• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

a Treatise in Stealth

Seeing the RSS feed each day, I have noticed that above all things people are confused about stealth mechanics.

I think we should sort this out. I'm going to list the entire stealth excerpt and we are going to make this clear to everyone.

Firstly, I posted what is in the PHB regarding the stealth skill. phb 188

Stealth: Part of Whatever action you are trying to perform stealthily.
Opposed Checks: Stealth vs. Perception (see the talble for modifiers to your check). If there are multiple observers your stealth check is opposed by each observer's Perception check.

Cover or Concealment: Unless a creature is distracted, you must have cover against or concealment from the creature to make a Stealth check. You have to maintain cover or concealment to remain unnoticed. If a creature has unblocked line of sight to you (that is, you lack any cover or concealment). he creature automatically sees you (no Perception check required).

Superior Cover or Total concealment If you have superior coer or total concealment, a creature can't see you and can't be sure you are present, knows the direction to your location, and has a vague idea of the distance between the two of you. If its Perception check beats your Stealth check by 10 or more, the creature can pinpoint your location until the end of your next turn, even if you move.

Distracted Creature: If a creature is distracted, you can attempt to hide from that creature even when you don't have cover or concealment. In combat, creatures are assumed to be paying attention in all directions. Outside combat, a creature might be paying attention to something in a certain direction, allowing you to hide behind the creatures back. You make a stealth check as normal to avoid the creature's notice, since it might hear you.

Success: You avoid notice, unheard and hidden from view. If you later attack or shout, your no longer hidden.

Failure: You can't try again unless observers become distracted or you manage to obtain cover or concealment.

combat advantage: You have combat advantage against a target that isn't aware of you.

Light source: Observers automatically see you if you're carrying a light source.

I know what you're probably thinking. Your thinking you jump up and stab the monster. next round you (shift) and dart (move) to the treeline, seeking to obtain the shadows to cloak you from the enemy.

Firstly, this can be done, but not the way ya might be thinking.

Take the first example, say you strike an enemy, and you dart inside the tree-line.
You cant make a stealth check until the next round.

Why?

Stealth: Part of Whatever action you are trying to perform stealthily.

This means stealth isnt an action, but part of an action.

To perform a stealth check at all, you must have cover or concealment.

This means what you can do is move to the tree line, hope the monster doesnt wack you, and on your next turn you can make a stealth check. Say your check succeeds, what now?

If you arent going to apply a ranged power, you must get back in melee. If a monster has unbroken line of sight to you, you are unstealthed. So how do you get to the monster?

You have to a.) keep cover the whole way across. b.) of course beat preception checks.

1 way is to wait till you can approach the creature when the creature doesnt have line of sight to you.

The other ways, I cant think of atm. Maybeh you can

yu gnomi

Explorer
I think you are missing one of the sticky points in entire stealth discussion: Warlock's Shadow Walk power (PHB pg 131).

As long as Warlock moves at least 3 squares every round, he always has concealment. Why, in particular should Stealth rules show an overwhelming favoritism to one class? (I am talking here about rules as used by a DM, not necessarily RAW)

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Also - once you've moved to the tree line, you DO have cover or concealment. At that point, you can choose to make your stealth check - just like you don't have to make a jump check when you start moving - merely when you arrive at whatever you wish to jump over.

Remove ads