A Sojourn in Sairundan [Judge: Manzanita]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
When Conuld's thunder roars, everybody in the gang of fleeing children jumps. Most of them stare at Conuld in awe, Jonda alone seems unimpressed. And Samsa looks absolutely petrified.
Conuld said:
(in Sylvan) "
This is nothing to do with me. I do not approve
."
Jilsa cocks her head and nods slowly before responding, "
I... I thought these were all your ways... but I think I understand. Thank you
."

When Cludge comes out, there is more confusion than fear in the ranks. (Though Samsa looks like he might wet himself.) The boys whisper amongst each other while Jilsa stands silently by and Jilna presses against Jonka.

The once-bandit-children now speak amongst each other at a normal volume. Jonda seems to emerge as a leader. Samsa barely says a word, his face is white. After a few minutes of debate, they seem to come to an agreement. Jonda tells Jilsa something, and she turns to Lasair, Kurgahz, and Shadya. "
Lasair my friend, you must understand that we are renegades from our tribe. We do not all share the same views, other than a general dissent with the way the River Folk treat their own people. I, for one, do not wish to be seen as... vhalless in your eyes, so I will except the punishment. I think Jonda and Jonka will, too, for other reasons. But the rest, they have... a different concept of honor, and I do not blame them for it
."

She takes a breath, choosing her next words carefully. "
As for... tal zij... I would gladly serve you for a year and a day. You seem a powerful group of individuals, with ideas and personalities exactly like I hoped to find outside of the fens. But I am honor bound to stay with Jilna, especially now that she is with child. Jonda and Jonka, obviously, must stay by her side as well. And the others, they have no desire to repay their debt to you in such a way, if given the choice. They are appreciative of your mercy, no doubt, but they will choose the easy way out. I do not agree, but we cannot always agree, and if I learned anything from my tribe, it is that we cannot force people to agree with us. I think they have learned their lesson. Even Samsa. So please, Lasair, allow me to repay my zij to you and Kurgahz with the beating. Jonda and Jonka will do so as well
."

Jilsa nods to Kurahz. He clubs her, and she remains standing. Jilna moves forward, despite the protests of Jonka. Jonda holds his spirit-brother back, and Jilsa nods. Kurgahz hits her in the legs, and she staggers, but remains standing. Jonka comes forward and is knocked out cold. Jonda is last, and he also collapses under Kurgahz's club. Our friendly neighborhood half-orc then stomps off to the tavern. The girls rush to the sides of their fallen companions, and the other boys look at the fallen Jonka and Jonda with respect in their eyes. (Except Samsa, he's staring at the inn with a look of horror.)

Jilsa, kneeling at Jonda's side, turns her gaze now to Lasair and asks, "
Is our zij now repaid?
"

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=Cludge]Conuld smiles to himself, resigned to the fact that even should he become an archmage with the power to tear gates between the planes, still will he be known as Connie. He taps the beer mugs and watches as condensation beads on them as they chill.
"I am surprised more people do not study wizardry. Set aside lightning bolts. Being able to keep beer cold is sufficient reward for the effort." He drinks, though he hopes Cludge has no way to know that his own now tastes of apple juice.
"Lasair is proud and she is much further from home than we are. Perhaps she has nothing to hold onto but her traditions, or they are so important to her that they cannot be bent even slightly. What you said about the honour of granting mercy is true. You said what I did not manage to say in twenty times as many words, and I think Lasair did hear you. My points tend to get lost in digressions and hypotheticals as I try to cover every objection before it is made. You sell yourself short, Cludge. Mother Slatefist would be proud."[/sblock]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=Conuld and Cludge, in the inn: ]The innkeeper is a skinny, dark skinned man. His skin is weathered and leathery. He greeted Cludge heartily when he came in the first time. Conuld then entered, distracted, and the innkeep looked confused as they both left. Then they returned together a few moments later, and he greeted them again. "Good day, travelers! Trouble outside? Well, take it off your minds. Have a beer, first one's on the house. I take it you'll be staying the night? You won't make it to Antreil by the end of the day."[/sblock]
[sblock=Conuld, Cludge and Kurgahz, in the inn: ]Then Kurgahz throws the door open and sits down, fuming. The innkeeper literally jumps. He stutters, "He- Hell- Hello. Good sir. First beer's on the house." He fills an extra-large mug to the brim for Kurgahz.[/sblock]

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Ah the troubles of progressing all at once in a big update!)

[SBLOCK=Sylvan]"That will satisfy your zij to Kurghaz. I am not so violent--I would prefer you serve as tal zij until we reach the edge of the desert. But I will work you hard. That is out of my respect for you. The greater the penance for the zij, then the greater the vhal of she who performs the penance, do you see? Tell the other four to go. I will give them two platinum, which is twenty gold, to help them on their way, but if they can't understand their culpability, I want them out of my sight."[/SBLOCK]

*Lasair also looks horrified after the first giant club blow to Jilsa and crosses her arms in an attempt to stop it.*

"Light above, I meant a whipping not a...! Well, it isn't your fault. Thank you for trying your best Kurghaz. I do appreciate it and I am honoured that you chose to do so. I'm going to guess that the trauma from watching that fulfilled the zij of the other three as well. Go and have your drink--it is on me, brave half-orc."

(OOC: Let me know if she does not succeed in stopping the further clubbings)

Last edited:

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=Conuld, Cludge, then Kurgahz: ]"Thank you, sir," says Conuld to the innkeeper. "It is always somewhat awkward when the first drink is on the house, since I would usually partake only of the one, and feel compelled to drink overmuch to make up for the owner's generosity. Will you then bring me something to eat, perhaps bread, cheese, whatever vegetable you have? Feel free to charge me several pennies too much for it. Ah... I think perhaps we will be staying the night. Tell me, do you know the man in the orange floppy hat who travels this road? We met him on the way."[/sblock]OOC: did you folks get the message that Solange will be away until Tuesday?

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: I saw it elsewhere but forgot about it as it applies here. I guess that means we aren't waiting on anyone else to continue but the NPCs, for now)

"It seems that four of them will be leaving after all, as they have no vhal. I think that Jilsa, Jilna, Jonka, and Jonda shall stay and serve temporary tal zij until the desert's edge," Lasair tells Shadya, since the others are drinking, though she waits for a response from Jilsa before confirming.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: I figured it was up to both of you, since it required both Kurghaz's decision and a GM call to allow an intervention within the previous post ;) Does Jilsa have any comment on Lasair's further clarification?)

Phoenix8008

First Post
Kurgahz, Male Half-Orc Clr 1 (HP:10/10, AC: 14)

Kurgahz begins delivering his blows to the four volunteers until Lasair steps up to stop him. "What the frak?! This was your idea, girl! I ain't got no whip ya know. Beside's, I'm not doin' 'em any great harm. They'll be right as rain again in a few hours. If ya don't like it, then next time somebody don't agree with your way of doin' stuff maybe you'll leave well enough alone. Till then, stand back and let me finish what YOU started!"

He completes his unwanted task and starts to head towards the Inn, but stops and turns to the two girls taking care of the unconscious men and says quietly "I'm done with all of ya now, but know this and tell the guys when they come around- You four earned my respect just now." Turning his face up towards the other four, he finishes "You four though, better never cross my path again unless you're ready ta take today's thumping for real... with added interest for time gone by..."

With that done, the Half-Orc finally stomps off to the Inn and walks in to grab his free drink. Seeing the unapproving looks from Conuld and Cludge, he decides to take a seat in a corner away from them where he can get some peace finally.

Last edited:

AGFlynn

First Post
Cludge Slatefist, Fighter 2 (HP:20 AC:15)

Cludge Slatefist, at yer service, the dwarf says, licking his lips and taking an enormous draw on his ice-cold pint, leaving about an inch at the bottom of his mug. There's a loud rumble from below the bartop, followed by a long and reverberating belch of satisfaction. Innkeep, I do believe that was the finest human ale I've evar enjoyed. D'ye mind settin' me up with another one? He looks sideways at Conuld's mug. There's a funny smell comin' from my friend's, though. I'd just as rather not have any frum that keg, if ya please

(OOC to Phoenix: No disapproving looks from this quarter. Cludge understands why Kurghaz did what he did and shows no ill will at all.)

Last edited:

Remove ads