative +5
Action Points: 0, Second Wind

Conditions
Blinded. (save ends)

Powers
Shifty
Clever Strike
Piercing Strike
Sly Lunge
Sneak in the Attack
Press the Advantage
[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Ok, so it seems pretty impossible for Ingot to get within 5 squares of Jax for healing word or Armor of Faith. Ingot could possibly use Armor of Faith on itself... or maybe just take total defense.

Well, I'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow. If anyone else has an idea for Armor of Faith, speak up! (I'm starting to hate that power, it's just so hard to decide who gets it and for what defense... too much guesswork.)[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
Just need Ingot's and FInch's actions.

Oh, ryry, I'm sure you saw the post in General Discussion about Righteous Brand. The bonus provided will drop from +4 to +3 once this combat's over. Sorry.... one of the only things going for melee clerics...[/sblock]

Remove ads