Level Up (A5E) A5E Contingency

Huntedown

Villager
Good evening every
Everyone: Good evening Dr. Nick
After some debate on our new wizard that just turn lv 13, we start looking at A5E contingency and 5e contingency. And ohhh boy the debates....
One of the thing that we saw is that Contingency in A5E has no restiction of 1 contigency max unlike their 5e counterpart
Here's a couple trouble we came across
Ex 1:
Contingency: When targeted by a spell, cast invisibility
Enemy wizard cast hold person --> Invisibility
What happen to the hold person spell
  1. Does the wizard lost his spell and action
  2. Does the wizard can target someone else with the spell
  3. Does the wizard simply lose his action
Ex 2
Contingency: When targeted by a spell, cast invisibility
Enemy wizard cast Guiding Bolt --> Invisibility
  1. Does the wizard lost his spell and action
  2. Does the wizard can target someone else with the spell
  3. Does the wizard cast the spell with disadvantage (as per invisible status)
Ex 3
Contingency: When targeted by a spell, cast misty step
Enemy wizard cast Guiding Bolt --> Misty Step
  1. Does the wizard cast guiding bolt at where the target was and misses
  2. Does the wizard cast guiding bolt, if the target is still within the range of the spell it attack as normal
  3. Does the wizard cast guiding bolt, if the target is out of range of the spell the spell slot is spent and fizzle
Contingency, the spell that raise the most discord :)

Edit
Ex 4
Contingency: When attack in melee cast thunderwave
Enemy ninja goblin attack the wizard --> cast thunderwave
  1. Can thunderwave be used in contegency (it is a self spell)
    1. Does the ninja goblin takes damage?
    2. Does it get knock back?
  2. Same thing for burning hand (self spell)
As part of this spell, cast a spell of 5th-level or lower that has a casting time of 1 action, expending spell slots for both. The second spell must target you, and doesn't target others even if it normally would.

Last edited:

1. you've already been targeted, the spell takes hold.
2. given that blur in response to an attack is a specific example the spell gives, i'd say 3 (you've already been targeted, but it still modifies the attack roll).
3. both 2 and 3 - they aren't mutually exclusive (it can't be 1 because guiding bolt targets a creature, not a space - if you picked, say, fireball, and the misty step got you out of the fireball's radius, then that would be a 1 situation).
edit:
4. i think nothing happens to the goblin, because (like you posted) contingency doesn't let you target others even if the spell normally could (although i don't really think it'd be TOO broken to allow thunderwave/burning hands/etc. to work - i think the clause is mostly for things like feather fall or fly).

Regarding 4, I think there's a gray area involving the ability to see (or at least perceive) the target or triggering action. In the example of the spell, blur is cast when the wizard sees the attacker.
This condition however is not explicitly required in the spell's description, so in principle one could just say "when I'm attacked", meaning that an invisible target would still trigger the contingency. I think this may be a bit too much, but still this is a 6th level spell which also requires to burn a 5th or lower level spell.

TerranHirons

Villager
reading contingency on both the original pdf and a5e tools it seems to have been unchanged from o5e, casting contingency again ends the previous one, just like it did in o5e. im curious what gave you the idea that it had changed.

Remove ads