• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A simple fix to balance fighters vs. casters ?

Dandu

First Post
1. Dimension Door is a good spell for tactical mobility.
2. A very old red dragon has Int 16. A basic defensive tactic in case people charge it is not out of character. A dragon does not get to be old by being stupid.
3. Given that dragons get involved in melee combat a lot, I fail to see why an experienced dragon would not have some sort of defense against surprise.
4. What book are dimensionally anchoring boots from and what do they do?

Dandu

First Post
Now, this is how I am going to do it. There are many ways to kill a dragon, but James Solomon Ozymandias is going for the most outrageous.

I walk into his lair Shapechanged into a Minotaur, flip him off with both hands, insult his mother, conceding both initiative and the surprise round to him.

CrazyNinja, you have the stats for a dragon on the SRD here, and you have spells for a level 13 sorcerer. The next move is yours.

Last edited:

CrazyNinjabeast

First Post
magic item compendium, I though he was using the door to warp me, they anchor me to my current plane.

Regardless, using that spell consumes a whole turn, I could simply charge him next with the same bonuses

Dandu

First Post
magic item compendium, I though he was using the door to warp me, they anchor me to my current plane.
... No, it's to distance himself from you.
Regardless, using that spell consumes a whole turn, I could simply charge him next with the same bonuses
Despite the fact that he will a) be a long distance away and b) in another chamber if we're fighting in close quarters?

CrazyNinjabeast

First Post
if he runs, I'll loot and leave, if not, i'd chase and charge, lather rinse repeat, enough with the contingencies, yes he could do numerous things, but with ample planning i could avoid all of them to achieve the same result, a dead dragon

Dandu

First Post
Except - and here's the thing - if it becomes a protected battle, you now fighting an alert dragon in his own base. Want to give me the odds on that?

Also, you seemed to have missed this from earlier.
Now, this is how I am going to do it. There are many ways to kill a dragon, but James Solomon Ozymandias is going for the most outrageous.

I walk into his lair Shapechanged into a Minotaur, flip him off with both hands, insult his mother, conceding both initiative and the surprise round to him.

CrazyNinja, you have the stats for a dragon on the SRD here, and you have spells for a level 13 sorcerer. The next move is yours.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads