Let's Talk About Solo TTRPGs

Reynard

Legend
I have really enjoyed Ironsworn: Starforged, and bought the Mythic GM Emulator but have not actually used it yet (I'm not even really sure how). I like the idea of being able to play a solo TTRPG to help me learn the rules of a game I want to run, but I am also interested in the idea of just playing for fun.

So: do you solo? What sorts of solo games do you prefer? What specific solo RPGs would you recommend? What non-solo RPGs work well as solo RPGs with a GM emulator? What is your favorite set of solo rules for non-solo RPGs?

Thanks!

Occasionally. Back in the first summer vacation after I learned to play, I played a few days of AD&D1e generated from the tables in the back of the DMG. But recruiting some people and teaching them was more fun.

This weekend, I'm playtesting a kickstarted solo quest. But in between, nothing for decades.

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
I've tried both Ironsworn and Thousand Year-Old Vampire, but it just isn't clicking for me so far, despite liking the design of both games. I just haven't quite found a way around the Czege Principle yet.

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
I can’t force you to find something fun that you don’t, but I started to enjoy solo play a lot more once I allowed almost everything to be randomized including the adverse effects. That way you can blame the dice (that you rolled) and the oracle (that you interpreted) rather than yourself. Err… yeah.
Sure, I see that. I suppose part of this is really just my coming to terms with what I enjoy about RPGs. Solo RPGs seem like they should be fun when I read them or read about them, but so far? I get this journey of self-discovery instead.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I found Thousand Year Old Vampire to be one of my most profound RPG experiences and Colostle to be a frustrating system screwing up my enjoyment of a great setting. Both games memorialized here in Story Hour form.

I'll be doing a solo play of Castaway next and am eyeing Notorious. (The core setting elements of Starforged aren't for me, unfortunately.) And when SoloDark comes out later this year, I'll definitely be picking that up.

Remove ads