A throwing about of ideas

Isilorn

First Post
Hello! I am completely new to this place, and therefore I am sorry if this is in the wrong place. I just got the impression that this was the right forum for suggesting ideas for games, so I thought I would give it a shot:)

Before I start blabbering on about ideas that have lurked in the back of my head for some time, I thought I should ask a vital question:

If I started a game that is not based on these systems mentioned everywhere, would there be some 5-6 persons of the total 100 000 members that might find it interesting? Of course it depends on the general plot, but I just thought that as system seems important it is best to ask first.

You see, the last time I played a rp, it was done like this: A GM would put out there the vital basic information, some maps perhaps and then start the game with a rather long post more or less introducing the characters to the plot and then we would start the typical posting of reactions and moving about. Wether I managed to kill the evil witch or not would be up to the GM who had the general plot and potential outcomes in front of him and decided what would bring us all towards our goal. He would also have a character himself(actually, herself) to rather make sure the whole thing whent in the right direction and perhaps even settle potential disputes.(a bunch of hormonal teens writhing about slaughtering Death Eaters/Orcs? Why would they need any peace keeper??)

I do intend to learn about these systems, but as I have not played/written in a rp for six years, I am SO eager to just start doing it again. All my last three games died. One of them only two postings from the goal, another all too soon after take off, with months of careful planning behind.(GM lost internet access.) I love to write, I love to exchange ideas and as these forums seems rather active, I might even be able to post twice a week, I imagine.

That's a tad more than a question, really, but if you bothered to read through all the way to these words, I thank you and hope to get some positive anwers.: ) I also pardon my grammar, it's a quarter to four in the morning, here and waay past my bedtime. My oxford is also not in my bed with me so I hope to be forgiven for the potential mistakes!

-"the Newbie"

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Well welcome to EnWorld Isilorn. :)

I would XP you a hello but I am at my 24 hour limit (sorry :().

Now to answer your question was there a question in there? Can't remember. :p The people about here are mostly about the system of the game. It is like 90% of the reason they will choose one game thread over the other. ;)

So if you are suggesting a game where the DM has total control :confused: and all the info and you need only play the character it may not take off to greatly. :-S But as you said there are at least 1,000+ people on at any given time here so finding 5 or 6 should be a piece of cake. B-)

So if you find your 5-6 RPer's then what. How would a typical combat encounter go? :erm:

Player1: I step up to attack the ogre my sword coming in low and fast at it's knees.

Player2: I cast a spell to damage the beast as well.

DM: With sword and spell you both successful kill the ogre bandit that has been plaguing the village.

Not sure if the above would be what you are talking about truly, but then it would work for those whom wish to adventure and RP. Actually I like it. :hmm:

A game without dice sheets and such. I just describe what I am doing or going to do and the out come is... secondary to the actual play. Maybe that's not right but I hope close. :heh:

But I digress :blush: and it is near my new bedtime as well. :yawn:

If you wish to start a game you would attract a lot of players if you had a system. The RP and writing will come as almost everyone here is a great poster. :cool: Just check out a few of these games to see. :D

http://www.enworld.org/forum/playin...ing-sky-campaign-saga-scouring-gate-pass.html

http://www.enworld.org/forum/playing-game/265147-pathfinder-ic-hall-dwarven-lord.html

http://www.enworld.org/forum/playing-game/270725-dr-sis-curse-crimson-throne-beta-group-ii.html

Again welcome :lol: Hope to help you along with this if you will have me.

HM

[sblock=P.S.] Sorry for all the smiles I am tired and shouldn't post in this state, :angel:[/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
Welcome Isilorn. Most players here about prefer to have a rules set that they are familiar with for any RPGs that they might participate in. A lot of us have been roleplaying for decades, and while we may have our preferred systems, we are familiar with many systems, and willing to give new ones a shot.

It sounds like you are talking about a game without a concrete rule set, perhaps? There have been games like that played here before, but they tend not to last too long. Could you maybe flesh out your idea a bit more, so I have a better idea on what you would like to accomplish?

Isilorn

First Post
Thanks for the replys!
Um, right. HolyMan's combat example is mainly what I would use and any player would be expected to write a piece where they do a lot of things, stab and cut into the orcs and fy their brains with awesome magic work. Of course, the GM would describe the outcome, so the player only writes what he/she does with one (if there are several) orc or whatever, and then moves on to the next object of interest to attack again. The GM then "sums up" the battle writing in the potential deaths and damage to both sides. So basically, same thing as you gave as example.

I've gone through some of the games here: Leif's homebrew, Key to victory, saga of the dragon cult, Gotham Squires and Dawn of defiance. My thoughs are that I will require more written work and the lack of the dices. Certainly I could introduce dices in a game if wanted, though I would have to do so after reading up on their use and also include myself in a game using them.

I think The best thing would be for me to plan a game, then run a testround, a sort of prequel to the game I plan, and just do a scene my self where I am three players just to demonstrate how I'd want the game to be 'done'.

I would also post the general rules, so players won't be writing about in the dark.

Isilorn

First Post
ops! I did not check the links you posted, HolyMan, it seems you gave me perfect examples to have a look at! I find the War of the Burning Sky - style to be somewhat the deal I had in mind.
(Did you make the maps and illustrations?)

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
NO, no, not me LOL

My map making skills are on a scale of 0-10 somewhere around 0.5 :p

The maps and such come with the War of the Burning Sky game. Which you can download free if you become a Community Supporter.

Most everyone who runs a game here does what I do in the WotBS game. Let everyone go than recap the round. Then everyone goes again. And repeat.

Now if you are looking to get into an RPG and want a rules set I suggest Pathfinder(PF) as you will

a) only need the CORE rulebook to start and everyone here will help you learn.

b) There are a lot of PF games and players looking for a PF game.

c) And if you want you could join the Living World(LPF) and adventure in it to learn the system at your own pace. See most games take years to play in pbp but we have been completing most LPF games in about three months. This way if real life leaves you no time to play you can take time off and then can come back and pick up your character again and not miss much at all.

If I find the time... because right now I am playing in 11 games and DMing 9 (and about to start 4 more games) I will help with your prequel. :D

HM

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
A combination really. Like the game I'm about to end only had three encounters. An animated table, some giant ants, and a group of Mites. But all and all a good game. here...

http://www.enworld.org/forum/playing-game/299259-lpf-one-night-palazzo-dannato.html

Started Jan 8th and about to be wrapped up this weekend. Short and sweet and worth about 800xp not bad.

That's something else Isilorn how will you handle character advancement without a system. Most of the fun of RPG's is seeing your little character advance into a Mighty Warrior or Fearsome Wizard.

HM

Isilorn

First Post
Well, I can see the character development issue and you who are drilled in RPing would find a lack of a central system rather... I don't know, weird?
I think I will join a game and read some systems to get the big picture. Are there any immediate problems regarding me making a system myself? Like just basing it on an existing one and then add and remove to make it fit my plans?
I admit, I have never played a rpg in a room with my friends, we tried a Norwegian one called Draug, but got nowhere really as we all had NO clue as to what we where to do, if we where supposed to write down the action or maybe dictate it out loud. And I lacked the dices, the eternal Isilorn problem: ) Sort of a pity, actually as that game seemed quite interesting and culturally appropriate.. But I'll get to do it at some point.

Now, are there any games ready for me to potentially join? Some being planned that gives me some time to prepare? Now I am being silly, I am perfectly capable of looking for my self :rolleyes: :) (though tips are always welcome!)

(PS. What's the deal with the Experience points people receive and award? What are they for and how does it work? I could look it up in the FAQ, but you people seem so nice, I'd rather ask you!)

Remove ads