A throwing about of ideas

Rhun

First Post
Well, I can see the character development issue and you who are drilled in RPing would find a lack of a central system rather... I don't know, weird?

My personal opinion is that without a central rules system, you're probably not going to find a whole lot of players. I myself would be interested, if only to try something new. But it certainly is outside of the way I am used to doing roleplaying games. It sounds almost more like writing a cooperative story.

FYI...there is a game system called Amber, which is a diceless roleplaying game. I've never looked into it, but you may want to check it out if the dice thing bothers you.

I think I will join a game and read some systems to get the big picture. Are there any immediate problems regarding me making a system myself? Like just basing it on an existing one and then add and remove to make it fit my plans?

You could absolutely make your own system. The majority of us that use a dedicated rules system generally have many "house rules" and often play in our own "homebrew" world settings anyway.

I admit, I have never played a rpg in a room with my friends, we tried a Norwegian one called Draug, but got nowhere really as we all had NO clue as to what we where to do, if we where supposed to write down the action or maybe dictate it out loud. And I lacked the dices, the eternal Isilorn problem: ) Sort of a pity, actually as that game seemed quite interesting and culturally appropriate.. But I'll get to do it at some point.

You're missing out. It can be a lot of fun to sit around with your pals roleplaying and tossing back a few beers. Kinda like a poker night, but more fun. :)

(PS. What's the deal with the Experience points people receive and award? What are they for and how does it work? I could look it up in the FAQ, but you people seem so nice, I'd rather ask you!)

There really aren't any rules governing it. It is just a feature of the forums. If you don't like it, you can even turn it off. But it is kinda like giving someone a pat on the back for doing a good job. Feel free to spread the love!

Isilorn

First Post
Thanks for the informative reply! I feel enabled to a certain level, now and sorta ready to find a game! I've started some research on systems. I am currently on FUDGE, wich the Norw. game Draug is based on. Taking it from there;)

I do have a system of sorts that we previously used and i thought of using. But I do think it's best to have something most people are at least slightly acquainted with to begin with.

Thank you all for good help! I'll get to work on my reading:)

Dr Simon

Explorer
I think if you have an interesting idea for the game you may find players. A while back I started a light-hearted game inspired by 1930s pulp sci-fi, using a simplistic system that I knocked up (loosely inspired by FUDGE). There were plenty of players interested (and you ultimately only need 3-5, ideally). It didn't last, but that was my fault, trying to run too many games at once.

On Amber, there is still a formalised system for quantifying the relative abilities of the characters, in this case four simple attributes bought in an "auction". If you have the higher attribute, you win a fair contest (eg wrestling for Strength, anything from a game of chess to a swordfight for Warfare, etc.). No player should know exactly how they compare with the others. However, the crux is in making sure no contest is fair! Points used for buying attributes can also be used for specific abilities too, such as spellcasting, a unique item, a horde of minions, etc.

So, even though the outcome is gamesmaster-determined, there is still an underlying formal system, and I think you'd at least need some way to determine what it means if the player determines that their character is "good" at something.

Rhun

First Post
I think if you have an interesting idea for the game you may find players. A while back I started a light-hearted game inspired by 1930s pulp sci-fi, using a simplistic system that I knocked up (loosely inspired by FUDGE). There were plenty of players interested (and you ultimately only need 3-5, ideally). It didn't last, but that was my fault, trying to run too many games at once.

Also, something to keep in mind...as far as PBP games go, it seems that the fewer players you have, the faster the pace of the game is. If you want to run something fast paced, I'd certainly shoot for 3 or 4 players.

So, even though the outcome is gamesmaster-determined, there is still an underlying formal system, and I think you'd at least need some way to determine what it means if the player determines that their character is "good" at something.

I agree with Dr. Simon. There has to be some way of measuring who is good at what, and how they compare to each other and the challenges they may face.

Isilorn

First Post
Well, after having read some simple wikipedia about some systems, I personally find the FUDGE to be simple and perhaps the system I'll chose for my first game as GM. But I'll definitly try some games that utilize systems like the d20, as there'll be someone there to correct my mistakes:)
I found the fudge to be simple and allrigt as the skills are graded and the dices either lift your ability to a higher level or a lower one, and if it's higher than that of the opponent you will achieve reults, and if you don't, the opponent will. I'll modify things, certainly and add and remove, but the systems core seems quite simple to understand. Perhaps a little too simple for some, but as long as everone knows how the thing works, that'll just leave more space for action, I imagine:)
Also I'll get some gaming experience as I know have a greater understanding for this system and might be able to persuade my friends to join in on the one I have in bookform somewhere in my bookcases.(draug, one that I don't think exists in english.)

I'll have a look at your games, Ruhn. I completely agree! People wouldn't play for six years if it wasn't a good game.

Rhun

First Post
Well, after having read some simple wikipedia about some systems, I personally find the FUDGE to be simple and perhaps the system I'll chose for my first game as GM. But I'll definitly try some games that utilize systems like the d20, as there'll be someone there to correct my mistakes:)
I found the fudge to be simple and allrigt as the skills are graded and the dices either lift your ability to a higher level or a lower one, and if it's higher than that of the opponent you will achieve reults, and if you don't, the opponent will. I'll modify things, certainly and add and remove, but the systems core seems quite simple to understand. Perhaps a little too simple for some, but as long as everone knows how the thing works, that'll just leave more space for action, I imagine:)
Also I'll get some gaming experience as I know have a greater understanding for this system and might be able to persuade my friends to join in on the one I have in bookform somewhere in my bookcases.(draug, one that I don't think exists in english.)

I haven't ever played FUDGE, but it certainly looks interesting. With that said, I've got a "system" at home that is extremely simple, too...I can't remember what it is called, but it is literally like only a 10 page document. All of the rules are set up to be completely customized by the Gamemaster. I'll have to take a look for it so I can tell you what it is.

Remove ads