• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A sorcerer idea: what would be the damage?

DreamChaser

Explorer
What would be the net effect if the number of spells known for a sorcerer was a set number gained at each level up that could be chosen from any spell level (not counting cantrips--they would be handled separately)?

So when a sorcerer went up a level, she would gain a set number of new spells, which could be of any level that she could cast. The number of spells per day would not change and would still be divided into levels but they would have more freedom to choose spells of whatever levels they wanted. This would mostly end up with downgrading but some upgrading might also happen.

What do you think? Am I smoking crack?

DC

Dispater

Explorer
Well, sorcerers would then be able to choose more powerful spell, widening the pretty narrow options they have. They obviously wont choose a low level spell over a better high level spell, so yes, it would make sorcerors more powerful. Balanced? I don't care any more for balance, so I am perhaps the wrong person to comment.

Jeph

Explorer
Make it a rule that they must know at least as many spells of a level as they do one level higher. That way I don't think it will be as much of a problem.

How many spells would they know? I'm thinking 5 at 1st level, then 1 extra at every odd level and 2 extra at every even one.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Have you noticed that at present the Sorcerer spell progression quickly evens out at "gain a spell of your highest level" alternating with "gain spells at three spell levels". I suppose it could be described as a break through to a new spell level is followed by consolidation amongst known spell levels at the next class level.

Just pointing out that your proposal for an equal number of new spells would be different to this

DreamChaser

Explorer
the progression i'm thinking about would look something like this:
this includes cantrips and Jeph's idea about needing to know at least as many lower level as higher level.

1=5
2=6
3=7
4=9
5=11
6=12
7=15
8=16
9=19
10=20
11=23
12=24
13=27
14=28
15=31
16=32
17=35
18=36
19=39
20=40

this is actually fewer spells than a sorcerer would actually know. on top of this, I was going to allow them to use spell chains. if they learn a spell that is a part of a spell chain (like Summon Monster) they can cast any spell of that chain by using the proper level's slot.

Comments?
DC

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads