D&D 5E A simple solution to 'easy mode D&D' and the 6-8 combats problem

Many good points have already been made about how to make a combat more interesting. I like using a mix of enemies with varied abilities. For example, I ran an encounter with an Ice Maiden (Tome of Beasts), her Mammoth mount, and her pet Winter Wolf. The encounter started off on a calm note with the Ice Maiden chatting with the players before she charmed the gnome wizard and a round later blinded the rest of the party with a snowy blast. A blind party rolling with disadvantage added a layer of anxiety they hadn't experienced before - which was compounded by the fact that the cleric had just cast a Silence spell the previous round! The blinded half-orc paladin at one point, hearing no more enemies, role-played that he felt the fight was over and did nothing on his turn! The mammoth then destroyed the sorcerer (who immediately reincarnated as a dragonborn due to Wild Magic), but ultimately the characters prevailed. The combat had some real flavor that I could not even predict.

Another mixed-monster scenario is to introduce a third side who is attacking everyone. PCs are fighting against some bullywugs when a bunch of undead rise from the bog and attack anything close to them.

Throwing enemy spellcasters - perhaps with flavorful spells you as the DM have picked - into the mix always changes the playing field as well.

I think there are plenty of creative solutions that you can employ as the DM to keep combat fresh, challenging, and meaningful.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The proposed solution will just make combats last longer. Which, if that's your thing, fine. But for me, that would be the opposite of what I want. I don't want combats to drag on. They become repetitive, everyone already knows the outcome, and you're just grinding foes down to get there.

Maybe this is a place to Yoink the Escalation die from 13th Age. PC math starts out at a small penalty (say the equivalent of -1 to all attacks/DCs), but starting at the beginnign of the second round, the escalation die starts at 1 (and ticks up each round 'til it reaches 6), granting a bonus to hit for the PCs only.

This both discourages first round novas, or at least makes it more thought provoking - do you go for when you have likely the best positioning but worst chance to hit, or some other balance point. But it also means that combats don't turn into grinds, once you hit 3rd or 4th round you can finish up quickly if you are in the position to do so.

Why not instead, when the setting is appropriate (like a dungeon) change the rules like this: All rests (short or long) require two combats since the last rest (short or long) prior to the rest functioning. Additionally, long rests require two short rests prior to the long rest functioning.

The reason why the 13th Age solution suggested it self for the first part is because your second part is very close to a 5e version of how they do it. 13th Age has at-will, once per encounter, and once per long-heal-up, which is 4 challenging encounters. Doesn't matter if it's the fourth encounter before lunch in a dungeon, or the fourth encounter at the end of a three week trek across a savanna.

(The DM is suggested making it a bit sooner for really tough encounters, and players can decide the characters will take one early - at the cost of a campaign setback.)

smbakeresq

Explorer
The proposed solution will just make combats last longer. Which, if that's your thing, fine. But for me, that would be the opposite of what I want. I don't want combats to drag on. They become repetitive, everyone already knows the outcome, and you're just grinding foes down to get there.

Why not instead, when the setting is appropriate (like a dungeon) change the rules like this: All rests (short or long) require two combats since the last rest (short or long) prior to the rest functioning. Additionally, long rests require two short rests prior to the long rest functioning.

That's the issue. You don't want combats to drag on, but you do want the PC to expend resources. You want combats to explode, I have always liked the idea of escalation dice from another game. 5e has lowered AC (to get players to hit and get hit more) but upped HP (to balance low AC) causing some combats to drag.

You can combine 2 "encounters" with each other, the collapsing stairwell into the Umber Hulk pit or just the PC finishing with one group right before reinforcements arrive. IF the DM does that a few times, PC will try to end combats faster instead of grinding enemies down knowing they have healing coming soon.

I have been wondering if a better idea would be the healing surge idea from 4e but using 5e mechanics. Allow PC to spend those healing dice to heal HP during a 5-10 minute rest but not get short rest or long rest abilities back. You would be able to get your HP back but not all of your abilities, allowing you to press on. This has a side effect of making Durable a better feat and Healing Kit and Healer feat a little more valuable, and Inspiring leader also, as it would extend your HP. When a group is low on HP and resources they will stop or retreat, if they could get some HP back then they generally will press on even with some resources depleted.

Syntallah

First Post
snip

I have been wondering if a better idea would be the healing surge idea from 4e but using 5e mechanics. Allow PC to spend those healing dice to heal HP during a 5-10 minute rest but not get short rest or long rest abilities back. You would be able to get your HP back but not all of your abilities, allowing you to press on. This has a side effect of making Durable a better feat and Healing Kit and Healer feat a little more valuable, and Inspiring leader also, as it would extend your HP. When a group is low on HP and resources they will stop or retreat, if they could get some HP back then they generally will press on even with some resources depleted.

Some time ago, I created an Action called:

Refresh. As an action, you may spend one Healing Die per point of Constitution modifier. You must take the result of the roll. You may not use this action if you are out of Healing Dice.

It has worked out quite well. The individual PC is now in more control of their healing.

Remove ads