D&D 5E A Wizard's Guide to Fighting

TheOneGargoyle

Explorer
Ok, now that I've had a chance to go through the whole guide, let me start by saying, OMG, seriously GREAT work @aadu !! Let me list some of the things I love about this guide:
  • I love the fundamental premise that you're not trying to prove who's superior but endeavoring to establish that if an EK has a valid place in the frontlines dealing melee dps then a bladesinger does too. This is quite simply brilliant and exactly what is needed IMHO, for the people who say they shouldn't be there.
  • I love that you're approaching it from the angle of a pure class melee gish, and not insisting that the choices are either a) to multi-class to be an effective, survivable melee, or b) to stay purely a back-line spellslinger with defensive perks.
  • This is exactly the sort of character build I want to play, so it gets even more bonus points for that from me :)
Some questions/comments/observations:

Accuracy calculation
In your DPR calculations, you use a base accuracy of 55%. Not that this really matters b/c as near as I can tell it will just scale everyone's accuracy equal so the effect on overall DPR calculations will be the same across the board. But, purely for curiosity sake, I wondered why you decided to use that figure ?

Near as I can tell, using the table from the DMG p274 and assuming the party are fighting monsters of CR equal to their level, the base hit chance without magic items will normally be 65% (assuming as you do attack stat of 18 at L4 and 20 at L8). Also based on an analysis I saw somewhere that AC of monsters seemed to follow a trend of approx 12 + CR/2.5 with a std deviation of only about 2 AC, that would tend to imply that using 55% means the party is usually fighting monsters of approx 5 CR higher than their party level.

This seems quite high, although as I say, I don't think it really effects anything since it will apply to all characters equally, but I was just curious.

Action Surge DPR
In your DPR spreadsheet, you used an approximate value for Action Surge as 10% based on 2 combats of about 5 rounds each for a total of 10 combat rounds per short rest.

In my game combats only tend to go about 3 rounds. So out of interest, I edited a copy of the spreadsheet to show the effect of variance in that figure.

It was very interesting to me to see that if I made the # rnds / SR = 6 (% boost = 16.7%), the overall DPR graphs for EK & bladesinger tracked more closely across the level range.

If you are interested, I'd happily DM you my version if you wanted to take a look.

Defense Calculation
In your "cheat sheet" of overall which was better at each level (which is a fantastic way of doing it I think), the Defense ends up looking like EK for L1-3, Tie for L4-9 and BS from 10+. And yet the main quantitative measure used throughout the guide is HP, which the EK has clear dominance for L1-3 (same as Defense win), <=20% difference for L4-11 (very similar to the Tie Defense level range), and then again clear dominance for L12+ (whereas Defense table shifts this to BS win).

I know BS gets Song of Defense at L10, and my gut sense is that you're right and at teen levels and up the BS will probably win Defense but I can't help but feeling it all gets a bit hand-wavy and qualitative compared to the rigour you've put into the quantitative DPR calculations. It might be too hard to do, but gee I'd love it if there was some way of being able to have a more rigourous, quantitative way to work out the defense too. I also wonder if it's entirely fair to consider the BS to have bladesong up for all encounters, esp at lower levels, some days 2-3 uses might be plenty but some days it won't at all. This is the single biggest concern I have post-Tasha's changes.

I originally thought of an Effective Health calculation, but given that their AC's are so similar through the range, it wouldn't end up being much different to the raw HP values. I wonder if there's a way of being able to make assumptions on the frequency of use of things like Song of Defense, Indomitable, etc, the same way you've done with Action Surge, BA attacks etc, and come out with a Time To Live or something ? I know it would be highly variable with things like # hits, size of hits, to hit modifiers etc but could we make assumptions about that the same way we've made with PC accuracy ?

My rationale here is that with the TCoE changes to Extra Attack, not too many EK's would dispute that it gives higher DPS than their own War Magic feature, so awarding BS the higher Offense isn't likely to be as contended. But EK being a heavy armour fighter, there's likely to be more contention that a pure wizard in light armour or no armour at all and 30% less hit points should be awarded the higher Defense. It's also the main driving point supporting the conjecture that Bladesingers shouldn't be in the front lines, it's not that they can't put out the dmg, it's that they're too squishy. So, if there's anything we can do to have more numerical support, it might go a very long way indeed. I'd be happy to help if you wanted ?

Race
I love that you've gone with High Elf / Eladrin. I love it so much. Not because I don't like min/maxing (I do btw), and not because I'm a purist that thinks that non-elves shouldn't be bladesingers (I'm not), but simply because I agree that the question of whether bladesingers should be able to be in melee combat or not shouldn't rely on some niche build, but should be demonstrated by a "normal" build (whatever that means). Great spot in the DMG variant of Eladrin for the Misty Step too.

As an aside, I also love that you've made a slightly unconventional choice of 16 Con. I would never have considered that if I hadn't seen it in your guide, but this is a great idea. I admit, it's a tradeoff with only having 14 Int, and potentially a significant one too, but if we're building a pure wizard to be able to survive in melee combat with barbarians, fighters, paladins, etc then it should totally be on the table. Kudos there !

You have a slight typo in the second sentence of this section btw, the starting array has 10 Wis & 10 Cha instead of 12 & 8 that you describe in your point-buy first sentence.

Build Comparison
You probably want to keep the same build on the EK throughout the whole process, but it's interesting that at L1 the main difference is that the EK is using a shield and hence has 2 higher AC, and the BS has higher DPS due to using an offhand weapon. If the EK wasn't using a shield for that 1st level, they'd be pretty much the same in both.

Btw, the way you've done the build section with a level by level breakdown including thoughts on why you chose different things and notes on how to use them in combat is absolutely top-tier, you should be extremely proud of doing this, it sets the bar pretty high for other guides ! Thank you :)

One thing the writeup doesn't seem entirely clear on, is even after you take Spirit Shroud, when you actually use it over Shadowblade. I can see in your DPS Spreadsheet in the Bladesinger Main Cycle tab, you list the progression and alternatives with DPS (this is gold btw, thank you for this as well!!), but comparing that to the Notes on Choices & Notes on Combat section from the build guide, it's hard to tell which one you're recommending as they seem a bit contradictory to each other.

Another thing that I found a little unclear is that you seem to have an option in there for a variant build which uses the TCoE rule to swap the +1 from Int to Con, and then takes slightly different Feats/ASI's as it levels. But it's a bit hard to track which is where, maybe it could be clarified a bit or a bit easier to find all the bits ? Perhaps in the very end section on Feats/ASI's options you could show an alternative build summary for this version ?

I find I very much agree with pretty much all of your spell choices too, there's very little in there I disagree with at all. I also really love that you've included some options in there for things like Animate Objects and Tensor's Transformation but haven't based the build or the calculations on them. To me, those are great "sometimes" options but a bit cheesy to base everything on.

Also, at L20 you advocate swapping to L7 spell slots for Spirit Shroud, although you previously said you would only do that when you could reliably cast them 3 times per day, usually when you get 2 of those slots from the wizard level progression and a 3rd from Arcane Recovery. But Arcane recovery says none of the slots regained can be higher than 6th level, and a 20th level wizard only gets 2 x 7th level spell slots, so strictly speaking using this rule you wouldn't use L7 slots for Spirit Shroud. Of course you could just use your 8th level slot for it, but that seems a bit of a waste ....

Ok, I think that's it. Once again, thank you doing such awesome work on this guide, I absolutely love it !

aadu

Villager
Ok, now that I've had a chance to go through the whole guide, let me start by saying, OMG, seriously GREAT work @aadu !! Let me list some of the things I love about this guide:
  • I love the fundamental premise that you're not trying to prove who's superior but endeavoring to establish that if an EK has a valid place in the frontlines dealing melee dps then a bladesinger does too. This is quite simply brilliant and exactly what is needed IMHO, for the people who say they shouldn't be there.
  • I love that you're approaching it from the angle of a pure class melee gish, and not insisting that the choices are either a) to multi-class to be an effective, survivable melee, or b) to stay purely a back-line spellslinger with defensive perks.
  • This is exactly the sort of character build I want to play, so it gets even more bonus points for that from me :)
Some questions/comments/observations:

Accuracy calculation
In your DPR calculations, you use a base accuracy of 55%. Not that this really matters b/c as near as I can tell it will just scale everyone's accuracy equal so the effect on overall DPR calculations will be the same across the board. But, purely for curiosity sake, I wondered why you decided to use that figure ?

Near as I can tell, using the table from the DMG p274 and assuming the party are fighting monsters of CR equal to their level, the base hit chance without magic items will normally be 65% (assuming as you do attack stat of 18 at L4 and 20 at L8). Also based on an analysis I saw somewhere that AC of monsters seemed to follow a trend of approx 12 + CR/2.5 with a std deviation of only about 2 AC, that would tend to imply that using 55% means the party is usually fighting monsters of approx 5 CR higher than their party level.

This seems quite high, although as I say, I don't think it really effects anything since it will apply to all characters equally, but I was just curious.

Action Surge DPR
In your DPR spreadsheet, you used an approximate value for Action Surge as 10% based on 2 combats of about 5 rounds each for a total of 10 combat rounds per short rest.

In my game combats only tend to go about 3 rounds. So out of interest, I edited a copy of the spreadsheet to show the effect of variance in that figure.

It was very interesting to me to see that if I made the # rnds / SR = 6 (% boost = 16.7%), the overall DPR graphs for EK & bladesinger tracked more closely across the level range.

If you are interested, I'd happily DM you my version if you wanted to take a look.

Defense Calculation
In your "cheat sheet" of overall which was better at each level (which is a fantastic way of doing it I think), the Defense ends up looking like EK for L1-3, Tie for L4-9 and BS from 10+. And yet the main quantitative measure used throughout the guide is HP, which the EK has clear dominance for L1-3 (same as Defense win),
I know BS gets Song of Defense at L10, and my gut sense is that you're right and at teen levels and up the BS will probably win Defense but I can't help but feeling it all gets a bit hand-wavy and qualitative compared to the rigour you've put into the quantitative DPR calculations. It might be too hard to do, but gee I'd love it if there was some way of being able to have a more rigourous, quantitative way to work out the defense too. I also wonder if it's entirely fair to consider the BS to have bladesong up for all encounters, esp at lower levels, some days 2-3 uses might be plenty but some days it won't at all. This is the single biggest concern I have post-Tasha's changes.

I originally thought of an Effective Health calculation, but given that their AC's are so similar through the range, it wouldn't end up being much different to the raw HP values. I wonder if there's a way of being able to make assumptions on the frequency of use of things like Song of Defense, Indomitable, etc, the same way you've done with Action Surge, BA attacks etc, and come out with a Time To Live or something ? I know it would be highly variable with things like # hits, size of hits, to hit modifiers etc but could we make assumptions about that the same way we've made with PC accuracy ?

My rationale here is that with the TCoE changes to Extra Attack, not too many EK's would dispute that it gives higher DPS than their own War Magic feature, so awarding BS the higher Offense isn't likely to be as contended. But EK being a heavy armour fighter, there's likely to be more contention that a pure wizard in light armour or no armour at all and 30% less hit points should be awarded the higher Defense. It's also the main driving point supporting the conjecture that Bladesingers shouldn't be in the front lines, it's not that they can't put out the dmg, it's that they're too squishy. So, if there's anything we can do to have more numerical support, it might go a very long way indeed. I'd be happy to help if you wanted ?

Race
I love that you've gone with High Elf / Eladrin. I love it so much. Not because I don't like min/maxing (I do btw), and not because I'm a purist that thinks that non-elves shouldn't be bladesingers (I'm not), but simply because I agree that the question of whether bladesingers should be able to be in melee combat or not shouldn't rely on some niche build, but should be demonstrated by a "normal" build (whatever that means). Great spot in the DMG variant of Eladrin for the Misty Step too.

As an aside, I also love that you've made a slightly unconventional choice of 16 Con. I would never have considered that if I hadn't seen it in your guide, but this is a great idea. I admit, it's a tradeoff with only having 14 Int, and potentially a significant one too, but if we're building a pure wizard to be able to survive in melee combat with barbarians, fighters, paladins, etc then it should totally be on the table. Kudos there !

You have a slight typo in the second sentence of this section btw, the starting array has 10 Wis & 10 Cha instead of 12 & 8 that you describe in your point-buy first sentence.

Build Comparison
You probably want to keep the same build on the EK throughout the whole process, but it's interesting that at L1 the main difference is that the EK is using a shield and hence has 2 higher AC, and the BS has higher DPS due to using an offhand weapon. If the EK wasn't using a shield for that 1st level, they'd be pretty much the same in both.

Btw, the way you've done the build section with a level by level breakdown including thoughts on why you chose different things and notes on how to use them in combat is absolutely top-tier, you should be extremely proud of doing this, it sets the bar pretty high for other guides ! Thank you :)

One thing the writeup doesn't seem entirely clear on, is even after you take Spirit Shroud, when you actually use it over Shadowblade. I can see in your DPS Spreadsheet in the Bladesinger Main Cycle tab, you list the progression and alternatives with DPS (this is gold btw, thank you for this as well!!), but comparing that to the Notes on Choices & Notes on Combat section from the build guide, it's hard to tell which one you're recommending as they seem a bit contradictory to each other.

Another thing that I found a little unclear is that you seem to have an option in there for a variant build which uses the TCoE rule to swap the +1 from Int to Con, and then takes slightly different Feats/ASI's as it levels. But it's a bit hard to track which is where, maybe it could be clarified a bit or a bit easier to find all the bits ? Perhaps in the very end section on Feats/ASI's options you could show an alternative build summary for this version ?

I find I very much agree with pretty much all of your spell choices too, there's very little in there I disagree with at all. I also really love that you've included some options in there for things like Animate Objects and Tensor's Transformation but haven't based the build or the calculations on them. To me, those are great "sometimes" options but a bit cheesy to base everything on.

Also, at L20 you advocate swapping to L7 spell slots for Spirit Shroud, although you previously said you would only do that when you could reliably cast them 3 times per day, usually when you get 2 of those slots from the wizard level progression and a 3rd from Arcane Recovery. But Arcane recovery says none of the slots regained can be higher than 6th level, and a 20th level wizard only gets 2 x 7th level spell slots, so strictly speaking using this rule you wouldn't use L7 slots for Spirit Shroud. Of course you could just use your 8th level slot for it, but that seems a bit of a waste ....

Ok, I think that's it. Once again, thank you doing such awesome work on this guide, I absolutely love it !
I'll respond tomorrow to your points but thanks for reading! I truly appreciate the feedback and kind words.

The guide has obviously clicked for you in the way I would hope it would for some.

This is the build I've been searching for in dnd as well and really just wanted to prove its viability.

Cheers!

aadu

Villager
Alright, here goes,

Accuracy calculation

I've always seen 60% as the baseline % to hit number. The 55 gets the 5% chance to hit added to it for 60. I've seen it most often use on Treeantmonk's channel. As you say it doesn't matter much as long as you're consistent but for me its a nice number to keep coming back to. Its definitely more useful in this situation to have this consistent number to compare against across builds as well as to bump it up or down by 5% if you have magic weapons or are delaying an attack stat bump.
Action Surge DPR

I'd love to take a look! Yeah, depending on your game the comparison can get a lot closer or farther apart. If you're actually playing in long/many (3 combats/SR/10+ round) combats the BS build will do quite poorly in comparison to the EK as well.
Defense Calculation
In your "cheat sheet" of overall which was better at each level (which is a fantastic way of doing it I think), the Defense ends up looking like EK for L1-3, Tie for L4-9 and BS from 10+. And yet the main quantitative measure used throughout the guide is HP, which the EK has clear dominance for L1-3 (same as Defense win), <=20% difference for L4-11 (very similar to the Tie Defense level range), and then again clear dominance for L12+ (whereas Defense table shifts this to BS win).

You're hitting the nail on the head here for some of what I was struggling with when writing this guide. You're exactly right that this guide does not have a nice quantitative comparison of defence. I try to chart HP against each other but it's very hard to measure utlity and mobility and how much HP they're worth. I would be very interesting in trying to standardize a Time to Live statistic that can be exactly measured though I'm not sure if its possible. I'd love any help at all with that.

In the same vein I'd see value it a more quantitative "utility" statistic where the BS would blow the EK out of the water.

That being said I do think that late game wizards have more than enough tricks up their sleeves to keep up in melee. Song of defense, misty step, and shield availability in the amount that wizard has it is enough already in my options.

It also comes down to preference. Some players might want to play a character that can soak lots of hits and this character can definitely not do that (though it does do it alright by boosting CON).

Though I haven't played this exact build yet (I have played bladesingers), I think I might run hill dwarf purely for the extra HP, though only if I can swap the WIS for DEX.
Race

Yeah take 10/10 WIS/CHA or 12/8. I think 12/8 is probably better for this character. There's lots of solid races like dwarf, human, custom, hobgoblin, tortle, whatever else but Elf does tick more boxes than most.

And yeah, I was building my own BS and trying to figure out how to make it work in melee and then realized I didn't really need INT that much. From there I started prioritizing con and fleshing out the google doc.
Build Comparison

I made a mistake in the initial release and discounted shadow blade damage early on (turns out its better than spirit shroud until late). I need to go through another pass of the guide and update this correctly. Both spells are solid and you might only need one or the other.

If you're getting 16 CON at level one I would take Warcaster at 4. If you have 15 I'd take Resilient(CON) at 4 and then boost DEX either way at 8 and 12. You have some leeway here especially since you aren't maxing DEX though. You can mix things up if you want.

I am saying that you are casting the third shroud with the level 8 slot. It's late game though and you're a wizard. Go buck-wild. You'll find it hard to not be effective.

TheOneGargoyle

Explorer
Alright, here goes,
Thanks for the reply ! :)
I've always seen 60% as the baseline % to hit number. The 55 gets the 5% chance to hit added to it for 60. I've seen it most often use on Treeantmonk's channel. As you say it doesn't matter much as long as you're consistent but for me its a nice number to keep coming back to. Its definitely more useful in this situation to have this consistent number to compare against across builds as well as to bump it up or down by 5% if you have magic weapons or are delaying an attack stat bump.
Oooh, ok, if Treantmonk uses that figure then I'd probably go with his, he's more likely to have the right of it than me I would say. Having said that, my calcs are pretty simple (maybe that's the issue?), I've sent it in case you want to have a look.
I'd love to take a look! Yeah, depending on your game the comparison can get a lot closer or farther apart. If you're actually playing in long/many (3 combats/SR/10+ round) combats the BS build will do quite poorly in comparison to the EK as well.
Cool, I've sent it in a "Conversation", is that the same as a Private Message/Direct Message on these boards ?
You're hitting the nail on the head here for some of what I was struggling with when writing this guide. You're exactly right that this guide does not have a nice quantitative comparison of defence. I try to chart HP against each other but it's very hard to measure utlity and mobility and how much HP they're worth. I would be very interesting in trying to standardize a Time to Live statistic that can be exactly measured though I'm not sure if its possible. I'd love any help at all with that.
Hmmm ... ok, just spit-balling here, but what if we made an assumption (at least to give us a starting point) that the fight is against monsters with CR equal to the PC level, and use the Attack Bonus & Expected DPR from the same table on p274 of the DMG ? We could use the Adventuring XP/day table on p84 of the DMG combined with the XP Thresholds on p82 to work out an averaged encounters per day, which looks to be about 6-8 Medium, 4-5 Hard or about 3 Deadly encounters per day.
Unless they're doing a dungeon bash or something, I don't know of any tables that actually do that many encounters per day, but that's the guidelines in the DMG.
Now b/c of the Tasha's changes to # of bladesongs, it would mean the BS won't have enough bladesongs for all encounters of a day ... it feels a bit like cherry-picking, but it's also to make the maths easier I guess, but what if we said something like 3 Hard-Deadly Encounters per day in which the BS will use both a bladesong and a conc spell (Shadowblade, Spirit Shroud, etc) and 3 Easy-Medium encounters per day in which they won't use either ? (we'd need to check this fits into the xp per day though).
We can then use the XP by CR table on p10 of the Monster Manual and use our assumed rule of fighting monsters of CR equal to PCs (or maybe vary that by 1 CR up or down for the harder or easier encounters?) and that would give us average Attack bonus & DPR for a set of encounters per day for each PC level.
It's a bit of cross-referencing obviously, but it would give us what we need .... what do you think ?
In the same vein I'd see value it a more quantitative "utility" statistic where the BS would blow the EK out of the water.
Yes, this would be interesting to see but I think Utility is an order of magnitude harder to quantify than Defense ...
That being said I do think that late game wizards have more than enough tricks up their sleeves to keep up in melee. Song of defense, misty step, and shield availability in the amount that wizard has it is enough already in my options.
My gut feel says the same but I feeling some EK's might at the very least want some persuasion :)
It also comes down to preference. Some players might want to play a character that can soak lots of hits and this character can definitely not do that (though it does do it alright by boosting CON).
Well, even tho we're not prioritising Intelligence, a 14 and at later levels, more, means we're still smart enough to prefer NOT to be hit I think :)
Though I haven't played this exact build yet (I have played bladesingers), I think I might run hill dwarf purely for the extra HP, though only if I can swap the WIS for DEX.

Yeah take 10/10 WIS/CHA or 12/8. I think 12/8 is probably better for this character. There's lots of solid races like dwarf, human, custom, hobgoblin, tortle, whatever else but Elf does tick more boxes than most.

And yeah, I was building my own BS and trying to figure out how to make it work in melee and then realized I didn't really need INT that much. From there I started prioritizing con and fleshing out the google doc.
Nice.
I made a mistake in the initial release and discounted shadow blade damage early on (turns out its better than spirit shroud until late). I need to go through another pass of the guide and update this correctly. Both spells are solid and you might only need one or the other.
Ahh yep, that makes sense.
If you're getting 16 CON at level one I would take Warcaster at 4. If you have 15 I'd take Resilient(CON) at 4 and then boost DEX either way at 8 and 12. You have some leeway here especially since you aren't maxing DEX though. You can mix things up if you want.
For sure. Was thinking that very end section might be a good place for some notes to that effect.
I am saying that you are casting the third shroud with the level 8 slot. It's late game though and you're a wizard. Go buck-wild. You'll find it hard to not be effective.
Ahh, yep, gotcha. Maybe you could call that out somewhere (if you didn't already - maybe I missed it).

Love it, keep up the awesome work !!

Hohige

Explorer
The Shadow Sorcerer level 8 is probaly the strongest melee.

Level 8​

HP: 58

AC: 19 (Mage Armor and Dual Bladed feat)

Attributes: STR: 8, DEX: 20, CON: 16, INT: 8, WIS: 12, CHA: 14

Saving Throws: CHA, CON

Feat: Weapon Master (+1 Dex), Dual-bladed Scimitar (+1dex and +1AC), Elven Accuracy (+1DEX),

Metamagic: Quicken, Distant Spell

Cantrips: Booming Blade, Minor Illusion, Mage Hand, Blade Ward,

Spell Known (9 Spell known, Darkness extra spell)

• 1st (4 slots): Shield, Absorb Elements, Mage Armor, Sleep
  • 2nd (3 slots): Darkness
  • 3rd (3 slots): Counterspell, Fear, Fireball
  • 4th (2 slot): Polymorph, Dimension Door, Fire Shield

Highlight:

You are untoucheable with 19 AC + Shield Spell for Sweet 24 AC and apply disadvantage with Darkness Spell (Sorcerer's Eye of Darkness). Disadvantage against 24 AC is insane.
You have 120ft range darkvision, you an excelent explorer.
You can counterspell freely because you are on Darkness
He have free triple advantage with Darkness Spell.
You can blast at 320ft because you cast Distant Fireball
All your spells apply disadvantage with Shadow Sorcerer's
The Hound of III Omem is a "Dire Wolf", It has Pack Taticks for advantage and DC 13 against Knockdown effect... So, It's average +10 damage, knockdown effect and apply disadvantage against your spells.
You can cast Distant Dimention Door to teleport 1000ft
You can Quicken 2x into a Giant Ape (Polymoprh) and use your action to attack.

Damage without expeding recources.
Triple advantage with high chance of critical hit +8 to hit
Action 2d4+5, bonus action 1d4+5, +2d6+3 (the hound) damage.
It's avg 33,5 damage with triple advantage and knockdown effect.

Damage expending recources.

Booming Blade for 15 damage +10 the hound + Quicken Upcast Sleep level 4 for average 50 HP. If the creature has less than 75 Hp, then, It's sleeping now.
It's a incredible lockdown to an powerful enemy or PC.

Distant Fireball can devastate enemies at long distance... It's an terrifying for enemies.

You can lockdown a spellcaster casting Quicken Dimension door + Booming Blade. The spellcaster is under your Darkness Spell, vulnerable to your counterspell.

If you are dying, use Quicken Polymorph as bonus action and attack with his action for sweet +9 attack dealing avg 50 damage per turn + The hound damage and lockdown. You have now 152 HP.
If the hound knockdown the enemy, the Giant Ape has advantage against that creature, It's insane.
With Quicken Spell, you are the only spellcaster who can become a Giant Ape or T-Rex and still attack in the same turn. This is a subject.

Lockdown, The Hound apply disadvantage againt your spell and you cast fear spell. The target is dead.

For these reasons I say, this is the most powerful melee.

Last edited:

TheOneGargoyle

Explorer
Ok, I made a couple of simulators using your AC & Hp data for both BS & EK from your guide doc.

Check it out here. Yellow shaded cells are parameters to vary the calculations (play with these), grey shaded cells are data input (eg from DMG tables), green shaded cells are calculation results of particular interest and white (unshaded) cells are just normal calculations.

The DPR / TTL tab has seperate areas for Easy, Medium, Hard & Deadly encounters, each area looks up the XP budget for an encounter of that difficulty, calculates the CR of monsters with that xp budget, and then calculates the expected DPR against both the BS and the EK and their respective TTL figures.

It's interesting to see that the EK TTL definitely starts out much higher but the difference gets significantly less at higher levels. But currently the calculations only take into account AC & Hps, it doesn't factor in any other defensive measures such as casting Shield, using Second Wind, Song of Defense, etc

The Enc/Day tab has mostly data tables, but does have calculations to estimate how many encounters of varying difficulties make up the daily xp budget. The interesting thing about that is that it shows that the daily xp budget is all over the shop, and not remotely consistent. I played around with many, many different combinations here and it was hard to get anything that made sense at all levels, and still stayed roughly within the recommended 6-8 enc/day guideline. About the closest I could find was 2 Deadly and 2 Medium enc/day, but even the variance goes from +12% to -13%.

To Do Next:
  • The Encounter Length parameter doesn't do anything yet. I was going to use conditional highlighting on the TTL columns and have them change to red if the TTL was <= Encounter Length (ie the PC died before the encounter finished) but couldn't get it working.
  • The "% of Attacks against PC" parameter is a bit clunky, my idea was that if we had standard party of 4 PC's, of which 2 were melee (the BS & the EK maybe?) and the other 2 were ranged/spellcasters, then more of the attacks would probably target the melees than the ranged/spellcasters (at least, I'm sure the ranged/spellcasters hope so!), so this was a way to represent that. I don't know, maybe there's a better way to do this ?
  • As I said above, about the best mix of Enc difficulties that most closely matched the daily xp budget was 2 Deadly and 2 Medium, but maybe there is a better combination ? If so, maybe we could play around with different combinations to try to find a better match ?
  • Once we settle on # of enc/day and of which difficulty, I think we need to make some choices/assumptions about which ones the BS uses bladesong on, how many casts of shield it would use, how many Song of Defense, etc.
  • Then I guess we can just a) do raw DPR calcs for the enc and see how far through they both live, or alternatively b) we can mock up a day as being a chain of encounters of certain difficulties, with short rests alternating in there and spending HD to recover hps, etc etc (this seems much harder to me). Again, maybe there's a better way ?

Anyway, that's a starting point, take a look and tell me what you think.

Edit: PS, I've realised that the guide assumes access to magic weapons at appropriate levels, but not to magic armour (other than the +1 studded for the BS to free up a spell slot). To be reasonable, we should probably include +2 & +3 Studded for the BS, and +1 - +3 Plate and +1 - +3 Shield for the EK at appropriate levels - what do you think ?

Remove ads