• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A world with only... warlocks?

Empath Negative

First Post
One thing I find fascinating is that there would be no "lawful good" magic users, not even neutral good.

In fact, users of magic in this setting would be either varying degrees of evil, kinda nuts or seriously nuts.

Any Evil, any Chaotic.

How would this shape the political landscape? Even if an individual warlock is very powerful... they're certainly not invincible and COULD be killed simply by the masses. However, even if they couldn't be king I could see them being shadowy puppet masters... but lords over an evil empire? Not so much.

Dandu

First Post
Given how horrible most ancient and medieval royal dynasties were IRL, I doubt you'd see anything we haven't seen before.

Empath Negative

First Post
Given how horrible most ancient and medieval royal dynasties were IRL, I doubt you'd see anything we haven't seen before.

We'd see the value of UMD skyrocket.

In fact, the clergy, if there is one... would be composed almost exclusively of rogues using magic items to cure illnesses.

Religious worship would revolve around "missionaries" who go and scour catacombs, tombs, dungeons and what not in order to procure these relics.

Dandu

First Post
We'd see the value of UMD skyrocket.

In fact, the clergy, if there is one... would be composed almost exclusively of rogues using magic items to cure illnesses.
Or Warlocks who do the same.

Religious worship would revolve around "missionaries" who go and scour catacombs, tombs, dungeons and what not in order to procure these relics.
Sounds like a pretty fun idea.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
The gods and the world would be pretty pissed that no one was worshiping them, since Clerics and Druids are out. I'd imagine that would have some sort of effect.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Actually, anyone can worship a god and grant the god power.
sure, but no one is embodying what "Faith" looks like.

Are we talking a world where all other magic used to exist and then something happened to change it, or Warlock is the only way it's ever been?

Darathin

First Post
The Major gods could be very cruel, seeing as how the only supernatural powers in the world would be ether evil or chaotic. Maybe a monotheistic world? Maybe no god, but any group of people that can shoot black stuff from their hands is bound to have some type of religious thing about, regardless of the divine.

A clergy of warlocks could be played out something similar to the[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Oprichnina (spelling?). Black monks free to travel where ever they will and do whatever they deem necessary to complete the mission. [/FONT]

Last edited:

Remove ads